What's new

Backpacking Newbie

I keep my pack weight lightweight. That means I can use New Balance trail runner shoes. I always use a staff, or (usually) hiking poles.

I use an alcohol stove in most circumstances except for hikes in winter with friends. My usual alcohol stove is the Robinson "TrailDad" Cat Can stove. Here's a link: http://www.thru-hiker.com/projects/cat_stove.php

I finally got over my fear of bugs. I now just put my sleeping bag on the ground cloth, and use a tarp to keep the rain off.

Just back from 2 great trips in the last 10 days (car camping in Mount Tamalpais and backpacking the Santa Cruz mountains) and the best tip I can give a newbie is to fill your Prednisone presctiption BEFORE you leave. I'm no rookie but I'm new to the West Coast, and the amount of poison oak out there is staggering. Even though we were paranoid about looking out for it, there are so many variations that we obviously missed seeing and tramped right through.

My legs look like a map of Albania, and the less we talk about my inner thigh itching the better. Great news, I woke up with swelling on my EYELID today! Everything I own is now in the washing machine :)

Sorry to hear about the bad case of poison oak. I'm just glad I have no reaction to poison ivy, oak, or sumac. Well, at least in the past.

Just back from 2 great trips in the last 10 days (car camping in Mount Tamalpais and backpacking the Santa Cruz mountains) and the best tip I can give a newbie is to fill your Prednisone presctiption BEFORE you leave. I'm no rookie but I'm new to the West Coast, and the amount of poison oak out there is staggering. Even though we were paranoid about looking out for it, there are so many variations that we obviously missed seeing and tramped right through.

My legs look like a map of Albania, and the less we talk about my inner thigh itching the better. Great news, I woke up with swelling on my EYELID today! Everything I own is now in the washing machine :)

What a bummer. I've never got poison oak. I guess I've been lucky.

I'm going on my first overnight hike this weekend into the Trinity Alps. The object is to hike in as far as possible before hitting the snowline. It should be fun.

I think the best & easiest way to learn is to find someone else that does it. You'll learn alot from them just from watching them. The skill set is really more about how to camp then to walk. Everyone knows how to walk. And any experienced backpacker can give you a list of items to bring along & how to pack them.

Alot of times people turn into gear heads when it comes to backpacking & to me that takes away from the actual activity, but gear does have its place. I've been backpacking for close to 30 yrs from New Zealand to Alaska & in between. That being said, I feel that boots are the most important thing and get a combination of the best & lightest thermarest for a dreamy nights sleep. Other than properly layering clothes, & having a way to make fire, you'd be surprised how far you can go with just these simple items.

I don't have any books on hiking other than guide books but if you want to learn how to camp read Cliff Jacobsen's (?sp) books even the ones on canoeing. You can just skip over the canoeing parts if you are not interested in that, but the other half of his book would apply. He is superb. Makes alot of his own gear, and has a great deal of experience. I would love to do a month long north Canada canoe adventure with him.

Also, check this guy out he knows how to make it happen. http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_Brooks_Range_Traverse.html I would even suggest buying the video if you can. I had it and it was superb. I loaned it to my Wildlife Mngm't professor and he liked it so much he bought if off me. Also check out his gear list, he has proven advice. I lived in a rain forest for 14 years, got the rain gear he said was so good & it was the best I've ever used, especially for the price.

Start small. Maybe an overnight trip, then a weekend & then a few days. Work up to it. This is what I did with my boys 14 & 17 and they did quite well on a 60 mile AK / Canada hike in Kluane. Take care of your feet, whatever that entails, as this is where the rubber meets the road.

I notice you asked about boots. I will just tell you that I have had gore-tex. It is OK but it doesn't last. You'll get a couple years use out of it, if you wear them a lot. If not a few years use.

Unfortunately, they really aren't making hiking boots like they should nowadays for general backpacking. Most of them are too light (not durable), synthetic & don't have enough support in rough terrain. Boots are without a doubt the most important gear period. You'll hear this and read this all the time. I really like full grain leather boots with sewn in sole, but like I said they are difficult to find at a reasonable price. That being said the next best thing is full grain leather with glued in soles.

I really like Asolo boots & they are the best I've had in a couple different pairs. The third best pair I had while backpacking in New Zealand for three months was a pair of Raichles. Don't worry about keeping them waterproof. All you do is use some mink oil & they are just as waterproof as gore-tex.

If you really want to check out all the offerings, Backpacker Magazine puts out a Gear Guide around Jan each year & it will tell you what is available. Just remember that those colorful synthetic suade boots that look all swish won't hold up over the long haul. If you need something temporary due to budget constraints I would get a pair of Hi-Tecs.

Also, if prone to blisters, use two pair of soxs, two light pair for the summer & a light pair and wool pair for the cold months (try them on this way). Your boots should fit firm, but not constrictive. You need a little wiggle room for circulation, but not so much that you slip around & get blisters. They should fit like a nice glove once you get them broken in. A good test, and they do this at REI, is to face down a very steep incline & see if the boot holds your foot, so it doesn't slide forward & squish your toes.

With regard to gear, those items that they continue to make year after year says something big. The manufacturers are always coming out with new stuff, but the good stuff generally is the gear they continue to make over & over, because it works. Plus they often have done it so often & for so long, the prices can be reasonable. That's the stuff I would look into.

Alcohol stoves. I have actually little to no experience with these. But Cliff Jacobson (correct spelling) suggests against them because they take so long to cook. "Most require ten or fifteen minutes to boil water". He has several suggestions on stoves & I a few, but it depends on what kind of cooking you are going to do. Are you doing gourment like meals? Are you cooking for yourself or a big group? Do you plan to hike in foreign countries (fuel availability)...

Glad you had fun on your trip, sounded like a blast & the rain did not deter you. Cheers

(...) I really like full grain leather boots with sewn in sole, but like I said they are difficult to find at a reasonable price. (...)

Over here the top range leather boots will cost you up to $500. I'm tempted to buy a pair in addition to my $500 Gore-Tex boots, but I'm just not confident enough on it.

Top Bottom