What's new

Backpacking Newbie

I've recently been bitten by the backpacking bug and need some help/pointers. I love hiking and camping so the idea of doing the two combined really sounds great to me.

Can anyone recommend some good reading or guides for some one just starting out?

Maybe even a list of essential gear that I need?

Boy, are you going to get some reading material!

I recommend a classic. It may be in your local library or second-hand book store.

The Compleat Walker, by Colin Fletcher

The gear he discusses is slightly out-of-date, but the essentials of gathering gear and hitting the trail are eternal. No better tome exists to explain the joy of walking with your home on your back through the natural world.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I thought of Colin Fletcher immediately, but first of his The Man WHo Walked Through Time ..

His gear was outdated a bit when I first read him in the 70's

It's a little more involved than just backpacking and camping...but grab this book:

Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills by The Mountaineers

It's pretty much the standard for all climbing and mountaineering books. It talks about all the gear, techniques, preservation, winter, weather, etc. Basically everything. It's an absolute must IMO.

garyg

It's a little more involved than just backpacking and camping...but grab this book:

Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills by The Mountaineers

It's pretty much the standard for all climbing and mountaineering books. It talks about all the gear, techniques, preservation, winter, weather, etc. Basically everything. It's an absolute must IMO.

I forgot that one, I lost my copy long ago, so wasn't prompted when I glanced at my reference shelf. Assuming it has been updated it would be a very good choice - much better from a technical standpoint than the Fletcher books. Colin's books however are as as much concerned with the spiritual aspects (which I suspect haven't changed with the years) as the technical.

If you're new to it, best bet is to start out "car camping". Drive to a nice campsite and set up your tent and try out your gear, test your firebuilding skills, figure out a good sleeping arrangement, camp cooking, that sort of thing. Then you can go on day hikes from your site and come back at night. Many campsites have available facilities so you wont have to dig your own hole every time nature calls. Once you're solid on your equipment you can move up and out form there if so inclined. A true backcountry wilderness camping trip can be quite an experience as long as you know what you're getting into. Water is always a big important part of it, so plan ahead with lots plus maybe a filter setup and some purification tablets, too.

For anyone going out I would recommend a personal survival kit, just in case. Get an empty altoids tin and put some butterfly bandages, bandaids, alcohol towelettes, painkillers, button compass, waterproof matches, possibly some tinder, a loud whistle, small LED flashlight, visual signaling device (like a mirror or chunk of a broken CD), maybe a couple of ziploc baggies and a few water purification tablets. You'd be surprised what can fit in one of those little tins. Wrap it up in duct tape or paracord and keep it on you at all times. If you get in a bind you can potentially save your own bacon with that stuff :biggrin1: Some guys I know have managed to squeeze a tiny fishing kit in there, too.

Please ask any and all questions, there's no shortage of advice on the internets :tongue_sm Have fun learning about a fantastic passtime.

Thanks everyone for all the great info and resources. I just re-found the Chicago backpackers club. Going to sign up for a "boot camp" beginners trip.

Wow, this is not a really easy response. My suggestion is to find somebody who has backpacking experience, or even a local Boy Scout troop. I guess there are good books out there, but it really comes down to experience. For back country backpacking, you need to be able to navigate with a compass and map, have basic first aid knowledge, have basic wildlife knowledge (esp what to do when you come across bears, snakes etc). How to properly hang a bear bag, the proper way to set up a campsite, the basics of no trace camping. There really is just a lot of stuff you get by just doing it with experienced people.

As far as gear goes, I'm sure everyone will suggest something slightly different, especially when it comes to brands. If you are just starting out and know its something you want to stick with, it might be a good idea to look into "ultra light" gear. This stuff is expensive, but usually well made. The basics you will need are:

Pack - I like internal frames. THey are a little lighter. I prefer Gregory, but Osprey makes a good pack too. You also need a rain cover for your pack.

Tent - you want to look for a small, light easy to set up tent. I really like the MSR Hubba. It has 1 pole, a great rainfly and can be set up in less than a minute by a single person. One thing I look for in a tent is if its free standing or not. Free standing means it does not need stakes to hold it up. This makes it easier to set up (and stay up)

Sleeping Bag - again, think light. Most backpackers will carry some type of lightweight mummy bag, even in the summer. It might be hot where you start, but it can get pretty chilly in higher elevations at night. It can also save your life if you get soaked in a storm and the temperature starts to drop.

Sleeping pad - you will have to determine if you think a pad is worth the extra weight. I usually carry a 3/4 length Therma-rest self inflating pad. These roll up extremely small and are very light weight. Foam pads are lighter, but dont roll up as small.

Boots - Its absolutely important to have a good pair of hiking boots. If you are hiking for more than 2 days and are carrying more than 20lbs, you need a pair that has good ankle support. I have hiked 70 miles in Chacos, but I don't really recommend it.

Clothing - good rain gear (pants and jacket - ponchos suck), hiking socks, liner socks, breathable shirts, warm clothes for camp, change of shoes for camp, warm cap, light weight thermal underwear (or base layer),

Other - shovel (for digging you know what), good light weight camping stove, extra feul, vessels for water, water filter or purifier, compass, flashlight, extra batteries, good first aid kit, rope and bear bag, matches or a lighter, detailed topo map

Food - I really don't recommend those freeze dried backpacking meals they sell. You can do some great cooking on the trail, if you look around and are creative. I always like some sort of fresh meat for the first night. Put together little spice packets in small ziplocks or pill bottles. Don't skimp on food, you need the energy.

Hope this helps a little, good luck!

A good high-end supplier is Kifaru. It's top notch.
Since I have one, I can recommend the Kifaru Doobie, which is a blanket rather than a sleeping bag, and works well untill things freeze up. It will also stuff into a REI XS compression sack. It will compare to, and outperform some +20 degree bags.

I like my REI halfdome, if I bring a tent, which isn't much.

I have had the same Jetboil, with a skillet for 4 years now. Love it.

The Z-fold pads. They rock. I just lash it to my pack.
I have an Eberlestock j-104 pack, which is more suitable for hunting. It's a bit much for just backpacking, but it's what I got. If I'm just going out to woodsman for a day or two, I use my Maxpedition Falcon 2, and take one of my recurve bows with me.
I just pack essentials till full, and stop taking crap. Less is more.
Kenetrek makes awesome boots.

But like everyone says, you just gotta go do it. Hike around for a day, take a water filter, pack some Top Raman, and go from there.
Brent.

Thanks for all of the info so far.

So for my birthday (31 today) the fiancé got me a nice cookset and stove and has planned a trip this summer for us to go to Pictured Rocks! Unless something changes it's going to be a car camping adventure with a few day hikes. Don't think we'll be ready for our first backpacking trip by then.

Gear so far:

Pack- 70L Alps Mountaineering Mojave

Tent- Marmot Limelight 2

Bag- Rei Sahara +30 down mummy

Cookset- Rei Campware

Stove- Primus Yellowstone

All of this has been collected over the past year or two. Unfortunately it has all been pretty neglected because of school.

garyg

Just a thought - if you are missing some arcane bit of gear for the trip, somebody may be willing to "rent" it to you. My first backpacking trip was with a Kelty frame pack, that was sent via Greyhound from Hanover NH to Cincinnati, with a North Face bag inside. I gave it back to me little brother the next Christmas ..

Point being, if you find you need some little doobie perhaps someone can lend it out. I have a hand trowel than has been to the top of the Smokies, Wind Rivers, Cascades, and Sierras :)

Every backpacker needs to check out backpackinglight.com. It will change your life and make hiking 100X more enjoyable.

I am also a big fan of ultra lightweight backpacking. After some experience, I finally ditched the tent and starting using a tarp. I use hiking poles most of the time, as the descents are far easier on my knees with them. New Balance 804 or whatever are fine, so long as your pack weight is low, and you watch where you step.

Links:

http://thru-hiker.com/

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
  1. good boots ... that you can walk 10 miles+ per day in, and be comfortable (best to know this befoe you head out on that two-week trek, not five days from civilisation
  2. proper clothing ... dress in layers that won't cause hypothermia: no cotton baselayers, lots of breathability and wool, and a decent shell outer layer
  3. compass, map, and a substantial first aid & survival kit
  4. water filter or purification system ... you'll end up drinking from rivers, creeks, ponds and muddy puddles if need be. Even the ones that look clean can be a hazard ... take care!!
  5. other stuff
  6. most importantly ... the knowledge in how to use #1-4, above.

... the proper way to set up a campsite, the basics of no trace camping.

Maybe you are here already, but make sure you have a healthy respect for Mother Nature. Leave nothing behind but footsteps, and try to leave as few of those as possible.

Top Bottom