What's new

Backpacking Newbie

1. good boots ... that you can walk 10 miles+ per day in, and be comfortable (best to know this befoe you head out on that two-week trek, not five days from civilisation
  2. proper clothing ... dress in layers that won't cause hypothermia: no cotton baselayers, lots of breathability and wool, and a decent shell outer layer
  3. compass, map, and a substantial first aid & survival kit
  4. water filter or purification system ... you'll end up drinking from rivers, creeks, ponds and muddy puddles if need be. Even the ones that look clean can be a hazard ... take care!!
  5. other stuff
  6. most importantly ... the knowledge in how to use #1-4, above.
Great advice, Ian.

Jay, when purchasing boots, the first thing I check is that they hold my heels securely. If they don't, I try another pair.

Regardless of the length and route of your trip, pack as though you will be out a couple of extra nights (Ian's point #3).

Have fun!

Last edited:
thanks. I'm looking into some boots. Thought about just wearing my trail shoes, but not sure how they'll hold up.

I wear New Balance 804, or whatever the latest NB trail running shoe is (806?). I wear Thorlo Light Hiker socks with them. Often I will replace the stock insole with an aftermarket insole. I keep my pack weight to a minimum, use hiking poles (at least one), and watch where I step. I am not going to trudge along, kicking up rocks, wearing heavy boots. If I walk through water, it gets pumped out almost immediately by the polyester hi-wicking socks and the shoes. I wear these on winter hikes as well.

Remember the 5 Cs:

Combustion Source(matches/lighter/fire-steel)
Cutting Tool(good knife or two)
Cover(lightweight tent)
Cordage(light, strong rope for repairs, getting your food and gear off the ground and such. I like paracord)
Cook pot

Yes, I know I stole that from Dave Canterburry but it is the best short list of necessary stuff for making it in the woods. Everything else is comfort if you know the area well.

Awesome! Let us know what gear you end up with and how your trip goes.

If you haven't scored your boots yet, I can recommend Keen brand. I went to try on a pair of Merrel's at REI and the salesperson recommended the Keens instead. I compared a number of models of each brand and went with the Keen for the superior arch support and firmer hold. I've taken mine out for a lot of hikes and have always come back with happy feet. For the hardcore, lug everything on the back kind of camping, I've a pair of Lowa boots that are very nice, too. Good luck, man!

Here's the Keen's I ended up with

Recommend going to REI to try on boots/shoes.

I use New Balance Trail Runners, but I keep my packweight w/food&water under 30lbs.

Trekking poles help a LOT.

Backpacker.com forums are a great source of knowledge.

This is what I would recommend you:

The BIG number one: Good boots. Good boots. Good boots. Get it into your head. Good boots will keep you going, running and climbing everywhere. They will save your life and keep your ankles from breaking when you're tired. Okay, enough with the drama over boots. But seriously, get some good boots :001_smile (Put good socks in your boots. Good boots are worth jack without the proper socks.)

The number two: a good backpack. Only you can figure out what this means. A heavier backpack might sound stupid, but if it's a better fit, it's worth it. Talk to the pros on this one. Osprey is a good brand to start with.

After this, pretty much everything is up to your own priorities. I value a good set of trousers. Preferably some trousers you can use both in warm and cold weather, with enough space for undergarments (wool long johns for example).

I like a good drinking system, but you'll want a bottle no matter what. So start with that. Get a plastic one with a BIG opening. A big opening on a bottle will have you drinking a bit more than you need with every sip, pretty much a free guarantee against dehydration. A Camelbak or similar will not do this for you. You might think this is silly, but water management is important. If I could choose, I'd bring a 3 litre camelback AND a plastic bottle. You can urinate in a bottle as well, if you ever need to.

A knife and other cutting tools. I can get by with just a leatherman tool, but it's not comfortable if you need to cut firewood for example. Find out what is right for you. An axe is gonna add to your weight. No matter what you do, you need a knife blade in addition to everything else.

A burner/camp stove. Start easy. Buy something that runs on gas. It's not the cheapest fuel, but it's light. If you're going to go hiking/camping in cold weather climates, buy a gasoline based multifuel stove. They'll run on basically everything that's not alcohol. When buying a burner, focus on something that's SIMPLE to operate and clean/maintain. The fewer parts the better. Get something idiot proof. Primus has a really cheap gas burner you should look into. Like 20-30 bucks, can't remember the name.

Sleeping bag, mat and tent. I only buy Norwegian brands, so I'm not sure if I can help you here. Look for a sleeping mat that can be used during both Summer and winter. If you sleep in a tent, the mat is more important than the bag (if you have a burner you can heat your tent). With a tent, go for quality, but minimum weight. Ask professionals.

ALWAYS bring a map and compass, and learn to use them, and learn how to set a course.

Those are just a few basics, but I bring more when I go camping. My main advice to you is to bring more clothes than you think you need. Especially underwear and socks. Always bring "safety and comfort" garments/items. In the Norwegian army, we call these thing coma items. If you should ever go into a physical or mental state of extreme fatigue, we call it a coma. Kinda jokingly obviously, but a big, 100 % wool jumper will save your *** when your tent blew away and your raincoat got torn on a sharp rock or twig. Same with trail mix. Bring a coma mix full of high energy food for when you really need it. Or if someone ELSE needs it.

And my last tip.. Bring toilet paper inside a plastic freezer bag, tucked into your back pocket. Always.

EDIT
Don't hesitate to shoot me a PM if you have questions about footwear or what kind of clothing you should get. I got a title to prove it, and user Defend Tacoma can attest to my knowledge =)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info and advice guys!

Did my newbie boot camp trip Saturday/Sunday. It was AWESOME! Saturday we did 8-9 miles through some hilly, wet, muddy, terrain. I loved ever minute of it. Sunday was only 3-4 miles through relatively flat terrain, but we get dumped on!

Thanks for all the info and advice guys!

Did my newbie boot camp trip Saturday/Sunday. It was AWESOME! Saturday we did 8-9 miles through some hilly, wet, muddy, terrain. I loved ever minute of it. Sunday was only 3-4 miles through relatively flat terrain, but we get dumped on!

Awesome. Challenging terrain gives you the best memories. A couple of friends and me spent two hours on two kilometres once. Pretty much undisturbed forest with a little climb involved.

Did you take photos?

No, I didn't even take a camera.

My thoughts:

Tent - I was looking at trading in my tent for a different model as it is a little heavy, but the one I was looking at is really not any lighter.

Boots - Mine are shot. Looking to get a new pair. I'm leaning towards some light hikers or trail shoes. I've had a few pairs of "waterproof" Goretex boots and they all leaked after a month or two. Any suggestions?

Stove - I picked up a Primus Yellowstone. It's a nice stove for the money. A little heavy and bulky, but for $20 it was well worth it. Anyone have any experience with alcohol stoves? I would like to learn more about them.

My thoughts:

Tent - I was looking at trading in my tent for a different model as it is a little heavy, but the one I was looking at is really not any lighter.

Boots - Mine are shot. Looking to get a new pair. I'm leaning towards some light hikers or trail shoes. I've had a few pairs of "waterproof" Goretex boots and they all leaked after a month or two. Any suggestions?

Stove - I picked up a Primus Yellowstone. It's a nice stove for the money. A little heavy and bulky, but for $20 it was well worth it. Anyone have any experience with alcohol stoves? I would like to learn more about them.

With all due respect, I disagree with a lot of what Rossmeister said. I'm guessing that's because I live in a relatively warm environment. I have no doubt that he's knowledgeable, but Norway is much different than Northern California. It is rare that I am in 40 degree weather, although I have backpacked in the snow.

A big issue is going to be your bank account and age. If you're 20 and don't have much money, your backpacking equipment is going to be different than mine. I'm 45, and I need every advantage I can get, so I pay the big bucks for ultralight gear. :001_tongu

Regarding your tent, I have moved to a shelter. It is much much lighter. I use a tent when there is a chance of rain, but I prefer the shelter. My tent is a MSR, and my shelter is an Silitarp similar to this: tarp.

With a tarp you almost always need to use trekking poles. I absolutely love my trekking poles and suggest giving them a try.

Regarding boots, I have gortex boots (Danner's) and love them, but I'm moving to Keen hiking shoes. Since my backpack is light (10-15 lbs.), I don't need heavy duty boots. Gortex retains heat, so my new shoes won't have Gortex.

I have 2 stoves. The first is a classic, the MSR Whisperlite. It's a great stove. You don't need a multifuel stove since White Gas (Coleman fuel) is easy to find. I also have a 1 oz titanium alcohol stove which I love. Because it’s alcohol I don't use it in the cold (40 degrees or less) and I've never used it for frying. I suggest getting both, but if you can only get one, then I'd get the MSR Whisperlite. EDIT: I forgot about my other stove that I love and use with alongside my alcohol stove... it's a $10 Esbet stove with Esbet tablets. Works great in warm weather.

BTW, I have an Osprey Exos 46 backpack and love it. I use it when I go out with my 9 year old. I also have a GoLite backpack that weighs about 14 oz. I use that when I go solo.

Backpacking it like shaving.... Williams (cheap) or Czech & Speake are not "wrong." Different people have different perspectives, wants, and needs.

I disagree with Rossmeister as follows:

I love my hydration system. I drink more water with it than the big mouthed Nalgene.

I carry a small knife. I've never had to cut firewood in the woods. I just find it on the ground.

I never carry a map or compass because I rarely go off trail and know the area pretty well. That's not to say I wouldn't buy a map if I was going to a new place.

I never use wool. Synthetics (except down) are much better.

I never buy stuff to use in the winter. You will notice 3 Season and 4 Season items. I'm not interested in backpacking in the winter, and winter gear is much heavier.

I never bring more clothes. I do laundry with Dr. Bonner's soap and a 1 oz laundry line that I bring. So I have one set of clothes on my body, and one set in my backpack. I do carry an extra pair of socks. A sock change in the middle of the hike feels great.

That's my perspective. Like I said above, Rossmeister isn't wrong, and I'm not wrong. We just go about it differently, and I'm guessing it's because of the areas where we backpack.

Last edited:
i just stumbled onto this thread and agree with most all of the posts about using good gear. with that said i've been getting out there for almost 40yrs, "has it been that long"? going with a friend for the first few times can be a great learning experience and so many people i see use absolute crap gear and have a great time. they learn from it too. enjoy the coming seasons and use some good bug dope to make the experience that much better

My thoughts:

As for what Goby said.. Completely true about the weather. If you don't need extra clothes in an emergency, don't bring them.

Do you know why they leaked? Did you take good care of them? Were they leather or fabric?

You need to take care of your boots after almost every time (day) they've been wet, depending on how much. The Gore-Tex membrane itself may tear after some time, but should never do this after a month. If you've taken good care of your boots and they still leak after a couple of months, you have an inferior product and you should either take them back for a refund, or spend more money next time.

Or go with all leather boots, but they require very heavy maintenance.

I'm with Goby on this - a beginner on a well marked trail doesn't need the same amount or type of gear as an experienced hiker striking out into the back country. The biggest knife I ever carry on our trips is one to slice cheese for our pre-dinner snacks!

Regarding boots: I'm trying out something new, the New Balance MT101 trail shoe.
This a "barefoot" model, without the stupid looking separate toes. I'm carrying a Maxped for 1 or 2 nights (I'll be showing my loadout soon, just getting it squared away) and have worn these shoes without socks instead of boots now for three hikes.
I was a little worried about ankle support, and stickers, but so far have found the need for hiking boots, in temperate weather, to be unfounded. I can't say I'm not sold all the way, but I'm about 90% there. Ounces instead of pounds, quick drying, almost a barefoot feel...wow.
They may be on to something here.
Brent.

Top Bottom