What's new

Bay Rum Deodorant

I did a search and found some older B&B threads on this subject. Is there anything new around? I see Stirling has pulled all deodorants for some reason. Are there any artisan or big manufacturers who make a decent bay rum deodorant? Do any of the "natural" ones actually work?

You could try this one:

Bay Rum Deodorant Stick

I've never tried it, but have used their bay rum cologne and aftershave balm. The balm was excellent, with the cologne being okay, with a smoky note that wasn't unappealing, but my wife didn't care for it. This one appears to be natural, too.

I'll give you some friendly advice on searching for deodorants, especially natural ones. It's kind of not a good area to be experimenting with different brands while you go about your day to day activities. This is from my own bitter experience with Petal Pusher Fancies natural deodorants. Their Steam River Rum deodorant smelled great, but I found I had to apply A LOT in order to get any protection, and it was like walking around with axle grease under your arms. As I was adjusting the amount I applied, I once found myself in the embarrassing situation of having the deodorant fail, BIG TIME, at work. I don't think they're in business anymore. There is a thread about it somewhere in the B&B archives.

Good luck, have fun, but be careful in your search!

Don

Thanks Black Adder.

The Bigelow is one I had my eyes on. Have you found any brand of natural deodorant that you think works well regardless of scent?

Have you found any brand of natural deodorant that you think works well regardless of scent?

Uummm... no. But then, the Petal Pusher's fiasco was my only attempt at a diligent search for a natural replacement. I use Gillette's Cool Wave Endurance antiperspirant/deodorant. I know, full of that aluminum stuff and probably bad for me, but it works. It has never let me down, ever. There's lots of stuff out there; definitely poke around and find something that will work for you.

Just have a backup... nothing worse than a public failure in this particular arena:blushing:!

Don

Ogallala Bay Rum Deodorant. No idea if it's any good or not though. But you asked for Bay Rum deodorant.

As far as all natural deodorants go I've used several that are "no aluminum" deodorants and they do work once your body adjusts to them. At first your body is used to the aluminum as an antiperspirant, and dependent on it, so removing it causes the effect you think it would. You sweat quite a bit for a couple weeks until your body adjusts. Once you're past that then you're good to go and the non aluminum one works just as the aluminum one did.

Some use alum blocks as deodorants but I've seen these not work for some, wearing off half way through the day.

I normally use the Arm & Hammer one that I can get from the local WalMart or Target because I can get it locally and it doesn't stain my shirts and turn the underarms yellow. So I can use it confidentially with white shirts. Not sure how all natural it is but my primary concern there was to take away the aluminum and nullify that risk.

I've tried several others including a sample pack from Native and some I've gotten from other local stores and some artisans. The Native one isn't bad but would yellow a white shirt. So I'll use it but not with white. The others I've tried I probably wouldn't use again as they either didn't work well or ruined my clothing.

Last edited:
dfoulk,

I use Arm and Hammer myself right now. I noticed the ingredients for Ogallal are the most similar to A and H or other regular deodorants so I suspect it may actually work. On the other hand, people say the clove smell is powerful in Ogallala which isn't my favorite thing.

I just got the Phoenix Artisans Atomic Age Bay Rum deodorant along with the body soap and a sample of the aftershave/cologne. I would say it is a fabulous bay rum scent, though second to Mystic Waters scent which is a bit mellower and less spicy. MW however doesnt make bay rum deodorant, only soap for shaving and bathing.

I used some of the deodorant but to play it safe I layered it over the Arm and Hammer unscented just to be sure. I really get a heavy cinnamon note or something along those lines. The scent is strong and truthfully I cant stop smelling it. It really is intoxicating. Ill wait and see if it holds up on its own as a deodorant.

I got a whiff of the Ogallala bay at a local store. I was not impressed. Way too harsh for me.

Top Bottom