What's new

¡ATG All the Time!

A relaxing 8day. Afternoon face & Head shave. I’m going to shoot for the Saturday 7day. My locked four hombres continue to deliver brilliantly. I continue to explore their limits. Exclusively ATG Strokes.

IMG_0388.jpeg

Happy Shaves

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Lurv it when a positive feedback loop gets established.

Developing a thinner lather let me use a lighter touch.

Using a lighter touch let me find an optimal-to-me angle.

Using an optimal-to-me angle lets me shave closer with less irritation (and that was with a sunburn).

Been trying out different lathering methods and blade angles that have resulted in needing more touch ups than usual. Today I’m going to start 1 week of shaving with my best lather, back to my old blade angle, and will try to incorporate better technique that I’ve learned over the past week. My goal will be to achieve as close to BBS as possible while shaving daily with a single ATG pass.

Been trying out different lathering methods and blade angles that have resulted in needing more touch ups than usual. Today I’m going to start 1 week of shaving with my best lather, back to my old blade angle, and will try to incorporate better technique that I’ve learned over the past week. My goal will be to achieve as close to BBS as possible while shaving daily with a single ATG pass.
Don’t forget to nourish your skin. The closer you shave the more skin you remove. My skin a little older than yours, will not tolerate more than a weekly shave. My whiskers from this Saturday’s shave have just broken skin late afternoon. You will find many who can shave ultra close do not. They don’t have enough whiskers to shave comfortably for a day or two. Comfort is your main objective.

thombrogan

Tried the technique mentioned in this thread and I think it’s a keeper. My “close enough, but nowhere near BBS” finish lasted over 24 hours.

thombrogan

Stopped using the technique in the aforementioned thread as the first several shaves felt good and then it was cumulative bouts of everything I did wrong.

Moved back to chasing the popping sensation that occurs when the edge barely catches the whiskers and passes through. Gentler to the skin and fun to do.

Stopped using the technique in the aforementioned thread as the first several shaves felt good and then it was cumulative bouts of everything I did wrong.

Moved back to chasing the popping sensation that occurs when the edge barely catches the whiskers and passes through. Gentler to the skin and fun to do.
Thom King Gillette is rolling in his grave. His short quick strokes beckon you. The Indian Foreskin Fold sounded a little complicated. :straight:

thombrogan

Turned out to be Moroccan. I just lack even more finesse with that manner than I do with trying to go light.

Oddly, my Gillette Tech would probably work well with that technique. But I’m too enamored with the popping sensation and lack of irritation to reinvestigate for now.

Also, if you read up on KC Gillette’s conduct towards his investors during the merger with AutoStrop, a little grave rolling is good for him.

thombrogan

@Bobovata , I believe John was poetically describing the aforementioned, mythical barber’s practice of bunching up the skin on his clients’ necks and faces to get stubble to protrude as opposed to using skin stretching.

For people shaving themselves; usually with a safety razor; letting one’s skin go slack - like in bullfrogging - can get whiskers to push higher through the skin than usual (especially going against the grain). Lots of people can do this with irritation-free results and I can do it with mixed results.

@Bobovata , I believe John was poetically describing the aforementioned, mythical barber’s practice of bunching up the skin on his clients’ necks and faces to get stubble to protrude as opposed to using skin stretching.

For people shaving themselves; usually with a safety razor; letting one’s skin go slack - like in bullfrogging - can get whiskers to push higher through the skin than usual (especially going against the grain). Lots of people can do this with irritation-free results and I can do it with mixed results.
Thank you Thom. I could not get my head around around explaining the dynamics of the stroke. Too complicated for me. J-Hooks & Slides are my limit for wild strokes. The bincky and skin flattening continue to dominate my turkey-neck-skin challenges. Stubborn little hair stands encounter Hooks & Slides with extreme malice. Of course a gentle hand and invisible touch engaged.

thombrogan

High Efficiency June

Tonight’s opulent and stupendous shave
Schick E3 Injector
Personna Injector (2)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Titanium UHD 28mm synthetic brush 71/100
Pre-shave: no
Lather: Wickham’s 1912 Club Cola, bowl-loaded/face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

This was the type of shave with an Injector razor I’ve always wanted to have. The type that will be posted in four or five threads. The type I could’ve had right out of the gates if I only followed Jim’s lead when he told me of his nigh-identical issues and easy-peasy lemon-squeezy solution.

I placed the razor’s safety bar on my face instead of the cap and I shaved.

I felt the fins of the brass safety bar strum my stubble as I shaved steep ATG, but didn’t feel the blade. It was so easy and wonderfully mindless. So gentle it was mental

thombrogan

That Injector let me have that one, majestic shave and then reality came calling for the next few.

Since then, using a RazoRock Game Changer JAWS 0.84 DE razor and went from using a lather that was barely any soap and all the water to one that’s all the soap and all the water. During the shave, it feels the same, but the all the soap and all the water lather makes my skin feel more comfortable between shaves.

If* I get done playing with the JAWS razor and try the Injector again, it will be one of those lathers that threatens to overfill the bathroom and neighborhood with extremely damp and creamy suds.

* = an “if” because that would mean using a razor that doesn’t have cute Wallace and Gromit teeth. Despite the Schick E3 being the cutest razor in my toy box, it does not make me think it enjoys a good Wensleydale as much as me.

I do multiple passes against the grain. but start with the grain using gillette slide and normal soap consistency I follow with across the and then against the grain. This is basically a typical 3 pass shave. Then however I add lots of water to my brush and slop on the lather till it is thin and runny. I then perform long sweeping quick passes across the grain and against the grain with very very light pressure. Finish with cold water rinse and aftershave of choice. The shave results are the same everyday. I dont even rate my shaves anymore because they are always the same. Great!!!

That Injector let me have that one, majestic shave and then reality came calling for the next few.

Since then, using a RazoRock Game Changer JAWS 0.84 DE razor and went from using a lather that was barely any soap and all the water to one that’s all the soap and all the water. During the shave, it feels the same, but the all the soap and all the water lather makes my skin feel more comfortable between shaves.

If* I get done playing with the JAWS razor and try the Injector again, it will be one of those lathers that threatens to overfill the bathroom and neighborhood with extremely damp and creamy suds.

* = an “if” because that would mean using a razor that doesn’t have cute Wallace and Gromit teeth. Despite the Schick E3 being the cutest razor in my toy box, it does not make me think it enjoys a good Wensleydale as much as me.
Wensleydale
There you go again Thom. Making me look up words. “Wensleydale”, are you referring to the River or the cheese?I’ve never spotted Wensleydale cheese. My wife brought a wedge of Stilton home the other day. A big treat for me🧀

thombrogan

Wensleydale the cheese. Imagine a softer, creamier version of white Stilton. My favorite is cranberry Wensleydale followed by cranberry white Stilton.

And I like a slick, runny, utterly inedible lather and all-ATG shaving even more of course

Wensleydale the cheese. Imagine a softer, creamier version of white Stilton. My favorite is cranberry Wensleydale followed by cranberry white Stilton.

And I like a slick, runny, utterly inedible lather and all-ATG shaving even more of course
I’ve had the Stilton and mango, very nice. I’ll have to see if Wensleydale is available in our hood. Our closest town is just under 5,000 pop. Fewer smaller stores and the specialty shops are limited.

I like a slick creamy low foam for face and medium foam for head. Slick being imperative.

I think more of this when it comes to jaws
jaws GIF by Challenger

Top Bottom