What's new

best blade & razor pairing 👍🏼

20230211_130808.jpg
6th and final use of the 2nd Personna Apache blade,this time with the Executive Shaving Outlaw razor with the 0.72 head,a nice 9.8 shave today on over a weeks growth,amazing how clean and fresh it makes you feel after a nice shave😁
20230211_130740.jpg
as always start with the PAA Ice Cube,soap...Martin De Candre Fougere,brush...Sawdust Creations handle with the "best" knot,bowl...Giles Shaving,finished with a rub of Osma Alum,a few squirts of Barts Balm Ben Lomond then a splash of Wholly Kaw Rebelle,just opened the Wholly Kaw today so first use, smells lovely and fresh,not a strong scent but nice nonetheless,until next time my friends,happy shaves all🪒👍🏼

5th use of 2nd Personna Apache blade with the Executive Shaving Outlaw razor with the 0.72 head...

You are one of the few using Apache Personna titanium blades. How do you find them?

Are they comparable to the usual Personna blades (like the Personna "Lab Blue")?

Have you tried Apache Personna platinum blades?

Apache Personna Platinum.png

You are one of the few using Apache Personna titanium blades. How do you find them?

Are they comparable to the usual Personna blades (like the Personna "Lab Blue")?

View attachment 1644924
I find the Apache a very good blade,really comparable to any of the other top blades,give them a try you'll like them,don't think i have the "lab blues"(without looking)in my blade collection👍🏼

View attachment 1644924
I find it interesting that the box says "Made in U.S.A" but the EBay listing says "Made in China".

Is China part of the US now?

Not a political statement, just pointing out the discrepancy.

I'll use this thread to experiment each 3 days or so, which blades are best with each safety razor, i'll post shortly the 15 razors and the selection of blades that will be getting used in the experiment, the eventual choice may well take quite a while to get through all razors and blades, but we'll get there in the end, if anyone else wants to participate with any razors and blades that i don't have in my rotation, all participation will be welcomed👍🏼
Interesting but the other important factors and variables is the face & stubble ( few more too- prep, soap..) . Not even getting into the change of blade, with the second and third use!
So I am not sure it would help others. Could be wrong...but have fun.....
We have to always remember in shaving, there are a lot of permutations. Not one or two....
For me, I have already narrowed down my pairing and I know what works best for me and the targeted razor. I have over 30 in den one ( downstairs bath) , and 21 in den two ( upstairs master bath).
The blade farm is Feather, Bic C.P. and Persona only.
Now most of my orphaned odd blades that I don't use, I give to my younger brother who is staying with us.
Now he will use any blade and just doe not care. He his great and also asks and uses a lot of my DE's.
So thanks and I will gracefully pass....and again, always have fun...
Cheers
BFX

I find it interesting that the box says "Made in U.S.A" but the EBay listing says "Made in China".

Is China part of the US now?

Not a political statement, just pointing out the discrepancy.

I bought some a card of those. The package I received does not say "made in USA" or "Personna." I haven't tried to translate the Chinese on it yet though. The tucks are typical of Chinese blades. I've only tried one blade for one shave yet. It's definitely sharp, a bit harsh. Too early to judge yet.

I have some of the older green Apache Personnas but I will have to did them out and use one to compare.

I bought some a card of those. The package I received does not say "made in USA" or "Personna."

Perhaps yours didn't say "made in USA" or "Personna", but you can see the listing I linked to clearly does. I have no idea regarding the quality of the blades. Until very recently, I was unaware of their existence. I was just amused by the mismatch between the tuck and the description.

Perhaps yours didn't say "made in USA" or "Personna", but you can see the listing I linked to clearly does. I have no idea regarding the quality of the blades. Until very recently, I was unaware of their existence. I was just amused by the mismatch between the tuck and the description.

The listing you linked to is where I bought them from. I see my typo too now.

Never can tell if the seller is:

- lazy and never changed the picture

- unscrupulous, hoping the buyer doesn't read the description

- unknowing of their mismatched picture and description (unlikely in this case)

Anyways lancre, I'd be happy to send you some if you would like to try them.

I just dug out a tuck of my Apache blades,although the box is slightly different,it doesn't say where it's made(not in English anyway)🤔
20231001_130124.jpg
Screenshot_20231001_131243_AliExpress.jpg

Last edited:

I think you listed the explanations for the mismatch in the right order of likelihood.

Thanks for the offer, @TheBigL, but I think I'll pass.

After trying 10+ brands of blades in my Henson V2 +++, I finally have found the best blade pairing for my face and shave technique.
It is the Personna Med Prep (printed For Hospital Use). Previous to trying this blade, I would have said Feather and BIC.
For me, the Personna blades are very sharp, cut well, and also very smooth. So far this blade has shaved closer than either of my 2 previous favorites...based on my face after 24 and 48 hours. At 24 hours, there was minimal stubble. My shave with this blade was on a 3 day beard. I do like Nacet, Permasharp and KC Gillette blades for smoothness, but they are definitely not as sharp as Personna, Feather and BIC. BIC's have a QC issue, since around 15% of them are duds. So far, none of the other brands have suffered the same quality issues. I will need to use at least 10 of the Personna's, in order to confirm they have consistent quality.

In case anyone was following this thread,I changed from safety razors to using straights,so any posts would have been few and far between,so was easier just to leave the thread as it was,in case anyone wondered why it stopped🫡...others are welcome to add to it though if they wish👍

Top Bottom