What's new

Attention Lamy guys!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
You guys probably saw my post in the "2021 Acquisitions" thread, but my 2000 finally arrived after its extended voyage from the UK. Wow, I am dually impressed with the design. The makrolon is very pleasant to hold and I love with how well the piston knob is integrated into the body. I also like how the ink window provide just a splash of color, depending on the ink of course. You don't get that affect from Pelikan's tinted ink windows. I've got to get on the "family photo".

I wish more pens (in more styles) came with the same warm, textured finish of the 2000. The closest that I can see out there is some brushed ebonite pens, but I've not got one to compare.

Even if you don't find the design to your taste, you have to admire the quality of construction. As Lamy's "flagship" I can't believe how little they charge for it when compared with other brands.

tankerjohn

I wish more pens (in more styles) came with the same warm, textured finish of the 2000. The closest that I can see out there is some brushed ebonite pens, but I've not got one to compare.

I was thinking that exact same thing! That brushed Makrolon with seamless filling knob would look awesome with a traditional open nib. I'm surprised nobody has made a pen like that. Maybe that's my $Million Kickstarter idea! :idea:

Even if you don't find the design to your taste, you have to admire the quality of construction. As Lamy's "flagship" I can't believe how little they charge for it when compared with other brands.

Well, first off Lamy did figure out they can charge a LOT for the special edition 2000's. So there's that. But that aside, the 2000 has R&D and machining that was paid for decades ago, relatively inexpensive materials in Makrolon and steel, and a very small gold nib. Its its not exactly the most costly thing to produce. They could probably still charge double the current price for it if they wanted.

Well, first off Lamy did figure out they can charge a LOT for the special edition 2000's. So there's that. But that aside, the 2000 has R&D and machining that was paid for decades ago, relatively inexpensive materials in Makrolon and steel, and a very small gold nib. Its its not exactly the most costly thing to produce. They could probably still charge double the current price for it if they wanted.
Yes, I've observed Lamy's addition of the 2000 to the "colour of the year" special editions with exasperation. There's too much of this sort of thing anyway and I struggle to think of a pen more demeaned by this treatment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Lamy make a decent enough margin on the 2000. But comparing prices on cult pens, a standard M1000 costs £460, a Montblanc 149 costs £720. Even a cleo skribent aura costs £198 in black, and I don't even think that's their flagship. And yet the 2000 can be had for £149. I just find it mind-boggling.

tankerjohn

I hear you. I’m not as emotionally invested in the 2000 yet. But I can appreciate what it means to people and that it used to represent the antithesis of the trend-chasing FOMO mentality.

Top Bottom