What's new

B&B Modern Razor Aggressiveness Scale?

:w00t:

Houston - we have a problem with the user opinion based list....:lol:
I should clarify!
On 1 it's mild. But even a 3 makes it too aggressive for me. :tongue_sm

Just wanted to add. I have a Cadet TTO, almost positive it's the same as the Razorock TTO. It's quite aggressive. More so than any other TTO I have. Yet It still gives amazing shaves.

Last edited:
I should clarify!
On 1 it's mild. But even a 3 makes it too aggressive for me.

Just wanted to add. I have a Cadet TTO, almost positive it's the same as the Razorock TTO. It's quite aggressive. More so than any other TTO I have. Yet It still gives amazing shaves.

Would you care to attach some numbers to your experience? It's the only way we can really collect enough public opinions to make this process work....

X.X RazoRock/Cadet TTO
X.X Futur at 3
X.X Futur at 2
X.X Futur at 1

Thanks!
Shawn

Here's Mine:

My completely subjective aggressiveness rankings:

10.0 Muhle 2011 R41
8.0 Cadet OC TP24
8.0 Ikon slant
6.5 Razorock Slab
5.5 Merkur 37c
2.0 Feather ASD2

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I should clarify!
On 1 it's mild. But even a 3 makes it too aggressive for me. :tongue_sm

This is what I meant with a user-opinion list. It may or may not be in the same spot. When you have hard data, it's 0.25mm and that's it regardless of what Fred or Bob say, it's still 0.25mm. So that plus something else give you a statistic number which will rank accurately the razors.

Anyways, good luck with the list :001_smile

This is what I meant with a user-opinion list. It may or may not be in the same spot. When you have hard data, it's 0.25mm and that's it regardless of what Fred or Bob say, it's still 0.25mm. So that plus something else give you a statistic number which will rank accurately the razors.

Anyways, good luck with the list :001_smile

Thanks you for the well wishes! I do hope this little project produces something Wiki-worthy and of value to the community.

I really do see what you mean about strongly favoring hard, objective data. However, I also wonder that even if we had a list of accurately measured blade exposures (which I would totally love to see somebody create), I think we might still have to collect user opinions on how much significance to give each measurable aspect (blade gap, blade exposure, head weight, handle weight, handle length, blade angle(s) ... and maybe others?) to create a formula for "aggressiveness".

Would the aggressiveness formula be something like this?

Aggressiveness = (BladeGap x BladeGapMultiplier) + (BladeExposure x BladeExposureMultiplier) + (MaxBladeAngle x MaxBladeAngleMultiplier) + (MinBladeAngle x MinBladeAngleMultiplier)

Each of the "xMultipliers" would have to either be subjectively guessed by the statistician ... or collectively subjectively guessed by a group of shavers. (And note that my formula above doesn't even include several of the measurable aspects yet....)

Or perhaps it is possible for an engineer to come up with an industry-accepted formula for aggressiveness? I don't know....

Regardless though, I think statisticians would agree that if we collect a large enough sample size in our public opinion poll ... then each of our subjective guesses when aggregated will collectively become meaningful data. If we get just Fred and Bob ... not much value. But if we get Fred and Bob plus 50 others ... and there is a degree of consensus ... then I think we'll have something truly useful.

At least I hope so? :)

Cheers,
Shawnsel

Last edited:
Here's Mine:

My completely subjective aggressiveness rankings:

10.0 Muhle 2011 R41
8.0 Cadet OC TP24
8.0 Ikon slant
6.5 Razorock Slab
5.5 Merkur 37c
2.0 Feather ASD2

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm looking for!

Yes, with just yourself it's completely subjective ... but if we get say 50 other members to also provide their completely subjective aggressiveness rankings ... then I think when combined the results will become less subjective, and of significant value to people looking for new razors.

Last edited:
I think the formula to quantify the dark matter in the Universe would be simpler than the razor aggressiveness formula.

Simply because even if you create one and classify razor X as being Y aggressive, I might still disagree, because my skin and beard are different than yours.

Still, I wish you all the best.

I think the formula to quantify the dark matter in the Universe would be simpler than the razor aggressiveness formula.

Simply because even if you create one and classify razor X as being Y aggressive, I might still disagree, because my skin and beard are different than yours.

Still, I wish you all the best.

LOL ... and thank you!

Even my ideal list will still only be an average of polled opinions ... but hopefully once an individual gets a feel for how they relate to the averaged list ... they'll be able to extrapolate to figure out what new razor they would like to try.

Cheers!
Shawnsel

Economists and other social scientists do this sort of thing all the time. And it works. Think of Shawnsel as the Nate Silver of shaving. Stop worrying about refining the model and just
VOTE
VOTE
VOTE

8.0 Ikon slant
6.5 Razorock Slab
5.5 Merkur 37c

For now I've marked these three in the list with ~ or ? indicating a variances in experience-based opinions. I'll adjust their rankings after we get more votes on those razors.

Thanks again!

I am not actually making this claim, but going strictly by the method currently posted here I guess I would have to rate my Feather AS-D1 at a 10.
For it is the most aggressive modern razor I have had meaningful experience with.....:001_smile

I am not actually making this claim, but going strictly by the method currently posted here I guess I would have to rate my Feather AS-D1 at a 10.
For it is the most aggressive modern razor I have had meaningful experience with.....:001_smile

Wow. Do you think it has a manufacturing defect? Or are you saying that you have to do so many passes with your AS-D1 that it severely irritates your skin? Or are you saying that you think it is as efficient as the other 10's on the list?

Oh wait ... are you saying that it's the only modern razor that you've used? If so, you totally got me! :laugh:

Wow. Do you think it has a manufacturing defect? Or are you saying that you have to do so many passes with your AS-D1 that it severely irritates your skin? Or are you saying that you think it is as efficient as the other 10's on the list?

I'm just messing with you, but in good spirit and hope it is received as such. You see the AS-D1 is my only modern razor, so it is my most aggressive, or a 10.
Sorry....I'll stop now.

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm looking for!

Yes, with just yourself it's completely subjective ... but if we get say 50 other members to also provide their completely subjective aggressiveness rankings ... then I think when combined the results will become less subjective, and of significant value to people looking for new razors.
You are welcome but a huge YMMV on this. Although at the extremes, ie Feather ASD1 vs Muhle R41, you may find more general agreement.

I'm just messing with you, but in good spirit and hope it is received as such. You see the AS-D1 is my only modern razor, so it is my most aggressive, or a 10.
Sorry....I'll stop now.
My apologies but I had to quote this guy! But this is also why I feel a opinion based way of measuring aggressiveness is needed. Because after many many times and trials using razors.... And I mean by many people... The truth will rise to the top so to speak. It may well indeed take some time, but eventually the overall average of how a razor feels will come through.

Here is my list of my razors used on my face

#1 the king of aggressive, this one goes to 11 2011 R41
ATT H2
Joris OC
ATT H1 tied with Muehle Futur on 6
ATT R2
ATT R1
2013 R41 (I don't find this any where near it's 2011 predecessor but it does deliver a great shave)
Not so aggressive
Cobra Classic
Merkur Slant
Ikon CC
Merkur 34C

Mild
Muehle R89
Ikon OC
Ikon Slant

I found the solution to this problem ...

View attachment 459653
Use it wisely, it contains the secrets of the Universe.
And also how to determine razor aggressiveness accurately.
$fav_strip5_full.jpg

This is a fantastic idea, although as we are seeing, it's also fantastically difficult to put together. A few thoughts of mine...

If any razor could be more than 10, it would be the 2011. I don't think any razor can match the rating of the 2011, no matter what that rating is, although I've never tried a futur so I can't really comment on that razor specifically matching the 2011.

Additionally, I think that the Razorock Stealth should be WAY farther down on the list. I don't think it's a 6.5 at all. Not even close. For exampe, the merkur 37/39c is, IMO, more aggressive by the stealth BY FAR, and I'd easily say the same is true for the Ikon slant. Honestly, I think the Razorock Stealth is even milder than the Weber polished head. And the merkur 34c.

So yea… just trying to share my personal opinion!

I don't believe there is a way to scientifically test aggressiveness. Especially when everyone's skin is different. However I took this as just assigning a rough number so that a member would know approximately how aggressive a razor is.

Top Bottom