What's new

BBQ Joints in your Area

There is one chain here, Bodacious, but I really don't care for it.

I grew up on Boadacious BBQ - the original on Highway 42 was close to home. The quality of those vary from store to store based on the franchisee. The one I go to now in Arlington is one of the better ones. My favorite thing about Bodacious is the beans. Best beans I have ever eaten at a barbecue place - not a hint of sugar, which is rare for a barbecue joint.

There are a ton of good joints in DFW. My new favorite is Lockhart Smokehouse in the Oak Cliff neighborhood in Dallas. I'm taking some friends from East Texas there on Thursday before a show at the Kessler Theater. It's payback for them taking us to Stanley's in Tyler last time we were out that way.

You saw it here first

:lol:

Here are some pictures of the 'original' Dinosaur Barbecue in Syracuse, New York.

$iu-2.jpeg
$iu.jpeg

$iu-3.jpg

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I grew up on Boadacious BBQ - the original on Highway 42 was close to home. The quality of those vary from store to store based on the franchisee. The one I go to now in Arlington is one of the better ones. My favorite thing about Bodacious is the beans. Best beans I have ever eaten at a barbecue place - not a hint of sugar, which is rare for a barbecue joint.

There are a ton of good joints in DFW. My new favorite is Lockhart Smokehouse in the Oak Cliff neighborhood in Dallas. I'm taking some friends from East Texas there on Thursday before a show at the Kessler Theater. It's payback for them taking us to Stanley's in Tyler last time we were out that way.
Is there any greater gift than the gift of BBQ?

I'm still exploring BBQ joints in Nashville. I'm pretty new to the South. My favorite place so far is Peg Leg Porker. Typical go-to is a half rack of ribs, dry rub, side of baked beans and either fries or potato salad. I'll try to snap a photo the next time I make it out there.

I was on a road trip for work this past weekend and had the occasion to try One & Only BBQ in East Memphis, on the advice of a friend. Probably the best BBQ I've had. Ribs were killer. They have a fairly extensive menu so I will try to concoct an excuse to go back.

I work at a mom and pop shop in Columbus, Ohio. A city not known for anything but it is America's test market...

We're a BBQ brewpup and I would wager we are more known for our ales. The Q ain't bad. I'm biased but the brisket we do is some of the best out there. It has won some ribbons at events!

I went there for years before applying for a job. I took my the lady of my life there for our first blind date. Ended up staying for six hours and closing the place down. She loved the beer and the brisket (and the baseball game on the projector- shes a keeper ;))

It has part of a southern smokehouse feel but also kind of corporate feel since we are casual dining and have a host stand and menus, not cafeteria style dining.
http://www.smokehousebrewing.com/

Franklin's made me realize that I actually liked brisket and that I had just never had good brisket. It's currently still my favorite that I've tried in the state.

For beef ribs I like Louie Mueller's in Taylor.
$louiemuellers.jpg$louiemuellers2.jpg

I also like Cooper's in Llano
$coopers.jpg
$coopers2.jpg

However, there are many other good BBQ places in this state.

Last edited:
There are some good spots in the Houston area. I like Corkscrew in Spring to the north of us.
$corkscrew.jpg
$corkscrew2.jpg

and Killen's in Pearland to the south of us
$killens.jpg
$killens2.jpg

Always a line at all these places but that comes with good BBQ.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
^^^Awesome!!! That beef rib is huge. I'll have to try Louie Muellers in Taylor. It's close enough. Maybe I need to set another "business" appointment in that direction? :lol:

Troutman's in Concord, NC, my hometown. Fantastic BBQ and a local institution for over 50 years.

Here is a description from their website:

Troutman's Barbecue is known for its barbecue, red slaw, and hot sauce. After fifty plus years in business, we know a thing or two about cooking barbecue. We do things the old fashioned way. We only use hickory wood to smoke our pork shoulders. Our Pit Master slow cooks each shoulder for twelve hours. The coals of hickory wood are carefully shoveled under the shoulders by hand. The smoke produced by the coals slowly seeps into the meat for a true, pit-cooked taste in every bite. You don't get this kind of flavor from an electric cooker like our competitors use. All of our barbecue is hand-chopped to order. If you like that hickory smoked flavor, try it with our homemade, vinegar-based slaw and our special-recipe hot sauce on a toasted bun. Around here, we call that a chopped sandwich. But if you've never had one, you'll call it heaven. Here at Troutman's, we do it right.
Oh yeah, and if that doesn't make you come running, we offer lots of home-made desserts like banana pudding, home-made pies, and a variety of cakes that are baked in house, fresh, daily. Wash all that food down with a glass of S&D sweet tea or locally made Sundrop and you'll understand why our customers keep coming back.

$tmans1.jpg

We got top three in a local magazine! I don't really count the winner as BBQ. It is a chain and it isn't very good. Sadly its what people think of as BBQ.

Awesome Thread.

Well a Tucson Establishment closed in the last couple of years, but it was outstanding, the floor was dirty, the joint was in a bad part of town, but for natives it was a landmark. Jack BBQ. Best ribs and Sweet potato pie. the baby backs and pulled pork were so good that, you could not order early, and Jack who opened the place in 1950 would place a piece of notebook paper on the door at closing with 50 slots, you drove down signed up and that is all there was for the day. Fantastic! Jack retired in 2012 and as usual the new owners ran it into the ground.

$Jacks.jpg

Now, there is only one decent place, its close to the house, and it I still very good, but not Jacks.

$Bubbs.jpg

A nice menu ranging from steaks, ribs, and a very good pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw to die for.

For many years there was a great one in Boca Raton, FL. The place was called Tom's Place. It started out as a takeout place across from the railroad tracks. The first time I saw it when was I was visiting my parents. I saw a long line of expensive cars in front of what looked like a shack. That was the original Tom's. Subsequently, he opened a no frills restaurant on Federal Highway. The line to get into this place was incredible. My kids loved it and so did I. His ribs, catfish, pulled pork, and brisket were the best I ever had. The side dishes of kale, collards, cornbread, hushpuppes, and black eyed peas were great.

Tom and his wife were deeply religious people. They would employ recovering alcoholics and drug users and were extremely generous to the community.

Unfortunately, Tom's wife passed away after a bout with cancer and Tom became ill. He had children that worked there but the place closed in about 2005 with the death of Tom. I understand that about a year ago his family has opened up a smaller restaurant in Boynton Beach, FL and if I ever get back there I visit it.

Living in Kansas City, I can't drive down the street without a finding BBQ joint/restaurant/food truck. Which explains my waistline.

Top Bottom