What's new

Barbershop Scent, what is it?

So I'm a fan of the "shaving shop" scents. I also make shaving soap (just started actually and I'm still in the R&D phase) and was wondering if any of you "fragrance focused" individuals could give me some insight as to what component scents make a good barber shop scent. I'm good with the eucalyptus type scents but the more floral type scents have me stumped (I.e MWF etc). What goes into the more floral type scents to give that classic barber shop scent?

I also posted this in the fragrance section but you soap types (of which I'm one) seem more active on the forums.

For MWF, have you seen the scent description from Kent? "A fine fougere fragrance based around Patchouli, enhanced with extracts of Lavender, Pine and Clove on a spicy base of Nutmeg, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vanilla and Musk". I can maybe detect a little patchouli and lavender, but not without that prompting.

To me barbershop is shorthand for "the scent in that one barbershop years ago", which will vary from person to person: some mix of hair products, aftershaves, and talc. I also find them difficult to break down into components. In the USA it seems like Pinaud Clubman is the most common memory, perhaps because the AS and talc are both still around. Folks call it a fougere but that seems to be a pretty vague term. I get a sweet citrus character, with floral underpinnings. Many gents describe it as "powdery", which does not seem very specific.

After Clubman, Pinaud Lilac Vegetal might be in second place for USA barbershop memories. Not sure if that applies to Canada, and definitely not to Europe.

I agree it seems more about personal memory than ingredients. I too dabble in soaps and many things involving EO's so am very interested in the replies to this thread. Reading the back of lables can be a bit mystifying when the old nose is not getting any of it :001_unsur

Good question Driftwood :popc:

I have found these ingredients to be in good majority of after shaves that are traditionally considered "Barbershop". Citral, Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.

Clubman talc for me. I can't say what it is, but I know it when I smell it (apologies to Potter Stewart).

Thanks for Kent description, I hadn't seen that actually. Seems like pretty complex mix, but I have most of those EO at home so I guess it's time to start doing some mixing. In developing a shave soap I didn't expect the scents to be the obstacle. The formulation seems to have been the easy part. All I have to do now is determine if clay brings any benefit to my formulation and find a way to render tallow on a larger scale. Then it's just playing with scents and waiting for the trial batches to cure (that's the hardest part!).

I agree with others that say it depends on your individual memories. There is no one "Barbershop" scent. If the barbershop you remember uses a certain fragrance like Clubman or Nay Rum then that will form what you think is a barbershop scent. I also think that talc fragrances (commonly used in barbershops) trigger something. Maybe that is why Clubman reminds many of us of "Barbershop"

So for me the barbershop is Proraso. But I have a deeper memory, something more floral, maybe citrus, but I may just be making that up. Definitely baby powder, but that is one tough scent to break down!!!

I just recently got Barber Shoppe soap, it is certainly floral scented, likely rose, but its all the supporting scents that I need help with.

Thank you to everyone that's chimed in do far I really do appreciate the assistance, and if everything comes together maybe you helpful sorts can do some testing for me?

Well Ill share a small bit. I too am making soaps and I have pretty darn close scent to clubman. I cant tell you all my secrets but think lime & musk with hints of lavender and jasmine. I have consulted (and continue to consult) with someone that works in the fragrance manufacturing industry and something he could not stress enough to me is EVERY scent, even the most masculine of scents, require some type of a floral component. Best of luck to you with the soaps!

Barbershop (for me) = Lavender + (slight) Citrus + (slight) Another Floral + Some sort of Base (musk, vanilla, woody something)
Lavender was always a mainstay in talcum, soap and other concoctions, back when.
I should know...from all the gray hair!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I just ordered my first Barbershop scent soap, a tin of Mike's in it. Will be my 3rd Mike's offering. Would be my 4th, but USPS lost my last order and they don't seem to care about trying to look for it or giving me the refund on it via the insurance Mike placed on it (have been waiting to hear back from them for about 10 days since contacting them when status showed delivered and I never got it).

Looking forward to my first Barbershop scent assuming this one makes it here. :)

Top Bottom