What's new

Back pocket carry for LCP Custom?

With my front pockets full with my cell phone, keys, etc... anyone carry in the back pocket?

I am up and down off a stool at work all day. Was wondering about damage to the gun, uncomfortable sitting positions, and the #1 reason...safety.

Of course I would be using a holster made for this.

What do you think?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I carry my Ruger LCP in my right front pocket and my cell phone in my right rear pocket. I take the phone out when I sit down.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I used to carry a Walther TPH in my right back pocket years ago. It's about the same size as the LCP. Due to the way I'm built it worked okay when sitting, except for a deep chair with a back and arms. You may be fine sitting on a stool. It should be a bit more accessible than a front pocket while seated. The only way to find out is try it and see how it works for you. You could also try rearranging the contents of your front pockets...belt holster for your cell phone maybe...and see if a front pocket carry works.

When I was on patrol I'd carry a DAO AMT Backup in .40 in my left front uniform pants pocket. While talking to hinkey people I could keep them from getting too paranoid by not having my right hand real close to my duty weapon but still have my left hand in my pocket and have a .40 caliber delivery system in my hand without them knowing it. They would invariably keep their attention on my duty weapon. Sneaky is good. :001_smile

Nowadays I usually carry either a .38 snubby or a Colt Officers ACP in a tuckable IWB at about 4:00...especially if I have to go to the "not so nice" parts of town to do interviews or something. If I'm just making a quick run to the store or something I'll stick the snubby in a front pocket.

Well, as Mike said you'll probably just have to try it. There are number of holsters made for rear pocket carry. For myself, it would never work - I'd be sitting right on the gun.

You might consider a reorg of your every day carry (maybe carry phone on a belt pouch?) to accommodate a front pocket holster.

Another option would be carrying a belt pouch designed for CCW, like this one:
http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/H...on/Nylon-Belt-Pouch-Holster-Ambidextrous.aspx

The gun sits behind a little velcro flap inside the main compartment, leaving the rest of the pack open for whatever else you might want to carry. I think it's pretty stealthy. I occasionally carry my P938 or LCP in one of these and I never get a second look. Draw from this is not as fast as a pocket carry or standard holster, but you can teach yourself to do it pretty quickly.

Used these for years. They work perfectly.

$image.jpeg

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

Last edited:
Holster, yes; just pocket carry no bueno IMO.

I carry an LC9s Pro in a simple holster clipped to the inside of my belt. It barely prints with an untucked tee or polo and not at all with an untucked sport or casual dress shirt. This same holster is versatile, and can be used outside the belt or IWB.

Why not a holster that sits on your belt around your lower back? It would keep you off the gun, which would protect the gun and your back/hips/shoulder alignment! I have a PPKS holster that works well, and the LCP is even smaller.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Why not a holster that sits on your belt around your lower back? It would keep you off the gun, which would protect the gun and your back/hips/shoulder alignment! I have a PPKS holster that works well, and the LCP is even smaller.

Excellent advice. If I carried a pistol in my back pocket and sat down, I would be afraid to cut off blood flow from sitting on it. Then my arse cheek and leg would fall asleep and I would fall down, when I tried to stand up. ;)

I am an auto service retail store manager. I wear shorts and a tucked in polo shirt.
One minute I sit down to talk to a customer, the next minute I'm in the shop helping, next minute I'm in the parking lot airing up tires in the beating Florida sun.
IWB not an option with tucked shirt.
I think I will put my phone somewhere else and carry in a front pocket.
Thanks for your input guys.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I am an auto service retail store manager. I wear shorts and a tucked in polo shirt.
One minute I sit down to talk to a customer, the next minute I'm in the shop helping, next minute I'm in the parking lot airing up tires in the beating Florida sun.
IWB not an option with tucked shirt.
I think I will put my phone somewhere else and carry in a front pocket.
Thanks for your input guys.

Nice choice on front pocket. Just keep moving it around until you find a place that's comfortable for you...depending on your circumstances.

Being as you are in auto service, I have an example of an auto tech. at a local shop I frequent that was attacked by, I'll just say thugs, in the front parking lot. He took a pretty good beating until he got out his...wait for it...LCP he had in his pocket and put a stop to it. No shots were fired.

PM me if you want details of what happened when the PoPo showed up and the resulting actions from the DA's office.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Not a fan of any sort of (pants) pocket carry nor SOB. A backwards fall on a hard surface and Small Of Back carry can result in serious spinal injury.There are tuckable IWB hostlers and various clips that can be attached to small semiautos and the Barami Hip Grip for small revolvers. I routinely carry my S&W J frame with the Hip Grips and a Tyler T-grip adapter IWB without a holster or my Keltec P 11 with a clip as my "yard gun" when working outside around my house and getting dirty or sweaty. I use a Comp-Tac C-Tac tuckable IWB holster for my Kahr PM9.
http://baramihipgrip.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom