What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2021

CAA3C65E-FFA1-4A4D-B550-C7123AC292BA.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
How is this one? I've seen it before, but never picked one up.
Tough one to describe. The first thing I thought of when I tasted it was a tart, like almost mouth puckering tart, over sweetened spiked seltzer. It has a salty brine like undertone due to the added salt. I wasn’t terrible but I wouldn’t go searching for it. I can see it being a good beer out on a boat or at the beach. I’ve only had one so far, if my opinion changes after a few more I’ll change my assessment.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
When will the IPA craze die?
Probably never. They can be brewed faster with a higher alcohol content than lagers so all the small craft breweries will continue to do them. Also if the batch turns out bad just throw more hops at it and call it dank. The newer varieties of hops that are being cultivated add citrus notes to something that at one time was mostly just bitter and by using different hops in the same recipe you can get a totally different taste. There are some good IPA’s out there but I’m getting tired of trying to find them. Personally, I’d rather have a stout or a Porter.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Probably never. They can be brewed faster with a higher alcohol content than lagers so all the small craft breweries will continue to do them. Also if the batch turns out bad just throw more hops at it and call it dank. The newer varieties of hops that are being cultivated add citrus notes to something that at one time was mostly just bitter and by using different hops in the same recipe you can get a totally different taste. There are some good IPA’s out there but I’m getting tired of trying to find them. Personally, I’d rather have a stout or a Porter.

Damn. Thanks for the bad news :lol: . That is some good insight in to the brewing process though. There are a few IPA I enjoy, but only a few.

When will the IPA craze die?
“Probably never” is about what I was going to say… and in certain areas/markets I definitely don’t think they’re done in an impressive way, no matter how popular they are overall.

Personally, I’d rather have a stout or a Porter.
Me, too. But then you fellows have probably surmised this from my posts. I blame Founder's Porter for steering me in this direction...
20210626_135344.jpg

Karben 4 Brewing, Madison, Wi. Hard to find, but always worth the purchase of a six. I know some of you guys have cats that look like this...

I don't see any IPA craze in my area, at least in terms of limiting choices for me and the styles I seek; maybe it's a local thing ("Well, WE like IPA's... what's YOUR problem!?!?":biggrin1:).

If anything, COVID has played a significant role in what's being offered. A LOT of taprooms were closed earlier this year, and I think that restricted feedback over what sold and what didn't. A lot of brewers probably stuck to old standbys to weather the storm.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Me, too. But then you fellows have probably surmised this from my posts. I blame Founder's Porter for steering me in this direction...
Founders was a big influence on me as well. Living in Grand Rapids for 5yrs really opened my eyes to the different styles of beer. Founder’s, Bell’s, and New Holland seem to be the brands you can find easily outside of GR but there are many many more. There was a grocery store called Horrack’s close to my house that had an amazing selection of bottled/canned beer as well as a tap room that had like 16 taps of nothing but small/independent beers both local and from across the US. You could fill growlers or just buy a pint to drink while you shopped. Dang I miss that store.

Having a Goose island Oktoberfest before my usual high life.
Oktoberfest inventory update 6-30 ;)
1 paulander Oktoberfest
1 goose island Oktoberfest
13 sam adams Oktoberfest
looks like if I drink 1.x a week, I will have an uninterrupted supply of Oktoberfest til its in stock again :)

Founders was a big influence on me as well. Living in Grand Rapids for 5yrs really opened my eyes to the different styles of beer. Founder’s, Bell’s, and New Holland seem to be the brands you can find easily outside of GR but there are many many more. There was a grocery store called Horrack’s close to my house that had an amazing selection of bottled/canned beer as well as a tap room that had like 16 taps of nothing but small/independent beers both local and from across the US. You could fill growlers or just buy a pint to drink while you shopped. Dang I miss that store.
Michigan seems to be great for that kind of stuff. A good friend of mine lived in West Bloomfield and while visiting him we stopped into a store by his place to pick up some local beers, I was blown away that they had beer on tap and growler fills available there.
I was also incredibly jealous that they had a great selection of Weller's at normal prices (not the jacked up amounts we see here in CA the last few years).

Top Bottom