What's new

Attention Lamy guys!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Update: Looks like no more US code. 15% off for Lamy stuff is still really good.

15% the new Parker 51, plus free bottle of ink? Hmmmmm. Good graduation gift there. I don't think that ships to the US free, though.

Update: Looks like no more US code. 15% off for Lamy stuff is still really good.

15% the new Parker 51, plus free bottle of ink? Hmmmmm. Good graduation gift there. I don't think that ships to the US free, though.
Several reviewers have been disappointed in the new Parker 51, saying it just doesn't feel like it was made well, and seemed more of a nostalgia cash grab. I haven't gone looking for all the reviews to see any counterpoint ones, to be fair. So, just something to perhaps dig into before buying one.

tankerjohn

Several reviewers have been disappointed in the new Parker 51, saying it just doesn't feel like it was made well, and seemed more of a nostalgia cash grab. I haven't gone looking for all the reviews to see any counterpoint ones, to be fair. So, just something to perhaps dig into before buying one.
I’ve read a bunch of reviews of the new one. From what I can tell, most of the negative views come from comparing it to the old one. It’s not a luxury pen built to the same quality level as the vintage 51. In fact, it’s more of a new 21 than 51, but I guess branding is branding. Of course, Parker 51 purists don’t like the screw on cap or piston converter. And other fountain pen aficionados don’t like that the SS nib is the same nib on the Vector and Jotter, much less expensive pens. However, despite all that, its made in France, not China, the build quality is comparable to other pens in the price point, the nib writes well straight out of the box, and the converter conforms to modern norms. That is to say, I think it would be fine for someone new to fountain pens, such as a new graduate, who doesn’t have preconceived expectations. As a gift, it’s a little different than the standard issue shiny Cross. I wouldn’t buy one full price, but maybe on a deep discount.

Here’s a couple reviews from a modern pen enthusiast perspective:

It’s not a luxury pen built to the same quality level as the vintage 51. In fact, it’s more of a new 21 than 51, but I guess branding is branding.

As a gift, it’s a little different than the standard issue shiny Cross. I wouldn’t buy one full price, but maybe on a deep discount.

I would say those two points sum up the couple reviews I had already checked out. It was mainly a criticism of it's price point vs the build quality and features. I'd grab one if I hit a deal where it was $30 or so off (or better).

I am really enjoying the 2k I picked up with the broad nib on it. Writing with it for a bit, it feels a lot nicer in the hand than it did when I just held one for half a minute at a pen show.

tankerjohn

I am really enjoying the 2k I picked up with the broad nib on it. Writing with it for a bit, it feels a lot nicer in the hand than it did when I just held one for half a minute at a pen show.
Good to know. I ordered a broad too. I am eager to see what this stubby German broad nib stuff is all about.

I love my Lamy 2000 with a broad nib. I have no issues finding the "sweet spot" to write, but I've been using fountain pens on a regular basis for almost 40 years.
20210326_024131.jpg

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

I'll be interested to see what you think of the 2k: I know you've resisted getting one for a while because it isn't your style.
LOL! Yes, you’re right on. Was I very outspoken in my dislike for Bauhaus style? I get a little cared away from time to time. The 2000's design is not my favorite, but its not bad. I mean, the styling is very "vanilla ice cream". The tapered flattop shape and silver/steel furniture has a broad appeal and works for me too. I like black. But compared to, say, a Pelikan, the better executed Montblancs, or even some classic Japanese pens, it doesn't stir my soul. But I guess I have to admit I like it better than plenty of other brands that are a little more "out there" like Faber-Castell, and I certainly like it better than most demonstrators. Plus, I have to admit that although I'm not a big Bauhaus fan, I do appreciate the pedigree and that it fits coherently in a design philosophy beyond just the pen itself. I think that's neat, and I wish there were more successful examples of that sort of thing. The Eversharp Skyline, designed by Henry Dreyfuss, comes to mind, but not much else.

Then there's the issue of the hooded nib. I have softened my opinion on that. Maybe because I have a few nice pens now, if I want the "gee, look at the big glorious nib on that pen!" vibe, its covered. Box checked. Again, I don't love the look of the hooded nib, but I do appreciate that it has practical advantages.

I do like that its a piston-filler. I'm not an absolutist on filling systems, but there is something satisfying about integrated filling systems that C-C pens just don't have. A little like a mechanical watch, I suppose. There's no practical advantage per se and nobody looking at it would know the difference, but it just feels better in some unquantifiable way.

Lastly, as I acquire new pens, I really have gravitated towards the quality of the writing experience over the pure esthetics of a pen. Of course, ideally a great pen has both. But I guess I'm more into the writing aspect of the fountain pen hobby over the collecting aspect, so that's where I want to put my effort now. The 2000's broad nib sounds like its right up my alley - springy and stubby with lots of character. The value is undeniable. I believe the only other gold-nib, piston-filling pen on the market that can be reliably sourced for less than $200 is this and the Pilot Custom Heritage 92. So, yeah, I'm pretty excited to try it out and see for myself if its as great as everyone says.

LOL! Yes, you’re right on. Was I very outspoken in my dislike for Bauhaus style? I get a little cared away from time to time. The 2000's design is not my favorite, but its not bad. I mean, the styling is very "vanilla ice cream". The tapered flattop shape and silver/steel furniture has a broad appeal and works for me too. I like black. But compared to, say, a Pelikan, the better executed Montblancs, or even some classic Japanese pens, it doesn't stir my soul. But I guess I have to admit I like it better than plenty of other brands that are a little more "out there" like Faber-Castell, and I certainly like it better than most demonstrators. Plus, I have to admit that although I'm not a big Bauhaus fan, I do appreciate the pedigree and that it fits coherently in a design philosophy beyond just the pen itself. I think that's neat, and I wish there were more successful examples of that sort of thing. The Eversharp Skyline, designed by Henry Dreyfuss, comes to mind, but not much else.

Then there's the issue of the hooded nib. I have softened my opinion on that. Maybe because I have a few nice pens now, if I want the "gee, look at the big glorious nib on that pen!" vibe, its covered. Box checked. Again, I don't love the look of the hooded nib, but I do appreciate that it has practical advantages.

I do like that its a piston-filler. I'm not an absolutist on filling systems, but there is something satisfying about integrated filling systems that C-C pens just don't have. A little like a mechanical watch, I suppose. There's no practical advantage per se and nobody looking at it would know the difference, but it just feels better in some unquantifiable way.

Lastly, as I acquire new pens, I really have gravitated towards the quality of the writing experience over the pure esthetics of a pen. Of course, ideally a great pen has both. But I guess I'm more into the writing aspect of the fountain pen hobby over the collecting aspect, so that's where I want to put my effort now. The 2000's broad nib sounds like its right up my alley - springy and stubby with lots of character. The value is undeniable. I believe the only other gold-nib, piston-filling pen on the market that can be reliably sourced for less than $200 is this and the Pilot Custom Heritage 92. So, yeah, I'm pretty excited to try it out and see for myself if its as great as everyone says.

Not especially outspoken, I've just always noted it and respected your stance. I think it takes something to say "no, I don't want to own that" when it is so ubiquitous and so hyped. That said, it feels like the 2k is one of the "standard candles" of the pen world, so if (once?) you break into this price point it feels inevitable that you will end up getting one eventually. The Pelikan M200 is kind of that for me - I'm not that impressed by the styling, but I almost feel I need it as a comparison point. The Lamy is the first >£100 pen I owned and I learned a lot about what makes a fountain pen suitable for me from it. Plus, my experience has been that Lamy stand behind their product.

I have a similar opinion to you about hooded nibs and integrated filling systems.

tankerjohn

Not especially outspoken, I've just always noted it and respected your stance. I think it takes something to say "no, I don't want to own that" when it is so ubiquitous and so hyped. That said, it feels like the 2k is one of the "standard candles" of the pen world, so if (once?) you break into this price point it feels inevitable that you will end up getting one eventually. The Pelikan M200 is kind of that for me - I'm not that impressed by the styling, but I almost feel I need it as a comparison point. The Lamy is the first >£100 pen I owned and I learned a lot about what makes a fountain pen suitable for me from it. Plus, my experience has been that Lamy stand behind their product.

I have a similar opinion to you about hooded nibs and integrated filling systems.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I really love my M200s. They really are my style. So classy and I can't get enough of that pelican beak clip. I guess I'm sort of fuddy-duddy like that. To me the M200 is a perfect shirt pocket pen and really handy for notes and whatnot, but rather small to be comfortable for long writing sessions. Its a like a field shotgun - carry a lot, shoot a little. The Pilot 912 I just got was my first pen to break the three figure mark. The 2000 is the second, so I guess you're on to something about breaking into the pricepoint.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I do like that its a piston-filler. ... There's no practical advantage per se ...

Allow me to humbly disagree.

The piston does offer a practical advantage over the c/c pens, in terms of ink capacity. As someone who has, on occasion, basically spent all day taking notes with my pen, it is a definite advantage to have that capacity ... to have the ability to write all day and not run out of ink or even worry about running out of ink.

True, for some this will not be a practical consideration as their writing habits will be more of a brief note here, a couple minutes there, another brief note, maybe a shopping list, and done for the day. And some days that's me, too. But for those days when it's constant writing (or for those days when I'm travelling for work and not particularly keen on hauling a bunch of ink bottles with me) ... and for those who want to do their ink filling once in a blue moon rather than every night ... the piston has definite advantages.

(One disadvantage, though, that nobody seems to mention much ... if the piston needs repairs, you pretty much need to hope to find a qualified repairman online and then go to the expense of shipping and paying the dude to fix it. If the converter wears out ... you pop in another one for $5 and it takes 30 seconds.)

tankerjohn

Allow me to humbly disagree.

The piston does offer a practical advantage over the c/c pens, in terms of ink capacity. As someone who has, on occasion, basically spent all day taking notes with my pen, it is a definite advantage to have that capacity ... to have the ability to write all day and not run out of ink or even worry about running out of ink.

True, for some this will not be a practical consideration as their writing habits will be more of a brief note here, a couple minutes there, another brief note, maybe a shopping list, and done for the day. And some days that's me, too. But for those days when it's constant writing (or for those days when I'm travelling for work and not particularly keen on hauling a bunch of ink bottles with me) ... and for those who want to do their ink filling once in a blue moon rather than every night ... the piston has definite advantages.

(One disadvantage, though, that nobody seems to mention much ... if the piston needs repairs, you pretty much need to hope to find a qualified repairman online and then go to the expense of shipping and paying the dude to fix it. If the converter wears out ... you pop in another one for $5 and it takes 30 seconds.)
Thank you sir. You are correct, and it had actually crossed my mind. I have yet to drain a converter in one day, so I guess I fall into your second category. Travelling can go either way. Certainly large ink capacity is nice, but its also not terribly troublesome to carry extra cartridges. But nevertheless, I concede to you that if someone needs a large ink capacity for any reason, piston is the way to go. Or better yet, vac. Or even better, eyedropper.

The disposability of a converter is why it just feels less special than an integrated system, I suppose. Too practical, in a sense. Too replaceable. Filling a converter is just a necessary chore, even the piston-type. You have to take apart the pen. Carefully hold the section so as not to disconnect the converter. Twist the little nob. Very clinical. No romance. No sense of gadgetry. Inking an integrated piston-filler, on the other hand, is a time-honored ritual. That's how it feels to me. It requires no disassembly or finessed hold - just dunk the feed, turn the nob, and wipe the nib. Its oddly fun and matches the whimsey of writing with an old fashioned pen in the first place. It kinda sounds dumb as I write this. I guess its something one just has to feel. Again, the difference between changing a watch battery and winding a mechanical watch. They ostensibly accomplish the same thing of recharging the watch, but one is just matter of fact and the other deeply satisfying.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate that. I really love my M200s. They really are my style. So classy and I can't get enough of that pelican beak clip. I guess I'm sort of fuddy-duddy like that. To me the M200 is a perfect shirt pocket pen and really handy for notes and whatnot, but rather small to be comfortable for long writing sessions. Its a like a field shotgun - carry a lot, shoot a little. The Pilot 912 I just got was my first pen to break the three figure mark. The 2000 is the second, so I guess you're on to something about breaking into the pricepoint.

The clip is one of the bits of the design that I'm least keen on, so I think it is very much a case of different tastes.

I've not written with the Pelikan for a an extended session, but I imagine that it is fairly comfortable - it is certainly lightweight enough to avoid wrist fatigue. After all, most pens were that size when people really wrote for a living! My 912 is the most expensive pen I own, another on the "you will probably end up buying one at some point due to how much it gets mentioned" list - although it has competition from the 92 and 823.

Here are my three together:
20210525_185224.jpg

tankerjohn

The clip is one of the bits of the design that I'm least keen on, so I think it is very much a case of different tastes.

I've not written with the Pelikan for a an extended session, but I imagine that it is fairly comfortable - it is certainly lightweight enough to avoid wrist fatigue. After all, most pens were that size when people really wrote for a living! My 912 is the most expensive pen I own, another on the "you will probably end up buying one at some point due to how much it gets mentioned" list - although it has competition from the 92 and 823.

Here are my three together:
View attachment 1271915
Glorious! Well, I'll have to post my own version of the "family picture" there when my 2000 finishes its flight across the ocean. I have so many thoughts on the 912 now that I have one. I really need to post a proper review. I would tend to agree that everyone should own one, but I think it gets passed over by most when they get to that $200ish pricepoint (in Western fountain pendom, anyway) since it doesn't have sexy colorful acrylic or a cool filling system.

Glorious! Well, I'll have to post my own version of the "family picture" there when my 2000 finishes its flight across the ocean. I have so many thoughts on the 912 now that I have one. I really need to post a proper review. I would tend to agree that everyone should own one, but I think it gets passed over by most when they get to that $200ish pricepoint (in Western fountain pendom, anyway) since it doesn't have sexy colorful acrylic or a cool filling system.

I'll look out for the picture. And if you do a review of your experience with the 912, I'll finally get round to doing mine!

Top Bottom