What's new

Balin's Blade Bonanza

Shave #2 - Gillette Nacet
Gillette Tech Fat Handle (prewar)
Arko Frankensoap

I shaved on consecutive days deliberately to test the sharpness of the Nacet. I usually go every other day unless circumstances demand I look my very best or the previous day's shave was with a marginal blade. In my experience, I have to use a very sharp blade for a back-to-back session to work well - medium or mild blades won't cut through my low stubble. Perhaps they actually push down the minute strand of hair instead of slicing through it, or it can't latch on because the hair is too short. I experienced this behavior with the ASCOs for example. It wouldn't cut anything unless I had relatively long whiskers.

No such problems with the Nacet, and again to me this verifies that it is very sharp indeed. Great shave, great product.

Shave 3 with the Nacet.
1000005952.jpg

It was another predictable shave. Two pass BBS. I'll give it a go tomorrow as it's been a while since I have tried pushing a Nacet past 3 shaves.

Date22.05.2024
366 daily shaves
143/366

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLGillette Nacet (3)Razorock 400 Butterscotch
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (9)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
9/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes:

Absolutely amazing shave with my top razor and ditto brush.

Extended shave notes can be found here.

The Nacet blade showed a second day of deteriorating comfort. The glide was saved by the excellent performance of the Hampshire Wool Fat. It is still sharp, but I felt sharpness dropped somewhat. I will grand it another shave, but it might be against better judgment (as I have so many times in the past!).

Enjoy your shave today!

Date23.05.2024
366 daily shaves
144/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine FlatboyGillette Nacet (1/2)Razorock 400 Butterscotch
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (10)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.75/10 (Mostly Clean)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
9.25/10
(BBS+)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes:

An absolutely smashing shave! Super close and nice comfort.

For extended shave notes click here.

Followed @Balin’s advice and changed the blade. I think I actually used this one before so it is the second shave with this Nacet blade. I don’t think it’s Excalibur material though. A good couple for literally a couple of shaves.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date24.05.2024
366 daily shaves
145/366

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLGillette Nacet (3)Razorock 400 Butterscotch
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (11)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
9.25/10
(BBS+)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes:

Yet another awesome shave! Three days in a row! I feel super smooth.

This Nacet should be going on 3 by my guess which last time was sort of the tipping point towards decreased performance (which it did not today and that’s my thing with this blade - it is inconsistent in its performance for me). All in all a good blade - considering all shaves I have had with this blade it’s ranked 8th in my top 10 blades.

Enjoy your shave today!

Shave #3 - Gillette Nacet
Assured 3 Piece Razor
Arko

I broke out the Dollar Tree razor in anticipation of the coming challenge @blethenstrom and I shall be participating in.

Good shave, not a great one. This is a very light razor and I am used now to having a heavier handle to help plow through the whiskers after spending significant time with my Razorocks. I pressed a bit too hard and knicked myself above my lips.

The razor used matters a great deal. I had a reasonably close shave, but the experience wasn't so enjoyable. I felt lots of vibration and without the plow through from the razor's mass, shaving doesn't feel effortless or smooth.

It's an interesting observation. The best razor blade in the world (and I consider the Nacet in the top rank) won't erase the fact that you're using a less than optimal razor. The funny thing is that as recently as two months ago, I sort of liked the Assured razor. Ignorance truly is bliss. I wonder when I upgrade to a higher tier of razor I will likewise think the Razorocks are mediocre?

Shave 2 with the second Nacet this week.
1000005975.jpg

I had a quick DFS tonight! I was going to skip today but decided to shave right before bed so I used my Henson Mild thinking I would have something to shave after lunch tomorrow. I was expecting a CCS result but was nicely surprised! It was a great combo for under the chin, sensitive skin area for me, ATG. It's BBS there, and I usually struggle with irritation if I push it there.
This Nacet should be going on 3 by my guess which last time was sort of the tipping point towards decreased performance (which it did not today and that’s my thing with this blade - it is inconsistent in its performance for me).
I agree with your assessment. I have had some Nacets that lasted a week and others that drop off rather quickly. They usually last at least 3 shaves for me. I'd rather turf a blade after 3 shaves than have a crappy 4th shave. I can usually tell by the 3rd shave if a Nacet can last longer.
The best razor blade in the world (and I consider the Nacet in the top rank) won't erase the fact that you're using a less than optimal razor.
I was nicely surprised tonight with the Nacet/Henson mild pairing. I might only use my Henson 2-3 times per year and always feel like it was a less than optimal shave but tonight it was better than acceptable

Date25.05.2024
366 daily shaves
146/366

RazorBladeBrush
Greencult 1.0Gillette Nacet (4)Razorock 400 Butterscotch
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (12)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
9/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes:

A smooth and relaxed Saturday shave. Stubble was destroyed by the GC1. All good now.

With the Nacet going on 4 I was ready to pay attention and start seeing signals of deceased performance. Pairing of blade and razor was good. I binned the blade afterwards.

Commencing tomorrow I am going with Super Max Blue Diamond, gents!

Enjoy your shave today!

Date26.05.2024
366 daily shaves
147/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorock Game Changer .84P SBSuper Max Blue Diamond (1)Razorock 400 Butterscotch
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (13)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Minor redness)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Sunday called for a no did all comfort shave which is exactly up the alley for the Game Changer.

The blade is new to me although I remember not have the best of shaves with the Super Diamond Stainless blade. It was smooth and sharp (enough), although there were times during the shave where I thought it wasn't actually cutting at all. Overall a very nice and easy shave. Perfect for a Sunday morning.

Enjoy your shave today!

Shave 1 Super Max Blue Diamond
1000005997.jpg

I had a comfortable DFS today. I didn't find this blade as sharp as the Nacet and was a little worried because it felt a little tuggy around my adams apple area. I was nicely surprised I didn't have much alum feeback at all with this blade. Usually tuggy means alum and aftershave irritation. It will be interesting to see if it sharpens up a little for the next shave.

Date27.05.2024
366 daily shaves
148/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Super Max Blue Diamond (2)Mühle Rocca Silvertip
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (14)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Minor redness)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Nice kickstart of the week with Mühle Monday - effective, comfortable and smooth. This razor is definitely in my top 5 of all time.

The Blue Diamond on a second run today. Yesterday was good and I had some tiny red spots. Today with the Rocca all was well. Good performance. Looking very presentable for work indeed!

Enjoy your shave today!

Date28.05.2024
366 daily shaves
149/366

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLSuper Max Blue Diamond (3)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (15)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
6.5/10 (Nick/Cut)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
9/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes:

Blissful shave with the Timeless razor. Fantastically close and comfortable like I have grown accustomed to with this razor.

Blade is on its third run. It is nice, but I have had sharper/cleaner blades. It does a fine job, but I do have needle point red spots that I do not incur with other blades. Initial sharpness during the shave is good. Longevity of results is average (or my beard is growing at increased pace).

Enjoy your shave today!

Shave #1 - Super-Max Blue Diamond
Assured 3-piece
Arko Frankensoap

This is my first use of the Super-Max Blue Diamond ever. The company that manufactured it is out of business and there is an article found on the internet about the corporation going through liquidation to pay off creditors. It's a shame because Super-Max razor blades generally received good reviews at their upper range of product which the Blue Diamond indeed was positioned within.

I had a mediocre shave last time out with the Assured razor and a Nacet blade, but as I am going to spend time in the $1.25 Challenge, I wanted to become familiar with the razor with some 'good' blades before trying it with the Assured-branded blades that came with the razor. Those promise to be less-than-optimal, and I wanted experience with a variety of other blades so I can separate the two factors from each other.

Wet shaving is odd. Little things can and do make huge differences. So I didn't really like the Nacet, a top tier blade for me, last time in the Assured razor. But this time I had almost 3 days of growth, a leisurely warm shower where I applied conditioner to my facial hair as a pre-shave treatment, and I used a fresh Blue Diamond. This combo yielded a fantastic shave. Very comfortable. Not a lot of vibration like I felt with the Nacet on two days growth. Like my friend @Balin, I thought the blade wasn't cutting at all, but in fact it was.

I really like the Blue Diamond based on this limited sampling. To me it is somewhere in the intersection of the Silver Star, Lord Super Chrome, Shark Super Chrome, and Lord Cool. And those are all good blades for me, worthy of stocking in my den.

Last edited:
Top Bottom