What's new

Best adjustable safety razor, your favourite

Hi all, I'm wondering which adjustable you prefer is it a newer, vintage, cheap, expensive tell me about it
Personally I'm looking for one as well I need something versatile to take down 3/4 days of growth when needed
I've been looking at several ones but I'm still undecided here's my list so far

Gillette slim adjustable ( when I ever find a mint one for a reasonable price)
Gillette fatboy ( same ⬆️ )

Merkur progress
Viking blade emperor

I like the rockwell model T as wel but it comes with a serious price tag
I have several adjustable razors, both vintage and new. The one I prefer is the Gillette Slim. Its hard to beat perfection.

I have several adjustable razors, both vintage and new. The one I prefer is the Gillette Slim. Its hard to beat perfection.
I love the idea of the Gillette Slim. American made, will last forever, iconic.
But I just get terrible shaves with it compared to my Merkur progress, Tatara Muramasa and HLS Taiga and Yaqi adjustables.

What’s been your experience with the efficiency and irritation level compared with the slim to the newer adjustable razors?

I love the idea of the Gillette Slim. American made, will last forever, iconic.
But I just get terrible shaves with it compared to my Merkur progress, Tatara Muramasa and HLS Taiga and Yaqi adjustables.

What’s been your experience with the efficiency and irritation level compared with the slim to the newer adjustable razors?
I tend to get a good, irritation free shave with any razor that I use from my collection. Its just years of practice. For me, its more the technique, not the razor that leads to a good shave. (And a good blade of course).

Zule, make sure the safety guards are not bent, nearly every Gillette adjustable I've had was dropped at some point, and if the guard gets bent down they become extremely "aggresstive" due to very large blade exposure. Sometimes the get bent up, too, but that makes them so mild you have trouble removing stubble.

They also get stuck, so that turning the adjuster doesn't move the tray, but that only happens when they are stuck at 1.

One other issue, someone managed to get the adjuster turned past the stop and it's "overclocked" and ranging from 10 to 18, not 1 to 9. The cure for that it so press the click spring in and turn past 1 (there is a stop machined in the nut that the spring hits) and it will then work normally. There should be minimal gap with the razor set on 1. At 5 it should have a gap very similar to a Tech or SuperSpeed.

nearly every Gillette adjustable I've had was dropped at some point, and if the guard gets bent down they become extremely "aggresstive" due to very large blade exposure. Sometimes the get bent up, too, but that makes them so mild you have trouble removing stubble.

Quite true...there is no way of telling whether you are getting the vintage Gillette as the manufacturer intended.

Parker Variant OC. Smooth, forgiving, efficient.

Before that, it was the original Parker Variant.

By extension, should probably also include Merkur Progress since Variant head is copied from that razor.

No other razor I've ever used comes close in terms of efficiency and smoothness.

Yaqi final cut for me . I have one thats a bit overclocked to say the least .
It goes to 10.75
But I get fantastic shaves at all settings from 1-5 on it .

I have heard setting 1 on YFC is like setting 6 on a Slim and that the overclocked settings on YFC are comparable to Ikon Tech

I have a Muhle r41 on the way , so will be interested to compare it to YFC on its higher settings

Where
Zule, make sure the safety guards are not bent, nearly every Gillette adjustable I've had was dropped at some point, and if the guard gets bent down they become extremely "aggresstive" due to very large blade exposure. Sometimes the get bent up, too, but that makes them so mild you have trouble removing stubble.

They also get stuck, so that turning the adjuster doesn't move the tray, but that only happens when they are stuck at 1.

One other issue, someone managed to get the adjuster turned past the stop and it's "overclocked" and ranging from 10 to 18, not 1 to 9. The cure for that it so press the click spring in and turn past 1 (there is a stop machined in the nut that the spring hits) and it will then work normally. There should be minimal gap with the razor set on 1. At 5 it should have a gap very similar to a Tech

One other issue, someone managed to get the adjuster turned past the stop and it's "overclocked" and ranging from 10 to 18, not 1 to 9. The cure for that it so press the click spring in and turn past 1 (there is a stop machined in the nut that the spring hits) and it will then work normally. There should be minimal gap with the razor set on 1. At 5 it should have a gap very similar to a Tech or SuperSpeed.
Where do you recommend I try one from? Razor Emporium?
An expensive NOS?

I just fixed the ones I got. Ask in Buy, Sell, Trade too, someone may be happy to sell you one at a reasonable price.
Bit the bullet on a Fatboy from Razor Emporium. I’ve heard good and bad things about their razors that are refurbished. I had both a slim and Fatboy and liked the Fatboy more but they both were not great razors for me, always lots of irritation especially the neck. Maybe I got a couple bad razors or maybe my technique has gotten better, we shall see. I’ve been on a razor buying kick lately, it’s been a lot of fun to be honest

You should be able to find a setting on either that gives you irritation free shaves -- I can go from literally not removing the stubble to skin removing gap on mine! Set on 1 it won't shave me, and I've yet to find a blade that requires a setting of 9.

Watch the angle, they both work better at neutral to shallow. Wide gap and steep shaving angle will scrape your skin raw.

Top Bottom