What's new

B&B Modern Razor Aggressiveness Scale?

Some of the confusion on the list may be attributable to inaccurate measurements, or manufacturing variances, but much can be explained by the blade exposure likely being more important to aggressiveness than blade gap.

If you haven't seen this photo illustration already, it can be helpful in clarifying the differences between blade gap and blade exposure:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=175370&d=1307416386&stc=1

Cheers,
Shawnsel

Yes, I have seen the picture. Great one and explains in a fine way those bolded words. I agree that blade exposure might be one important thing in aggressiveness and how blade cuts. I'm am a woodworking teacher and as well as chisels, handplanes and sharpening are really close to my heart I love to sharpen and use my 10 different shirogami kitchen knives ( usuba, yanagiba, guyto's, petty etc..) Different bevels really matter how blade cuts.

I'm am a woodworking teacher and as well as chisels, handplanes and sharpening are really close to my heart I love to sharpen and use my 10 different shirogami kitchen knives ( usuba, yanagiba, guyto's, petty etc..) Different bevels really matter how blade cuts.

You know much more about the subject than I do then. I'm glad that you also find this project interesting, and I thank you for your help!

Cheers!
Shawnsel

I just noticed this. I gave the Merkur 1904 a 2.5 rating. That was the straight bar version and not the open comb. I am actually curious about the open comb version if anyone has any expirience with both versions.

I just noticed this. I gave the Merkur 1904 a 2.5 rating. That was the straight bar version and not the open comb. I am actually curious about the open comb version if anyone has any experience with both versions.

Thank you for the clarifying question.

I didn't realize this before, but apparently Merkur makes just three razor heads for its non-adjustable razors. One straight bar (SB) version, and one open comb (OC) and one slant. The other differences between all of the different (non-adjustable) models is apparently ... just in the handles.

My original list did not reflect this ... and to complicate things, at the time I had thought that all of the 1904 models were OC.

As the research, replies, and polls currently stand ... the 3 non-adjustable Merkur heads are ranking as:
5.5 Merkur 37C/39C slant
3.5 Merkur non-adjustable standard bar razor heads models 34/38 etc.
2.5 Merkur open comb razor heads models 15/25 etc

A full, updated version of the list can be found in a reply at:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...or-Aggressiveness-Scale?p=6367642#post6367642

Note that all further updates (until/unless it finds a home in our Wiki) will also be in replies to the thread, as I am no longer able to edit my original post.

Last edited:
I just noticed this. I gave the Merkur 1904 a 2.5 rating. That was the straight bar version and not the open comb. I am actually curious about the open comb version if anyone has any expirience with both versions.

I have (had) both models 23C & 25C. Head is same on straight bar versions Merkur 23C (long handle), 33C (short handle), 34C (HD), 42 (1904). Same way on open combs 41(1904), 15C (short handle) & 25C (long handle).

23C is same head as 34C (HD) and if we are judging only heads it should be on same level. 23C with long, thin and light handle is IMO a great starter razor. 34C HD nick name I have never understood, nothing to do with heavy duty work. It is a great razor anyway.
25C head itself is a mildest razor what I have tried. With same long, thin light handle it is a razor which needs double passes comparing to normal routine and even then it leaves stubbles on a tough spots. I teached my son to shave with this razor and it served well on that mission with 16 years old's light whiskers without causing any bleeding. One thing what makes this model even boring is that it needs exactly correct angle to cut. Out of the angle and it won't cut nothing.
After reading people's comments I assume that Merkur OC head is on feather's level. AS-D1 or AS-D2, I don't know because I haven't let myself to buy such a expensive razor as Feather is (this far :001_smile).

Huh, the Parker 26C is less aggressive than the 99R? That just saved me a couple bucks.

Parker 26C is IMO just below Merkur 34C and on par with 23C. Parker TTO heads then are on par with 23C, same results but different feeling on shaving again.
Like this
4.0 Muhle R89 Grande
3.5 Merkur 34c HD
3.0 Parker 26C OC
3.0 Merkur SB (23C, 33C, 42)
3.0 Parker 22R/99R (TTO)
2.0 Feather AS-D2 ??
1.0 Merkur OC (41, 15C, 25C)
1.0 Feather AS-D1 ??

Last edited:
I'm thinking the Feather AS-D1 might not be the best 1.0 reference point. It is no longer available. It reportedly had large degrees of manufacturing variance in the blade gap. Plus ... not many people seem to have experience with both it, and the Muhle R41 2011, 10.0 reference point.

I'm thinking I'll put together a poll for the mildest currently manufactured razor and see what people say.

Does this look like a good list for the poll?

2.5 Merkur open comb razor heads models 15/25 etc
2.5 RiMei
2.5 Feather AS-D2 (polled at about equal to Feather Popular)
2.5 Feather Popular
2.0 Lord L6 / L5
1.5 Wilkinson Sword Classic
1.5 Weishi / Micro Touch One / Van Der Hagen TTO
1.5 Merkur Futur (on 1)
1.5 Merkur Progress (on 1)

This is interesting and it saved me some buck$. On the vendor websites, both 1904 models looked identical to me except for the open comb vs straight bar. So I assumed that the Open Comb was more aggressive than the Straight bar. I like my Straight bar version and wouldn't mind if it was a bit more aggressive, so the OC would have been the next step. Thank you gents for the info.

Question for those watching this thread :

Where on this spectrum would the various cartridge razors go? :001_huh:

I'm not sure if I want to bother adding them to the list, but the question came to mind, and I thought I'd ask others for their opinion.

Thanks!
Shawnsel

Hi. Interesting thread. Why do you have the Ikon OSS open comb side as less aggressive than the sb side?

I haven't yet differentiated between the sides of the I Kon OSS or Shavecraft heads. Right now they are being averaged on this list, but I would like to get a consensus on if the sides are significantly different (and by how much).

The I Kon SB is a completely different razor. It is Standard Bar (SB) on both sides, and is usually regarded as being significantly more aggressive than either of the other two razors.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Shawnsel

I wasn't referring to the Ikon standard.

On your list you have "3.0 Ikon OSS (OC 2.0?)" I thought this was implying the the safety bar side was 3.0 and the open comb side perhaps milder at 2.0. Anyway, my experience of the OSS would put the OC side at 3.0 and the sb side at 2.5. I know some people think that both sides are very close, if not identical in aggressiveness.

Cheers

Keithmax, can I get you to attach numbers to each of those to complete your vote?

Thanks!
Shawnsel
As requested

10- but I would give it an 11 if I could 2011 R41
9.5- ATT H2
9.5- Joris OC
9- ATT H1 tied with Muehle Futur on 6
8.5- ATT R2
8- ATT R1
8- 2013 R41 (I don't find this any where near it's 2011 predecessor but it does deliver a great shave)
Not so aggressive
7- Cobra Classic
6.5- Merkur Slant
5.5- Ikon CC
4.5- Merkur 34C

Mild
4 Muehle R89
3- Ikon OC
2- Ikon Slant
1- Gillette Tech

I haven't yet differentiated between the sides of the I Kon OSS or Shavecraft heads. Right now they are being averaged on this list, but I would like to get a consensus on if the sides are significantly different (and by how much).

The I Kon SB is a completely different razor. It is Standard Bar (SB) on both sides, and is usually regarded as being significantly more aggressive than either of the other two razors.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Shawnsel
When I tried both the OC and CC Ikon I found the CC to be more aggressive

I have the ikon Sc101 and generally speaking the SB side is more aggressive than the OC side, but not by much, provided the blade is loaded properly with even exposure on both sides.

Razors with play that allow for uneven blade loading can throw a monkey wrench into this exercise; load the SC 101 with more exposure on the SB side and there is a significant difference in aggressiveness; load it with more exposure on the OC side and the two sides are indistinguishable.

But, as I said above, if you load it with even exposure the SB side is slightly more aggressive.

I have the ikon Sc101 and generally speaking the SB side is more aggressive than the OC side, but not by much, provided the blade is loaded properly with even exposure on both sides.

Razors with play that allow for uneven blade loading can throw a monkey wrench into this exercise; load the SC 101 with more exposure on the SB side and there is a significant difference in aggressiveness; load it with more exposure on the OC side and the two sides are indistinguishable.

But, as I said above, if you load it with even exposure the SB side is slightly more aggressive.

Thank for that insight! It definitely makes sense and helps to explain some of the wider variances in opinions.

Top Bottom