What's new

Beauty and the Beast

For you guys that followed my ugly brush handle PIFs you know I pour the leftover resin from casting into a mold to eventually turn rather than waste it. Up until now it's usually resulted in a layered look. For The Beast I decided to flip the mold around at different angles to see what I'd come up with. The results were STELLAR! Without a doubt it's my ugliest handle to date and will go into a PIF in the future. As for Beauty, I knew when I poured it I was going to like this one. Unfortunately there's a very tiny pinhole from an air pocket on the underside of the bead so I don't know if I'm going to keep it. Casting with pressure is 99% foolproof but once in a great while you still end up with a flaw. Why couldn't the ugly sister get the pimple on her nose? I used the same knot for both so it isn't set, they just look better with some hair. If I decide to keep Beauty I'll put a new knot in it. Here she is:

IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1646.JPG IMG_1647.JPG IMG_1649.JPG

Actually I think they look pretty good. Reminds me of the tie-dye t-shirts I had in my younger years.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Jay, They are both very nice but I must say I like the Beast a tad more !
How did that dot happen ?

Very nice. The beauty is very nice, but something about the beast speaks to me more.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

@DCRIII - thanks Dave. I'm with you all the way on this one.

@Hoka Hey - Thanks! I had no intention of making a pair yesterday but time allowed me too. I also made a resin bud vase as a gift for a coworker, it was a great day in the shop.

@Lightcs1776 - Thanks! Ah yes, the tie dye. I had a fair number of those myself.

@Quijote - thank you. Your reasoning is sound, I didn't look at it that way.

@Graydog @matwho @ED3054 @Tommy Tutone @RedsFan75 - thanks guys. Taste is purely subjective, and it seems you're actually the majority. I rushed through the turning without giving much thought to form because I didn't like the blank at all. In fact, I was just going to scrap it altogether. It looked terrible after I shaped it but softened up a bit once sanded and polished. Who knows, this could go to one of you guys since it will be part of a group of ugly brush handles I'll be PIF'ing once I get all the blanks turned.

@KeenDogg @calhoun1 Thanks guys. I'm surprised anybody at all likes The Beast, especially the majority, I think it looks awful. On the other hand, I'm very pleased with Beauty. I guess I'm the one with a rather questionable taste? Regardless, one of you guys wil get a crack at it in the future, I'm still debating on PIFing Beauty as well.

I agree with you that Beauty looks better than the Beast. Granted, I don't think the Beast is awful. If the Beauty was mine, I would nickname it Crawford. It is a super model with a beauty mark.

Top Bottom