What's new

Baby Oil on Razor Blade

Just gleaning tips for the upcoming One Blade In February Challenge. Do you think placing a thin amount of baby oil or vaseline on a razor blade's edges after use (and towel blot dry) would help keep it from oxidizing and dulling?

I don't see how it could hurt, so do it! Although I'd be careful with Vaseline, don't get cut. A drop of baby oil or shave oil would be fine.

Obtain a small pill bottle or other small bottle. Fill it with Isoproply Alcohol (rubbing alcohol). After cleaning and drying your blade place it in the bottle and cap it. This should protect the steel blade from air and moisture to minimize oxidation.

I don't know...personally, I think that I would not want to remove and handle the blade between every shave. The best way to dull a blade is to repeatedly (mis)handle it...

...but that's just me.
It's something I do anyway because I don't like old hair and soap stuck in the razor. Regardless of how well I rinse a razor, I find I have to disassemble it to get out every bit of gunk.

Thanks!

I have a few "live" weapons from martial arts training. We're taught to oil them before storing if it is a matter of months or years before the item will be used again. Seems like the same logic might apply to single edge razor blades? Of course with a double edge razor blade that only needs to be usable for a month in the Challenge, I'm probably splitting hairs (heh).

It's something I do anyway because I don't like old hair and soap stuck in the razor. Regardless of how well I rinse a razor, I find I have to disassemble it to get out every bit of gunk.

Thanks!

I loosen my razor, rinse it thoroughly, tighten it, shake it off, carefully dry the handle, avoiding the edge, and let it air dry. I only touch my blades twice: when new, and when replacing.

Different strokes.

From what I understand, a small drop on the threads, and a small drop on the blade itself will suffice. It certainly won’t hurt. I use Shave Secret which can be had for a few bucks but, I think that any oil will do… just depends on if you want that oil on your face.

@cranewarrior , vaseline could interfere with your shaving soap. Also wiping it off could damage to blade coatings. All I ever do is rinse my razor in very hot water and let it air dry in between blade changes. While I typically realize 6-12 shaves from my blades I've had outliers last 20+ days. Razor gets a thorough cleaning with each blade change.

I take apart my razor. I rinse the blade under running water and wipe it between my fingers, while rinsing. I then blot dry it with a paper towel. And set it aside for the next morning.

As long as you are using stainless steel blades and they have been cleaned and dried, I doubt that anything else would be necessary.

Maybe if you were in a hostile environment?

They are not going to rust in a few days if they are kept clean and dry.

As someone who shaves more often with straight razors than with safety razors, I know that baby oil is ill suited for blade conservation, as it soon forms small oil beads on the metal surface.

A better choice would be Ballistol, while some (straight) shavers use Tuf-Glide or camelia oil instead.
I am not sure about Tuf-Glide products, but Ballistol contains no carcinogens, which is why it gets my vote.

But looking at the price of safety razor blades, the expense and effort the application of these oils takes makes it IMO not a worthwhile proposition.
If not done right, you may even shorten the useful life of a razor blade.

B.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Water is definitely not your friend when it comes to blade longevity. But I would avoid rubbing the blade. I think a small container of some sort as a bath for the razor head would be a better choice, although I personally find the 5 or 6 blade challenge in February works better for me.

As someone who shaves more often with straight razors than with safety razors, I know that baby oil is ill suited for blade conservation, as it soon forms small oil beads on the metal surface.
So I have been shaving with the oil still on the blade and I haven't noticed any adverse effects other than clumping of the whiskers in the razor. This admittedly is annoying. I won't be oiling my blades after the Challenge is over.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
il_fullxfull.4773643085_fm47.jpg

But, you do you! :lol1:

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Armchair thought: no matter what we do there will always be tiny amounts of soap, dead skin, etc... deposited in the microscopic machine marks on the ground part of the blade.

Is POTENTIALLY displacing this with another substance beneficial to BOTH longevity and not impacting the quality of the shave?

I have no idea :D

Top Bottom