What's new

Badger & Blade Weight Loss Thread

So I was overweight at 220 when I went on disability for mental illness back in 2012. Between eating crap, being stationary, and, meds I got up to 280 at my biggest. Three months ago I bought a bike which I have only rode once because the leather seat is so uncomfortable until it is broken in. I also got a YMCA membership and was swimming a couple times a week, but, I haven't been back in a month. Two months ago I was 275 lbs. I lived in Germany for fifteen years and fell in love with the food. I knew we had a German butcher and a German Baker in town, but, I never thought I could get my brotchen which are small crisp rolls kind of like bagguettes that I have missed so much. Well on a whim I went to check and they had them so I have been eating that twice sometimes three times a day for five weeks. I eat two with liver sausage spread over two halves and salami and German mustard on the other two halfs. Of course with a slathering of butter. Still today I was down to 258 lbs just from this diet change. American bread is terrible for you. I am stuck with big pharma, because me without meds is not something you want to see, but, just by readopting a European life style I am losing weight. Now to get back to the pool and on the bike come spring.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So I was overweight at 220 when I went on disability for mental illness back in 2012. Between eating crap, being stationary, and, meds I got up to 280 at my biggest. Three months ago I bought a bike which I have only rode once because the leather seat is so uncomfortable until it is broken in. I also got a YMCA membership and was swimming a couple times a week, but, I haven't been back in a month. Two months ago I was 275 lbs. I lived in Germany for fifteen years and fell in love with the food. I knew we had a German butcher and a German Baker in town, but, I never thought I could get my brotchen which are small crisp rolls kind of like bagguettes that I have missed so much. Well on a whim I went to check and they had them so I have been eating that twice sometimes three times a day for five weeks. I eat two with liver sausage spread over two halves and salami and German mustard on the other two halfs. Of course with a slathering of butter. Still today I was down to 258 lbs just from this diet change. American bread is terrible for you. I am stuck with big pharma, because me without meds is not something you want to see, but, just by readopting a European life style I am losing weight. Now to get back to the pool and on the bike come spring.
proxy.php

Congratulations on the progress! It's amazing how small changes in a daily diet leads to big results. Good luck on your journey!

221.1 today. Starting to get slightly frustrated that the scale isn't showing any weight loss. Might need to tweak some things to get moving in the right direction agani.

It's all really quite simple, especially if you're not training hard for a sport or something similar. It's mostly a function of calories in VS calories out, taking into account your total daily energy expenditure, NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis) and how it relates to your caloric intake. You're looking at an average. I don't care if you're only eating 1500 calories during the week every day, if you're still eating whatever you want and not counting anything during the weekends, there's a good chance you're eating enough to offset any type of deficit you may have had.

Even on your free days, it would be a good idea to still count everything. Just plug it into Myfitnesspal, get yourself a visual of what you've been eating and what's in it. Don't be overly hard on yourself in terms of self control, allow that wiggle room to eat things you truly enjoy and spend time with family, but if you have no idea what's going in your mouth, it can easily get away from you.

Very nice to hear about your progress :)

@OldSchoolYoungin, yes and no, sure, if you load a ton extra in, it is gonna be harder to burn off, but people have the wrong idea, of a calorie is a calorie! Your body burns carbs before fat, because carbs are not good for the body at all, and not needed at all! But when people also try to just lower their calorie intake, they forget the simple biology: Survival Mode... Our body will store energy, in the form of survival, when we try to keep it from getting new energy, that is where a lot of diets fail! You need to feed the body, and understand why it is reacting the way it is :) EAT!!! But NOT carbs, we do not need that, out of the 3 Macro's (Protein, Fat, Carbs), carbs is the only one the body does NOT need, and it is the one killing us, and is responsible for all known folk diseases, which are merely conditions! ;)

@bray144k Just leave the carbs, and you'll be a fat burning machine :) That being said though, it takes adaption, for some it happens within a few days, some a week, others up to 4 weeks, as your body needs to adjust, but after that, you'll be a whole new person, stronger, better endurance, and no weird diseases (Conditions) :)

Timely seeing this. I am (was?) a cyclist, but have really been slacking off in my riding this year. I have put on a few pounds of fat and lost some muscle. I decided about a month ago to start getting back in shape. I have been riding a little, but mostly being sure to up my daily walking and improve my diet. I have gone mostly vegetarian, with a bit of eggs and cheese. Cut down on carbs. A lot of this has been beer, which I have cut out all during the week (Mon-Thur).

July 28th - 198.6
Today - 193.6 (weighed as low as 193 last week, but let the diet slip a little later in the week)

I did a lot of bicycling ten years ago and lost about 25 pounds. Then the doctor found a melanoma on me. Now I am very cautious about sun exposure. I do not trust what is in sun screen lotions and do not like to use them. But, I had my gall bladder out six weeks ago. My appetite has been much less since. I am curious to see how that works out in the long term. I would like to get down to about 205 for now. That is 18 pounds more to lose. I did lose a few pounds after surgery.

@OldSchoolYoungin, yes and no, sure, if you load a ton extra in, it is gonna be harder to burn off, but people have the wrong idea, of a calorie is a calorie! Your body burns carbs before fat, because carbs are not good for the body at all, and not needed at all! But when people also try to just lower their calorie intake, they forget the simple biology: Survival Mode... Our body will store energy, in the form of survival, when we try to keep it from getting new energy, that is where a lot of diets fail! You need to feed the body, and understand why it is reacting the way it is :) EAT!!! But NOT carbs, we do not need that, out of the 3 Macro's (Protein, Fat, Carbs), carbs is the only one the body does NOT need, and it is the one killing us, and is responsible for all known folk diseases, which are merely conditions! ;)

@bray144k Just leave the carbs, and you'll be a fat burning machine :) That being said though, it takes adaption, for some it happens within a few days, some a week, others up to 4 weeks, as your body needs to adjust, but after that, you'll be a whole new person, stronger, better endurance, and no weird diseases (Conditions) :)

I've been in the health and fitness industry for about two decades and have studied nutrition for as long. I know all of this, but I'm not wanting to overcomplicate things by going on about hormonal manipulation through food, etc. In most people's instances, the calories in versus calories out ideology is more or less applicable and will provide most with satisfactory results without overwhelming them with info and end up just confusing them. Lower carb diets are indeed somewhat different, but unless one is genuinely at a plateau for no apparent reason (and there's ALWAYS a reason) the basics of nutrition still apply in order to get fat loss rolling again.

I've been in the health and fitness industry for about two decades and have studied nutrition for as long. I know all of this, but I'm not wanting to overcomplicate things by going on about hormonal manipulation through food, etc. In most people's instances, the calories in versus calories out ideology is more or less applicable and will provide most with satisfactory results without overwhelming them with info and end up just confusing them. Lower carb diets are indeed somewhat different, but unless one is genuinely at a plateau for no apparent reason (and there's ALWAYS a reason) the basics of nutrition still apply in order to get fat loss rolling again.

Thank you both for your info. I have decided to take a break from IF and monitor strictly through Myfitnesspal calories in. I will still be trying to avoid straight carbs and fill my diet with mainly protein and veggies. I'll probably try this for a few weeks and see how it goes. If my weight starts to go up in an uncontrollable fashion (unlikely unless my caloric math is way off) then I will go back to the drawing board. Otherwise, this should get me back on the track to 205 (intermediate goal), and 190 overall.

You can do it, Bray! :)

Of the Macro's, Carbs is the only thing, our body doesn't need :) Make sure you get some healthy fats though :)

@OldSchoolYoungin, Yes, but it is also false information, that causes those conditions! Not Diseases, as people and the medical industry loves to call it, but conditions, to sell you a pill, a treatment, for something you don't have! If you've been in health and fitness industry, you know all the horrible lies?! Yes? I could go on, knocking at it all day, celebrated my 20th year last Wednesday, part owner of the best clinic in Denmark, what do you call: basics of nutrition? Real food, or the stuff that magazines and gyms wants you to believe?

I've got 20 years in Molecular Biology, Physiology, Pathology, Nutrition & Food Science, Etiology, Epidemiologi, and have a degree from the International Culnary Center, and a Ph.d. in Sports Science, while i was also doing (But now dropped out, because of a lack of interest), Medical Biophysics...

Most people, don't understand the basics of nutrition, or the reason why they're eating themselves to death, for the simple fact, that 80% of the crap you can get in a supermarket, is just not good for you!

Diabetes, Obesity, Asthma, Cancer, Osteoporosis, PCOS, Artheritis, Cardiovascular issues, you name it! All known folk diseases (Conditions), are self inflicted, we've known that for over 5.000 years! It just gets wiped under the carpet! And so if you've really been in the game for 2 decades, you would know this!

Hippocrates said it well: Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food :)

No need to talk about the bush to get around the decisive factor.
I stopped eating carbohydrates and compensated with other food. I was never hungry. That's all. Just do it consistently! No exceptions!
That's how I lost 30 kg of weight, and automatically got my blood pressure and my blood sugar level right again.

The only problem you cannot solve with food is cholesterol. Food can only influence it to a max of 15 % at best. The other 85+ % have to be regulated with medicine.

It's as easy as that. Believe me.

If you like to read serious scientific facts, go to:
www.bsh.org.uk
www.bcs.com

proxy.php

The main thing is to stick with your plan!! :a14: :a14:

ChopOff, not true at all, the reason for cholesterol to be a problem, is a confusion in the body, by most of the time "Fake Foods", cholesterol you need, it is afterall what makes you able to get Vitamin-D from sunrays! Not to mention, your liver produces 2.000mg of it per day on it's own, and lowers production when you have an intake of it... That being said, doctors tend to give out stupid information, without informing you, what the high cholesterol is, cause it is usually divided into 3: 1.: HDL = Good cholesterol, if that is above the others, it shouldn't have any effect on you :) 2.: LDL = The bad, although it is also needed by the body to a certain extend, we want that number low! 3.: VLDL = The Very Bad, that we do not want at all... It is not caused by typical natural things though, but even when eating like a high fat diet, it doesn't mean you should eat bad fats of course, and there sadly is a lot of those around :(

But if you believe you need medicine to control cholesterol, then i am afraid, buddy, you couldn't be more wrong, just like the old myth, that once you're on cholesterol and high blood pressure medication, you can't get off them again... Nonsense!

2.000+ years ago, Hippocrates had a good saying about all this:

“Let food be thy medicine, let medicine be thy food"- Hippocrates... He was right, we choose if we wanna live healthy or not, it is all up to ourselves, how we treat our body, and a good immunesystem, will keep all the nasties away, that we have in society now :) 7 / 10 doctors, dietitians etc, will always give out bad information, because that is just how that business is... Just like in most gyms, with a personal trainer, they make you workout / diet, in a way, that slows down your muscle growth, because hey, if you get to your goals, you're no longer a customer... All about the money :(

Oh and i don't need to read the science, i help making it :)

bray144k, you can make it! Overeating, is rarely a thing on a high fat diet though, being the brain gets the turnoff signals, when the body have enough, where with carbs, that process is way slower, and causing overeating, but either way, i'm sure you got this, just don't ever lose faith in yourself, motivation is all it takes, BUT, you should not weigh yourself everyday, maybe once a week, people from a mental standpoint, tend to get manipulated by numbers on a daily basis, and then the risk of falling back and giving up, becomes way higher, so be careful :)

BigJ, holidays always seem to be the biggest resisting issue for most people, but again, you choose what you put in your mouth :) If it is in the candy / cake area, well there is a lot you can make yourself, to make it good for you, and it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to make :) Just keep at it, you can make it :)

BigJ, did you measure that before or after a toilet break? Again, as mentioned earlier, it is not healthy for your mental state, to jump on the scale daily, stick with once a week, it is much better for you :) But sure, some days, there might be an overload on the body, but it does not mean you've literally gained weight, it depends a lot on what you ate and what you've been drinking, as different things, takes longer to get processed, and maybe you had a nr.2 waiting, or you've build up some water retention etc... Don't worry about that though, it's just a pound, and most like doesn't mean anything at all :) If you've been clean eating since, i'm sure already now, that 1 pound is more than gone? ;)

Good to see I'm not the only one seeking to lose pounds! As my life changes I seem to keep rising from around 175 to 200 and then back down once I decide I feel lousy and don't want to buy more new pants. I was nearing 205 a few months ago, but finally left a job with too much stress and a great cafeteria and I'm down to about 190 now. I feel better below 180 so that's the target, but mainly focused on the process. I was able to drop 15 lbs in about 2 months, but the holidays have slowed my progress. I'm not going to worry about it though. I'll do my best and I'm sure the weight will start coming off again by late January.

I've worked in the fitness industry and read a lot about diet and exercise and tried a lot, but I'm trying to keep it simpler this time. Calories in vs calories burned is key IMO. I've tracked calories closely, macros, et al, but that's just not a routine I can stick with long term. On the plus side, having done it, I learned a lot and I know what to eat and how much. I have always done some intermittent fasting, but mostly because I'm not a breakfast person. On a low cal day, I skip breakfast, have a light lunch or just snack a few times and then a healthy meal. Or if I have breakfast then I may skip lunch. As long as I keep busy and I'm not stressed then there's not as much hunger. Workouts are fairly simple too. I used to be a runner, but bad tendons have mostly stopped that about 10 years ago. I like quick HIIT workouts, bodyweight exercises and basic dumbbell workouts. Hoping as I get back in shape, I will pick up some swing speed for golf!

Always remember though, a calorie is not just a calorie, that is one of the worst myths ever! A calorie from carbs, needs to be burned, otherwise your liver store it as fat, as it is all it can do, and that is the least of your problems, carbs is causing a serious havoc on your body :( Fat is a way better fuel, what your body is supposed to run on, as it doesn't mess up your blood sugar, it is over twice the energy, and it gives your body the stop signal to stop eating, carbs doesn't, it want's you to get more!

There is nothing wrong with fasting or skipping breakfast, that is another bad myth, that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, absolutely no scientific evidence of that, our body is quite a magical machine!

If you do start skipping carbs, there is the so called "Keto Flu", because you can feel like you're sick, because your body is adjusting from a whole life of crap, back to what it should be like, and that can take anywhere from a few days, a week, 8 weeks, that depends on what state your body is in... But counting calories, is just gonna mess with your mind, it is the last thing i ever advice a client on, because you're supposed to enjoy food, REAL FOOD, not having to do math while you try to eat... The amazing thing about skipping carbs, is that real food, and real fats, do not just go to the adipose (fat cells), you get rid of it through peepee, and poopoo, another reason why it is so annoying everytime you hear people talk about how much fiber you should get in a day, cause fat can do the exact same thing :)

HIIT training can be good, fast workouts, less time spend, cause life is too short to stay in a gym really, like i never understood the terrible hype, enjoy nature instead, there is plenty of options out there, free, fresh air, and you don't rely on a machine, or a personal trainer, who tells you bad information, to make you stay longer!

I assume, like most people on the planet (Not me though), that you're a car guy? Or a motorcycle guy? Look at your body the same way, if you put the wrong fuel in it, it won't drive right... Best advice i ever give my clients, because it is the difference, if you wanna thrive and feel good, stay away from diseases, or feed them...

And no, you're far from alone, the difference is, if you're gonna do something about it, for yourself, and want a better life, be more satisfied, happy, and have a disease / condition free life,, that will bring you more joy, and a lot of extra miles on your life :)

I give out help to 7.000 - 9.000 people yearly, an average of 25 - 30 people per day, with an average of 20 minute consulting, when it comes to nutrition, spreading over a lot of different areas, and then spend some weekends for training help, volunteer to do one of those centers, for obese kids, to get them back to the real world, and so on, so yeah, i've seen it all, and you're definitely not alone, so don't worry about it, just start to believe in yourself, don't do it for others but yourself, and then have backbone enough to stay with it, there is nothing really more to it than that, like no magic pill, no magic advice, just common sense, logical thinking! :)

You can do it!!! :)

All true T. I have an MD friend that I met through EMS and he introduced me to Paleo. I've been on it for about five years and I'm doing fine. I retired from the FD five years ago in February and my weight has stayed exactly where it was then. I replaced the heavy physical activity of working with road biking and it works well. Also after getting off carbs I don't need meds to manage BP. No lack of energy either fat as fuel is fine.

There you go, thank him for probably saving your life right there :)

And yes, Paleo is the ultimate living style, whether people are against it or not, it is just common sense, of science, history, and logics, but other styles that share it:

Keto, LCHF, AIP, Perricone, SCD, Budlow Protocol, Atkins, Dukan, Low-FODMAP, The 4-Hour Body (Slow Carb), Whole30, Intermittent Fasting, Drinking Man's Diet (Which i wouldn't recommend for logical reasons), Monks, Minimalists, SuperHumans, Vikings, Spartans, Hunter Gatherers, Greek Gods, Samurais, and so many more, BUT, what they all have in common, is the sinner that people knew, even before the retarded high carb recommendations in the 70's, which has now caused more weird conditions than ever, and 1/3 of the world is obese... But yeah, isn't it amazing, gaining natural weight loss, without the huge efforts, gaining muscles, and not getting sick? :p Stay on it, buddy, and you'll have a good life :)

Fat as fuel is more than fine, over twice (9 Kcal vs 4 Kcal per 1 grams) the amount of energy than carbs can provide, but without the blood sugar spike, which starts all the issues to being with...

That is the thing, about living as you're supposed to, the body automatically regulates, whether you workout or not, although i would never recommend anyone just sitting still, but for weight loss, FOOD, will always be the main factor NOT workout, it's a waste of time for weight loss! But for lung capacity, blood circulation, and 1.000's of other things, of course working out is good, but not that stupid 5 times per week, 3 hours a day, it is just wearing your heart down for no reason!

That's the thing that differs Paleo from, Keto, LCHF, and the many others, is that, Paleo, is all about clean eating, and not cheating fake snacks, like Peanut Butter, etc, which is allowed through Keto and LCHF, being it's mainly just fat and protein, but Peanuts are also a Legume, meaning an antrinutrient, draining your body for vitamins and minerals, and can keep your body from properly absorbing new ones!

Clean eating is always recommended, but if fat loss is the only goal, Keto, will always in my book, be the highest recommendation, being it is effective, it works, everyone can do it, especially when they're being told, they can eat Bacon, Eggs, Sausages, Butter, all the damn time :p

Top Bottom