What's new

Best adjustable safety razor, your favourite

Does it provide a highly efficient shave with fewer weepers/irritation compared to other razors? That seems to be the consensus and I’m leaning toward the Konsul over the Ambassador for this reason.
It is a efficient razor (but that's also blade dependent to an extent). It is so easy to shave with it feels like cheating. It's pretty forgiving.

Does it provide a highly efficient shave with fewer weepers/irritation compared to other razors? That seems to be the consensus and I’m leaning toward the Konsul over the Ambassador for this reason.
It does. I didn’t keep mine because I found that want the same sort of blade engagement on both ends of the razor, and the slant made the two ends of the blade shave very differently. But yeah, it’s pretty smooth and efficient as a whole.

It does. I didn’t keep mine because I found that want the same sort of blade engagement on both ends of the razor, and the slant made the two ends of the blade shave very differently. But yeah, it’s pretty smooth and efficient as a whole.
How weird. I wonder if they’ve corrected that inconsistency in recent iterations of the Konsul.

Hi all, I'm wondering which adjustable you prefer is it a newer, vintage, cheap, expensive tell me about it
Personally I'm looking for one as well I need something versatile to take down 3/4 days of growth when needed
I've been looking at several ones but I'm still undecided here's my list so far

Gillette slim adjustable ( when I ever find a mint one for a reasonable price)
Gillette fatboy ( same ⬆️ )

Merkur progress
Viking blade emperor

I like the rockwell model T as wel but it comes with a serious price tag
I have a 1959 Gillette Fatboy, it us unbelievably smooth on any setting from 9 all the way to 1 with a Feather blade, Voskhod are even smoother I love it. I bought a Pearl Flexi about 2 weeks ago, my 1st shave was with a Feather set on 6, I noticed quite a bit of blade feel so I adjusted down to 3 and still a little blade feel, but I REALLY like the Flexi. I would love to have a Rex Ambassador but just don't have deep enough pockets. You might try a Pearl Flexi or Gillette Fatboy, just my 2 cents.

Rockwell model T gives me best shaves, but yes, is pricey now (I got it at almost half the current price, being an early supporter). Recently decided to try a Viking Emperor Meiji. Bit quirky, but shave-wise almost as good.
That's the problem. A little better. I have a few of the lower cost ones as well and feel the same. Maybe it will last longer? I don't think so.

I start on setting "7" (one full turn from 1 to, well, 1) for my WTG pass, and I go up to "11" from there (setting 4, but after the initial full turn) for XTG. If I'm feeling ballsy and try an ATG pass on my neck, I usually turn it all the way down to 2 or 3 (actual). Please keep in mind I have the titanium version, so the aggression is turned down a bit compared to the stainless version due to its lower weight; the efficiency, however, is retained.
I was shaving with my Taiga last night thanks to this discussion when I realized that I did my math wrong here. My XTG passes are done at a “10”, not “11”. It’s still a 4 on the dial (1.5 turns from start), but I guess I just can’t add. 🤷🏻‍♂️

@LeroyR I have to say I admire how can you shave with Taiga on 7 and 11 settings..
I shaved today, 1 day of growth (I always shave daily) and WTG 4,5 XTG was 2,5 and ATG 1,5. Already first pass WTH on 4,5 was what I still like as a comfort shave but definitly not more (for daily) and not much left to shave. As usually for me I used Perma-Sharp blade. Taiga can be used as only 2 pass razor.
But same as always (for that I bought Taiga also in Ti) I love that versatility of Taiga, from mild like Masamune with no blade feel on low numbers to high that I will never try but it is there if needed.

The Pearl Flexi OC is a solid brass adjustable that is a terrific razor...it's the only adjustable I have and I used to have a fair number of them.

Rex Ambassador. But my Ambas is a little to the right of the 1 setting when I attach a blade. The lowest setting seems to be 1.20. In the videos, it starts with a setting like 0.5. I think there is a calibration problem.

Gibbs! 😍

IMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

Top Bottom