What's new

best blade & razor pairing ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

_20211025_141433.JPG
3rd and final use of 3rd Dorco Titan blade, this time with the Haward razor, a nice smooth 10/10, changed my usual routine slightly, normally 2 passes wtg & xtg with a 3rd touch up and that is always fine, but today i tried 3 full passes wtg, xtg & atg it felt fine until i applied the Osma Alum afterwards, my face was stinging, so i will just stick with my 2 passes and touch up from now on๐Ÿ™„, although the shave itself was nice๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
_20211025_141502.JPG
usual start with the PAA Ice Cube, brush...GFCC synthetic, bowl...the new one from Giles Shaving, soap...Shannons Pineapple Banana, finished with Osma Alum, Clean Shaven balm and some Mugler Cologne, as some of you guys already know i love my banana soaps and Shannons is no exception, think this was just my second use of it, but a lovely slick lather and a great scent, one i would have no hesitation in replacing when eventually finished, the Giles shaving bowl too is highly recommended plenty of room for whipping up a fantastic lather with no overspill, so till next time guys, happy shaves all๐Ÿช’๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
ย 
_20211028_134125.JPG
1st use of the 1st Shaverboy blade(with thanks to Brent @SharpieB for sending me the blades) with the s/s Timeless 0.95 razor, a lovely close, comfortable 9.8 2 pass shave with this blade wtg & xtg, with my usual 3rd touch up on neck, ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
_20211028_134151.JPG
usual pre shave with the PAA Ice Cube, a bit of a Truefitt & Hill day, with the T&H brush in "super" & the T&H West Indian Limes cream, whipped up in the Captains Choice heavyweight copper bowl, then finished off with the Osma Alum, some Clean Shaven balm, and a few squirts of the lovely Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb scent to finish, a nice enjoyable shave today, till next time happy shaves all๐Ÿช’๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
ย 
Honestly as cliche as it sounds, the following.

Gillette Heritage safety razor
Gillette King blade or Gillette Platinum Blue...........one of the best shaves I get. If not always the best shave I get is from that combo.
ย 
_20211106_175728.JPG
2nd use of 1st Shaverboy blade with the blue/chrome DLC-Yaqi razor, lovely smooth 10/10, had over a week of growth, the more growth i have the better and smoother my shaves seem to be, this one was no exception, i really enjoy the Shaverboy blade, it's a blade I'd definitely keep in my rotation๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
_20211106_175823.JPG
pre shave...PAA Ice cube, brush...red Omega 10049 boar, bowl...ivory Steve Woodhead Suribachi, shaving soap...Mogno Ach Brito, finished off, with Osma Alum, Clean Shaven balm and a few squirts of Stirling Barbershop EDT
_20211106_175757.JPG
happy shaves all until next time๐Ÿช’๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
ย 
Last edited:
Do all Blade companies pair blades with razors? Like I bought the Feather razor and yeah their blade works best. Vander hagen blades did work well in theirs too. Not best though.
Does gillete or others pair products?
ย 
Do all Blade companies pair blades with razors? Like I bought the Feather razor and yeah their blade works best. Vander hagen blades did work well in theirs too. Not best though.
Does gillete or others pair products?
well they kind of recommend that you use their blades in their razors, just from a financial standpoint i suppose as they want you to spend on their products, but most blades will work with most razors, some much better than others though๐Ÿค”
ย 
@bluesparkuk , Hello :001_smile

I like your post, it is very interesting and enriching. I have a small question to ask you, the plating of the Haward EJ89 clone is good, it holds well ?

Thanks.
ย 
@bluesparkuk , Hello :001_smile

I like your post, it is very interesting and enriching. I have a small question to ask you, the plating of the Haward EJ89 clone is good, it holds well ?

Thanks.
mines is the larger Muhle R89 Grande, with a side by side comparison with the Haward you can see and feel the difference in quality, the Haward still feels and looks decent too though, if you don't want the extra expense of the Muhle R89 then the Haward is a good alternative, ive posted a pic below to show the difference between them both, the Muhle R89 Grande on the left๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
_20211110_132041.JPG
ย 
_20211115_021525.JPG
3rd use of 1st Shaverboy blade, with the black Barbarossa brothers Ottoman razor, lovely 9.8/10 shave, really like these Shaverboy blades, and the Barbarossa Ottoman is a lovely razor as well, nice weight to it and great quality๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
_20211115_021617.JPG
pre shave...PAA Ice Cube, bowl...Foxy Rosalita, soap...Stirling Barbershop, sample size, brush...orange 26mm DS Cosmetics silvertip,finished with Osma Alum and some Clean Shaven balm, till next time, happy shaves all๐Ÿช’๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
ย 
_20211119_154348.JPG
4th use of 1st Shaverboy blade with the Executive Shaving Outlaw razor with 0.72 head, lovely smooth 10/10 today, wtg & xtg, didnt even particularly need my 3rd right side of neck touch up as usual as my neck even felt smooth today after just the 2 passes, really nice๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
_20211119_154410.JPG
pre shave...PAA Ice Cube, bowl...the new grey & black bowl from "Fine", soap...Tabula Rasa patchouli, brush...Razorock synthetic beehive, finished as usual with the Osma Alum block and Clean Shaven balm, and a few squirts of L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme Sport, the Tabula Rasa is titled as a soap, but its a very soft soap almost more like a cream to me, but its very good and enjoyed using it๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
_20211119_154252.JPG
until next time, happy shaves all๐Ÿช’๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
ย 
One of the pleasant unexpected things I found when I went all vintage for both blades and razors was that pairings don't matter. Its always a close comfortable shave.
ย 
_20211125_195053.JPG
5th use of 1st Shaverboy blade with the Feather AS D2 razor, certainly not the best shave ive had, possibly 8/10, 3+ passes, wtg, xtg & atg and i still needed some extra work under my nose when finished, and still not the smoothest of shaves, i won't put it down to the blade being near it's end as the same blade gave me a 10 last shave, i would think this particular pairing is not one i'd use again as it wasn't the most enjoyable๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿผ
DSC_0242.JPG
pre shave...PAA Cube, bowl...Captains large copper, brush...Oumo 26mm Lotus Manchuria bulb, soap...P&B Star Noir, finished with usual Osma Alum, Clean Shaven balm and a few squirts of St James of London, Mandarin & Patchouli Cologne, although a brush needs time to break in so cant judge by first use, but i can't say it's the best feeling brush in my rotation, hopefully I'll change my mind after a few uses, till next time happy shaves all๐Ÿช’๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
ย 
_20211209_214331.JPG
6th and final use of 1st Shaverboy blade with the red DLC-Yaqi razor, a few days growth, and a nice close 9.5/10 shave, 3 passes, wtg, atg and usual 3rd touch up especially on usual right side of neck area, think the Shaverboy blade would probably be good for another 2 or 3 shaves, but i'll use a fresh one next time๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
_20211209_214413.JPG
pre shave...PAA Ice Cube, soap...Zingari The Magician, brush...Omega boar, bowl...the new orange 3d printed one that i received today via Etsy( i was looking forward to giving it a try๐Ÿ˜), post shave...Osma Alum finished off with some Clean Shaven balm, until next time happy shaves all๐Ÿช’๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
ย 
My top 3 blades on my top 3 DE razors.

Timeless Ti .68 OC - Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Wilkinson Sword White, Gillette 7 Oโ€™Clock Super Platinum Black
Timeless Ti .95 Scallop - Rapira SuperSteel White, Gillette Wilkinson Sword White, Voskhod Red
Blackland Blackbird Ti - Personna Platinum Red, Rapira SuperSteel White, Gillette 7 Oโ€™Clock Sharp Edge Yellow
ย 
_20211223_201952.JPG
1st use of 2nd Shaverboy blade with the Omega Barberpole razor, first shave in a few days, so had quite a bit of growth, a nice 9.8/10 shave๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
_20211223_202018.JPG
started as usual with the PAA ice Cube, then the Chiseled face "banana" soap, the new yellow DS Cosmetics fake Pereira bowl, and the Captain Fawcett brush in "super", then finished with the Osma Alum, Clean Shaven balm and TOBS Eton College Cologne to finish, i think I've found a new favourite shaving soap, my first use of the Chiseled face banana and WOW what an incredible lather, i look forward to using the other Chiseled face soap that i purchased, if it's anything like this first one then i think I've found my new favourite brand, if you haven't tried Chiseled face, get some, you won't be disappointed๐Ÿ’™, really enjoyed tonight's shave, happy shaves๐Ÿช’ all, and have a nice Christmas time๐ŸŽ…, till next shave๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
ย 
_20220119_171443.JPG
2nd use of 2nd Shaverboy blade with the black/chrome DLC-Yaqi razor, 1st shave since Christmas, I'd not been feeling very well for last 2-3 weeks(I've been fine for last few days) don't know if i had Covid, but i hadn't been out anyway, but first time in my life I've had a real beard and tache๐Ÿ˜…, it's great to feel clean again๐Ÿ˜‰, anyway it took about 4 passes and a touch up to get a 9/10,had a couple of nicks one under nose and one on chin, had to even remove blade and rinse a couple of times that i don't normally do ๐Ÿ™„all in all i feel great again though๐Ÿค—
_20220119_171528.JPG
PAA Ice Cube to start, cream...Supermax Classic tube, the orange Giles Shaving bowl, brush...Hawkins & Brimble synthetic, finished with Osma Alum block and some Clean Shaven balm(enough left for probably another 2 shaves), until next time happy shaves all๐Ÿช’๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
ย 
20220204_115625.jpg
3rd use of 2nd Shaverboy blade with the DS Destroyer razor,a few days growth again, a decent 9.5/10 smooth all over apart from my usual spot on right side under chin neck area,that feels a little sandpaperish๐Ÿ˜„, 2 passes wtg & atg and the usual 3rd touch up pass๐Ÿ‘
20220204_115602.jpg
pre shave...PAA Ice Cube, bowl...Captains heavyweight copper, soap...Oumo Smoking Monster Palace of Bliss, brush...DS Cosmetics Silvertip, post shave...Osma alum block and some Clean Shaven balm,finished off with a few squirts of YSL L'Homme,1st use of the Oumo shaving soap,a nice scent and a good creamy lather,its nice,worth purchasing for sure and it's a reasonable price,what's not to like๐Ÿ˜,until next time happy shaves all๐Ÿช’๐Ÿ‘
ย 
Last edited:
This thread started off as a best blade/razor pairing thread,being honest though,i think i'd say it's actually turned into more of a shaving journal for my own benefit,i will be keeping it going,i do hope if anyone follows the thread,that they enjoy reading and gives people a bit of incentive to try certain things,happy shaves all๐Ÿช’๐Ÿ‘
ย 
Top Bottom