What's new

August 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Good to be back in the GRUME.

Arko
SOC Boar in Cherry
RazoRock Wunderbar
Shark Super Chrome
Witch Hazel

IMG_20210806_214112.jpg

Excellent shave with the RazoRock Wunderbar and Shark blade.

My rambling thoughts:

Tabac refills were received today and seeing those refills I actually felt very empty.

There is no way those refills will last a lifetime, there are many good soaps as said by many members and therefore there was no need for the binge purchase as it isn't the end of the world.

Then what was the need to purchase those refills?

I sensed that whatever dissatisfaction or want that is felt in other aspects of my life, it is sometimes misdirected and ends up in binge purchases of things - soaps, blades etc.

Being in GRUME helps but I'll need to get a better understanding of the thought process so that such incidences can be avoided altogether.

Ps: I'm happy with the Tabac refills but I'd rather not take part in the 'fire sale' even if some other Classics gets discontinued or gets reformulated.

Still in.

evening shave after 36 hours.

PdP 63
Omega ? Brush
RR GC 68
Derby Extra (2)
PdP 63 AS balm

A bit of unexpected tugging for only the second shave in this blade. Still satisfied and the wife loves PdP 63 scent.
Leaving the steamy south for a vacation in Michigan early tomorrow. Probably won’t check in for a week!
Packing a travel can of Barbasol and a Gillette SkinGuard. First time to use a cartridge in quite a while!
Stay safe!

I admire the commitment to GRUME principles demonstrated by @Contact_vs_Feedback.

But if they reformulate MWF, I will be out of the GRUME in a hot second, to ensure a large supply of the original formula.

Short of that, I hope to achieve my first two-in-a row at the end of this month.
If they reformulated it I would trade you all three of my pucks. Honestly, if they don't reformulate it I would still trade all three of my pucks for any number of things.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Still in.

Not really interested in Tabac, but it's interesting watching the response to the removing of tallow and subsequent panic buying from some.

Ralf Aust 5/8
SV 2.0 Shaving Brush
SV Tundra Artica Soap
SV Tundra Artica Aftershave

View attachment 1308149
It's not panic buying for me. I consider my purchase of 10 Tabac sticks a prudent investment, much like the bitcoin I bought at the top of the market.

Still in and today was a remind why I shouldn't shave two days in a row with sensitive skin. Sometimes my desire to shave overcomes my common sense knowing that I'll suffer from post-shave irritation (PSI) for hours if I don't give my skin at least 48 hours between shaves. Also, after about 13 years, it's time to re-knot the Lee's Safety brush. I'll wait to order on Sept 1, but damn...

Anyway, here's the lineup:

Pre-war Tech
Personna Platinum (1)
Lee's Safety Best Badger
Moon Soaps Havana Soap and AS Balm

Ended up throwing some Nivea Sensitive Cool on as well to help with the PSI.

Tomorrow will most definitely be a day off for me.

Well, my face is red. I don't just mean literally red, although that's true too. I used a Yaqi boar brush for the first time today, and it was about as rough as you'd think rubbing your face on a wild boar would be. I guess they break in after a while. Also it shed 8 hairs (I counted).

I used some of the last rim-scrapings of my Mike's lime, and my wonderful new Iwasaki tamahagane kamisori, the one that knocked me out of the June GRUME. It is perfect in every way, but it is 60mm, and my preferences run toward smaller sizes. I love it, but a very used-up 45mm version of the same razor is still my favorite of all time. I sure wouldn't mind a newer, less-used one of those.

I sold a razor on the forum for the first time, the Max Sprecher I mentioned here as being beautiful, and a great shaver, but not having my preferred (more acute) angle.

While innocently browsing another, not-razor forum, I saw an listing of a razor for sale that, translated to my reference point, read like this:

"Iwasaki tamahagane kamisori, in your absolute favorite size, with much much less hone wear than the one you have, for a remarkably low price that just happens to be what you cleared from selling your Max Sprecher."

I am not made of stone. The universe spoke, and I listened.

I'm out. Hope to see you in September.

A week in and no urges. Although I won't buy another Tabac puck, it is sad to see the tallow version go. It performs like no other hard soap I have tried. Who knows, maybe after I use existing stock, I'll try the new formulation. The scent may be more appealing to me than the original.

Arko August Shave

RazoRock Lupo 95
Shark Super Chrome
Arko
SOC Boar in Cherry
Witch Hazel

IMG_20210808_115459.jpg

I'm getting great shaves from the RazoRock stable and I'm happy with each and every one of them.

Lather quality is improving but I'm still more comfortable with the Synthetic brushes than the natural brushes.

Hopefully using the boars continously for a month may improve my skills with them.

Decem'boar' is also something that I'm looking forward to for the same reason.

Top Bottom