What's new

Barnes and Noble Nook?

Anyone own one?
Do you like it?
What do you like most?
What do you dislike most?
Was it worth the investment?
Can you get the books you want to read?

I am looking into getting one for my husband and I and want to know from someone that has it already the ins and outs of it.

I don't own one but one of my in-laws is getting one for her birthday this weekend. my wife and I are getting her a Nook cover for her

IMHO, the days of a single use electronic devices are rapidly coming to a close.

Since the nook is only a book reader it falls squarely into this category. As does kindle, and the one from sony. In much the same way that Gillette locks you into buying cartridges, these companies seek to lock you into a proprietary reader that can only be used when you buy books from them.

Reading a book in electronic format is only a matter of software. Almost any multifunction device would be a better choice. Laptop, netbook, smart phone, iPad.

Just my two cents.

IMHO, the days of a single use electronic devices are rapidly coming to a close.
+1

If your husband already has a laptop, netBook, iPhone, Blackberry or similar device, he can get FREE Kindle software to read books on a device he already owns.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1262760722&pf_rd_i=133141011

Barnes & Noble's NOOK may offer something similar in software that can be installed on a number of platforms.

In any case, be sure to consider the Total Cost of Ownership. An item like Kindle or Nook follows the Gillette Business Model, in that they offer you a device at their cost, in the hopes you will generate a large stream of profits by becoming hooked on buying supplies (eBooks) that can only be purchased from one source.

My wife wanted an e-reader for her birthday and we collaboratively researched and shopped. The Nook and Kindle have the eInk display which is a very attractive glare-free electronic paper substitute. My wife's preferences ran towards the larger screen of the Kindle DX, which drove the price sharply higher. With what I read about Amazon's actions to beat the publishers' prices down with their seemingly diminishing clout I was a little worried about buying a reader dependent on an Amazon exclusive format. We visited a local Apple store to see the iPad, since it's in the same rough price range (and size) as the Kindle DX and decided to go that route. We can still buy Kindle books for it but also have the option of B&N or iBooks or whatever muscles in to take advantage of the iPad's popularity.

What compromises are we making by going with the iPad?

- Shiny, backlit screen would be unpleasant to use in a brightly lit outdoor environment.
- Battery duration is laughably shorter than with a Kindle or Nook, once again because of the screen.
- The device is heavier to hold than a Kindle DX and substantially more so than the standard size Kindle and Nook.

These are all considerations that we considered and that my wife is o.k. with, in return for the flexible format, the stunning color graphic capabilities and the variety of Apps to play with.

- Chris

i'm not really sold on e-readers. for me the pros are that you can have an entire library of books at your fingertips. the cons are that it will never replace the feel of a book in your hand.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I have a Kindle as well as a few "multi use" tools. I'm glad I bought the Kindle anyway. It is smaller even than my Asus EEEpc and far easier to access and use in a moments notice. It is roughly the size of a small book even in its leather, book like case. Roughly 5 1/2 x 8 x 1/2 thick.

Mine is filled with books most others probably have little interest in...older theological books, etc.... Most of these were free downloads or 99cent Amazon finds. I love it.

I would guess the Nook is similar but research what book you desire and see which vendor offers them or if one of the internet free platforms support your device.

I looked at the ipad but still prefer my smaller single use tool. I did not want to upgrade to a 3g network just to get books when away from home or have to be near a wifi spot. For many this is not a deal breaker but for me I wanted the access to dowload materials away from home.

I guess what you need to decide first is how this will be used. if it is simply to access electronic books and used mainly at home the laptop access to Kindle, etc... is probably fine. if for use away from home, or not being tied to a table or desk with a laptop a smaller device is better. I have the smaller kindle so even the ipad was a step up in size, weight and expense. I wanted somesthing I could carry anywhere easily in my hand. If I am picking my wife or daughter up somewhere it is easy to grab and read a bit while waiting. I can read easily at my job during breaks and lunch. The larger or heavier it gets the less likely I am to use it.

So, think about where your husband will use this device.

Tony

Last edited:

Since the nook is only a book reader it falls squarely into this category. As does kindle, and the one from sony. In much the same way that Gillette locks you into buying cartridges, these companies seek to lock you into a proprietary reader that can only be used when you buy books from them.

Reading a book in electronic format is only a matter of software. Almost any multifunction device would be a better choice. Laptop, netbook, smart phone, iPad.

Just my two cents.

I couldn't agree more. I did MUCH research on this subject (I'm a nerd and cheap) because I am PCSing to Korea for a year and don't want to bring all my books with me. I finally stumbled across the Bebook Neo. It is from the Netherlands, so it'll take about a week and a half to get to the states but it is WELL worth it. It is about $300 and supports almost every format in the world and you can use any number of free converting software (like calibre) to convert the files to your format. I absolutely love this thing. The battery life is great and it is truly a joy to use. I don't know if you can post links on this site, so you can google bebook and get to their website. They have cheaper and smaller models, as well if that's what you want.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with this company. I found it on google, read reviews and watched youtube videos and ordered it. I know most people in the states don't know about it and I just want to PIF. YMMV.

Is he going to just read? Then I think the Nook is fine. Like everything on this site, YMMV, so I would not buy it without going to a B&N and playing with it. I won't get one because I need to mark-up PDF's, and the current software doesn't allow it. If I got to do more reading for pleasure instead of work, I'd definitely get one. Even if you can get the Kindle software for other devices, the screen on the e-Readers is worth the investment.

While I tend to agree, at the present time the readability and battery life of the single use [Nook|Kindle|etc] e-reader does set it apart from many other single-use doodads like iPods, phones, and PDAs). One other argument, from a robustness standpoint, is the problem that if you carry exactly one device, and it craps out, you lose all functionality compressed into that device. Not the most compelling argument anymore, but I remember when getting a Treo was anathema compared to having a cell phone and a Palm, because of potential failures.

i'm not really sold on e-readers. for me the pros are that you can have an entire library of books at your fingertips. the cons are that it will never replace the feel of a book in your hand.

I agree here, too, but I have so many books (I'm a recovering academic, computer nerd, and English major) that -- provided I could easily make notes in the margins -- I wouldn't mind replacing a LOT of my books with a Nook or Kindle.

My wife has a Nook and really likes it. My only gripe is that when it goes to sleep, it changes the screen to a "screensaver" screen instead of leaving the current page up. The bonus for the Nook versus the Kindle is the expandable memory and marginally better PDF support.

The Bebook Neo is definitely a multi use device. You can mark up your various texts, it has a sketch pad, MP3 playing capability, sketch pad, wi-fi for downloading and a web browser, amongst the probably many other things I haven't read the manual to find out about yet. I am extremely happy with my Neo and, since the latest firmware update, it handles PDFs about as fast as it will handle a .epub or .lit. or .txt. or any of the other formats.

IPad 3G here. Besides reading Apple and Amazon sourced books, and eventually the others, it has Zinio for current periodicals. Of course there are color web, email, contacts, and calendars which sync over the air with my Macs via MobileMe account, not to mention iSSH and iTap which let me remotely access my Unix/Mac and Windows servers remotely. The 3G provides all this and GPS while trucking down the road, as well as on stormy nights when the radio and computer gear are unplugged (now). This is why I wouldn't buy a Nook. YMMV!

I also was looking hard at the various ebook readers and went with a 3G iPad. You get all of the Apple and Kindle books (the Kindle app is nice), and much more. Photography is one of my hobbies and I love being able to take hundreds of photos along and share them with others. It is the best browsing experience I've had, I get my email and many of the apps are just stunning on the big display. The BBC and NPR apps are awesome for news and the $9 Netflix subscription is great for movies.

I also like to download movies off archive.org (100% legal) and I have quite a few older texts (expired copyrights or public domain) in PDF format. Previously, I had printed those out and bound them. Now, I have them in one small device.

I haven't found reading on a backlit screen to be a problem at all. I'm so used to LCD monitors that it doesn't bother me.

That's why I went with and am thrilled with the iPad. And it's only been out for a little over a month. A year or two from now there will be an incredible array of apps that take full advantage of it.

Try out the Nook software download on our laptop or desktop to see if you like the feature set. I've been using it that way for a couple weeks and I like it. It seems to be the most open of the choices.

I'm not sure how I feel about eBook readers.

But this is one opinion.

The way I see it, I like the eInk a lot better than a backlit screen, just because it's so much easier on your eyes. I recently read an article that suggested that subjecting ourselves to direct, artificial light sources like laptop screens (and the iPad screen) all the time -- such as reading in bed, before you go to sleep -- screws up our natural Circadian rhythm and can make it much more difficult to fall asleep, stay asleep, and get enough rest in general. For that reason alone, I think the eInk wins out over the backlit display. Then again, I read a lot in bed, too, and having a soft, diffuse light source on the page is a lot less stressful on my eyes than reading a laptop display.

However, the flexibility of the iPad wins out over the Kindle's or nook's rigid only-get-it-from-here shopping model. I haven't looked into the Bebook Neo, so I don't have any opinions about that particular piece of hardware, but what I would really like to see would be a multi-format iPad-like device with an eInk display for reading books, newspapers, &c., and a backlit display when using the device for web browsing, apps and games, and other non-reading functions. I'm not sure if that's possible from a hardware perspective, and I'm sure it would drive the price up quite a bit, but I think that would be the most attractive option to me, were I interested in buying an eReader.

As it stands, though, I'll stick with using my phone as a phone, my computer as a computer, and my Book as a book. :D

I was not interested in e-readers. Last year I broke down and got a kindle. I really enjoy it. I like the size and weight of it. I travel a lot for work and find that it fits nicely in my briefcase.

I have the kindle app on my Iphone and sync it with my kindle so I can read my book when I don't have it with me. I find the text to be a little small for me. When I increase the size of the font not many words fit on the page.

My wife and I got an Ipad last week. I found it is fine for movies but it is a power hog. The power only lasts for 8 to 10 hours. I get one to two weeks of use off of one charge on my kindle.

My wife just got a "Kobo E-Reader". It is produced through Chapters, so its probably along the same line as the Nook. We both carry books to work almost everyday and decide it might be a better option than the GIANT hardcover book I have right now. After using one a little (and it having the E-Ink display) I am definately sold and will go buy one.

There is a reason why e-books have to be single-use devices. It's the screen. Very easy on the eyes, and more importantly, easier to read in direct light than an iPad or a laptop.

That same screen would be an inconvenience for any kind of graphics-heavy use, which is why they don't add a slew of applications and functionalities.

A good e-reader couldn't be anything else.

For me the deal-breaker on the Nook and the Kindle is the lack of a backlight. I do much reading in bed and would do more if I didn't have to wrangle with a book light. Right now I'm reading books on my iPhone via the Kindle app. It's not the best solution (screen is simply too small) but it gives me backlight text in my bed and doesn't clog up my bookshelves with titles I don't want to own my whole life.

Top Bottom