What's new

Badger & Blade Weight Loss Thread

bray144k, don't put too much into the weighing all the time, like i mentioned, it will mess with your mind eventually, just like counting calories! Besides, if you know you're heading the right way, you don't need a scale to tell you :) Also, a lot of the times, a bit of extra weight, is water retention!

When you do step on the scale, just remember, you gotta do it BEFORE eating and or drinking anything, like when you just wake up! You wouldn't believe, how many people i need to try and explain this to on a daily basis lol... Common sense, and i'm sure you got it, atleast you seem to :) If in doubt, or need a little push in the right direction, feel free to send a PM if you don't want it to be all public and all, or just throw it in this thread, if you do not mind :) Maybe others can be helped as well :)

Continue your success, i'm sure you can manage, and you'll be a better you, a better you, that will love yourself more for taking a stand for yourself :)

Weighed in at 218 today! Had a check-up yesterday and spoke with my doctor a little bit about nutrition. He said he would recommend cutting out all added sugar and refined carbs. Basically cut out processed foods. I am going to try my best to do this and see how it goes.

On the health front, my cholesterol that has been high since 2012 came back in normal ranges! I am stoked about this change.

White sugar. My Doctor friend calls it poison along with corn syrup and any other sweetener product. It's a good thing I always drank coffee BNS or it would have been a tougher road to kick it. The hardest thing for me to cut out was bread and potatoes. I still miss them I just don't eat 'em.

@bray144k Congratulations :)

As mentioned earlier, Cholesterol is something we control ourselves, we do not need medication for that or other conditions :)

If you do cut out refined products, and go for a higher fat based diet, you'll see incredible results in a very short time, as we thrive better on fat, NOT on carbs, as carbs are the reason for all known folk diseases! You gotta eat enough fats though, so you can go into ketosis, then you're gonna feel better than ever :)

Keep it up!!! :)

@JCoyle, yeah that is some bad stuff, but also remember, things that is always recommended, like lots of fruit, is filled with fructose, hense the name of fruit-sugar, and just like alcohol, that causes fatty-liver... Sadly kids all the way down to the age of 3, is now getting fatty-liver, because they put fructose in everything, so if you wiped that ingredient out of products in a store, about 20% of products would remain in a store, it's crazy :( ... I think bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, soda, candy, cake, chocolate, are amoung the hardest, for people to cut out, but everyone really should, and, you can make healthy alternatives, especially when it comes to chocolate :)

I think too many people trying to lose weight tend to try to be too perfect and fall off the wagon. Yes cutting out ALL processed foods would be the best, but don't let trying to be perfect get in the way of just being better. I gave up soda and I drink my coffee black, but that was actually not that hard for me. Soda and dairy bothered my stomach so giving them up was easier. I have not completely given up on chocolate, french fries or potato chips. I've cut down on them, but cutting them out completely would be really hard and I'm not going to beat myself up for a piece of dark chocolate.

I know it's not Paleo but in truth I'm not as strick as I was a few years ago. I've gone to a few more green vegetables and I also always had salad. I just stay clearly away from starchy stuff. And as far as fruit I do have some especially before I going out on a bike ride but I've tested which ones and how much. I pretty much can keep my GBS in the high 70's low 80's and that at least keeps any insulin dump to a minimum. Makes me wonder how in the previous centuries before all this processed stuff and studies about what's good and what's not people got along. :001_smile

@KCee, it's not that you would have to give up chocolate, just make it dark chocolate 70% or above, that is really good for you! But you can make a complete healthy version, by just taking 3 parts coconut oil, 1 part cocoa powder, 1 part stevia, and not have to worry about the extra crap they put in processed chocolate! :)

Also coffee is a big swing, it can raise your blood pressure / pulse, because of the caffeine, but coffee also protects your liver :)

The french fries and potato chips though, if you wanna maintain a good lifestyle, both when it comes to weight and all the other side effects, you might wanna cut those out though ;)

It's not about being perfect, to me, it's more about what it cost society, when it goes really bad,, as well as having a lovely life, without the annoying side effects, which bad food choices bring, because i would rather have 50 good years, than having 20 good years, and then 50 in hell, with a ton of medications, just to keep you “going”, you know?

@JCoyle, green vegetables, is something people should eat more of! So much vitamins and minerals to gain, but not the overload of sugar! :)

Fruit is not in that saying, necessarily BAD, as long as you don't follow the recommended advise, of having an overload of them, because all in all, fruit is just natures candy right there :)

Keeping the blood sugar at right levels, are extremely important to maintain a healthy life... Assuming you mention GBS, you mean Guillain-Barré Syndrome? Being there is as lot of GBS sayings :p And yes, that is definitely something you need to take serious, blood infections, heart attack, breathing problems, so much bad can happen with that :*(

People got along, well to a certain extend anyway :p But once the agriculture really kicked in, 10.000 - 12.000 years ago, that is when humans started to go sideways when it comes to health, sad as that is, we've lost our common sense, because the producers, makes things taste of what we like, but it is nothing more than a trap to a bad life unfortunately :( Adults should have more common sense, kids should be more aware, because what is really heart breaking, is when you get these situations, with little kids, having some stupid condition, because their parents haven't taken the responsibility that they should, and actually buy real food for the kid :(

But make sure that you keep that GBS in check, buddy! Personally, from over-working, trying to help all of these issues, it has me stressed out so badly, i hardly ever sleep, and my health checks, are not of the positive type :( The past 6 months, i've had a blood pressure measuring all the way up to 187 / 107, so swinging in a danger zone, and i can feel it big time, but, everytime i help someone out, it feels like it is worth it :)

@KCee, it's not that you would have to give up chocolate, just make it dark chocolate 70% or above, that is really good for you! But you can make a complete healthy version, by just taking 3 parts coconut oil, 1 part cocoa powder, 1 part stevia, and not have to worry about the extra crap they put in processed chocolate! :)

Also coffee is a big swing, it can raise your blood pressure / pulse, because of the caffeine, but coffee also protects your liver :)

The french fries and potato chips though, if you wanna maintain a good lifestyle, both when it comes to weight and all the other side effects, you might wanna cut those out though ;)

It's not about being perfect, to me, it's more about what it cost society, when it goes really bad,, as well as having a lovely life, without the annoying side effects, which bad food choices bring, because i would rather have 50 good years, than having 20 good years, and then 50 in hell, with a ton of medications, just to keep you “going”, you know?

@JCoyle, green vegetables, is something people should eat more of! So much vitamins and minerals to gain, but not the overload of sugar! :)

Fruit is not in that saying, necessarily BAD, as long as you don't follow the recommended advise, of having an overload of them, because all in all, fruit is just natures candy right there :)

Keeping the blood sugar at right levels, are extremely important to maintain a healthy life... Assuming you mention GBS, you mean Guillain-Barré Syndrome? Being there is as lot of GBS sayings :p And yes, that is definitely something you need to take serious, blood infections, heart attack, breathing problems, so much bad can happen with that :*(

People got along, well to a certain extend anyway :p But once the agriculture really kicked in, 10.000 - 12.000 years ago, that is when humans started to go sideways when it comes to health, sad as that is, we've lost our common sense, because the producers, makes things taste of what we like, but it is nothing more than a trap to a bad life unfortunately :( Adults should have more common sense, kids should be more aware, because what is really heart breaking, is when you get these situations, with little kids, having some stupid condition, because their parents haven't taken the responsibility that they should, and actually buy real food for the kid :(

But make sure that you keep that GBS in check, buddy! Personally, from over-working, trying to help all of these issues, it has me stressed out so badly, i hardly ever sleep, and my health checks, are not of the positive type :( The past 6 months, i've had a blood pressure measuring all the way up to 187 / 107, so swinging in a danger zone, and i can feel it big time, but, everytime i help someone out, it feels like it is worth it :)

Please make sure you watch that blood pressure. My wife had a stroke (slow brain bleed type) 2 1/2 years ago and didn't realize how high her blood pressure had gotten. She's mostly recovered, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I've been trying to convince her to exercise and lose weight so as not to rely so much on the medication, but it seems like the scare of another stroke has somehow already worn off. On the plus side I believe it helped motivate my daughters to become healthier. They'd always made fun of dad because I drink "green" shakes and do P90X3 workouts, but both of them eat much healthier and exercise regularly now which is a 180* from previous.

Please make sure you watch that blood pressure. My wife had a stroke (slow brain bleed type) 2 1/2 years ago and didn't realize how high her blood pressure had gotten. She's mostly recovered, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I've been trying to convince her to exercise and lose weight so as not to rely so much on the medication, but it seems like the scare of another stroke has somehow already worn off. On the plus side I believe it helped motivate my daughters to become healthier. They'd always made fun of dad because I drink "green" shakes and do P90X3 workouts, but both of them eat much healthier and exercise regularly now which is a 180* from previous.
Indeed that is something to look for! But i'm glad shse is recovering, and that you're giving her the support to do some exercise and motivation, because it will ALWAYS be way better than all the fake crap :) Best of luck to you and your wife :) Oh and Merry Christmas :)

Indeed that is something to look for! But i'm glad shse is recovering, and that you're giving her the support to do some exercise and motivation, because it will ALWAYS be way better than all the fake crap :) Best of luck to you and your wife :) Oh and Merry Christmas :)
Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I had a great couple of weeks over Christmas vacation enjoying all the lasagna, turkey, and Christmas baking my Mum could throw at me, washed down with lots of good wine.

Needless to say, um ... I now have more momentum around my mid-section. January will be a good one for watching the needle drop as I get back on keto and intermittent fasting.

I'm up a couple of pounds after the holidays, but I decided I would just enjoy the time off and eat what I wanted. I did exercise nearly every day, but just too much food & drink. Should be easier to cut back on the calories again now.

I am just starting to refine my diet this year and also adding a possible gym membership, gonna be hard for me but I have to lose some weight

My wife's workplace is doing a biggest loser challenge. This should help me with staying on track as well. I lost focus over the past couple weeks but should be able to get back on track now.

Hello Friends,

I thought that this would be a good way to journal, support, and have accountability for our weight loss goals. I'll start.

Beginning Weight in April: 245
Weight this morning: 225.5
Goal Weight: 205 by end of 2019

Loosely intermittent fasting, and tracking in myfitnesspal sometimes. I am going to make a more dedicated effort to tracking in myfitnesspal.

Didn't hit the goal but down to 214 this morning. Going the right direction.

Top Bottom