What's new

¡ATG All the Time!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Persisted and got better with the Schick E3. The secret is not overthinking it.

The problem is overthinking is my jam, baby!

thombrogan

Moved on to a Blackland Blackbird razor for my all-ATG enjoyment. Somewhere between shallow and neutral, it gives an intense shave. Also noticed it notices poor prep. Will be holding a wet washcloth against my whiskers before shaving as a minimum from now on.

A warm shower with glycerine soap, then a two pass ATG cold water shave with touch ups.
First pass no pressure or stretching. Second pass light pressure and stretching, followed by cold water (no soap) touch ups.

Merkur Slant 37c
Feather (3)
Kent BK4 Silvertip
Tabac (tallow) Soap
Tabac Aftershave.

Attachments

• IMG_5806 2.jpg
    IMG_5806 2.jpg
    936.9 KB · Views: 3

thombrogan

@Ankerwycke , aside from the changes imposed by stretching skin and intentionally adding pressure, do you otherwise use the same angle?

I've been shaving exclusively ATG since 1975. Shaving WTG on my cheeks just puts sharp tips on my beard hairs and the grow under the skin.

Never had an issue, shaved in the shower with out soap from 1976 or so until 2016 when I took up double edge razors and a brush. Only shaved under my chin most of those years, until 2003 when I had to shave off the beard, down to a just hair on the upper lip now.

thombrogan

NOCvember

Last night’s stupendous shave
RazoRock “German” 37
Shark Platinum (2)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: shea butter oil several hours earlier then Al’s new (old) lathering method
Lather: Wickham’s 1912 Club Cola bowl-loaded, face-lathered
Post shave warm shower
Post shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

Used a neutral angle and resisted the weight of the razor as it did its gentle, ATG cleaning spree. Added a skosh of pressure towards its cap getting a few stragglers. Reminded of the smoovness of this pairing.

thombrogan

The “on the blade” angle worked much better with my razor holding a GEM blade. Smoother and more whisker hungry. My brain likes shaving with it flat against my face, my skin likes the barest hint of safety bar and blade (it uses the side of the blade as a cap), and my whiskers were terrified either way. Thank you, @Ankerwycke !

The “on the blade” angle worked much better with my razor holding a GEM blade. Smoother and more whisker hungry. My brain likes shaving with it flat against my face, my skin likes the barest hint of safety bar and blade (it uses the side of the blade as a cap), and my whiskers were terrified either way. Thank you, @Ankerwycke !
Glad it made sense 🙂 It’s the way I learnt to shave, and the way I’ve always shaved. I’d never heard of steep and shallow angles until I joined B&B.

Have been experimenting this week with ATG only shaves. This was a no no with my vintage gillettes….do able but triggered more irritation than the usual WTG first then ATG second pass.
However with the Ti Henson+++ this method has elicited some truly top grade shaves.
Prep is crucial……best so far has been Somerset’s glide oil as a pre treatment and La Toja stick soap, face lathered .
2 ATG passes with the Henson and a Personna med prep blade was one of the closest shaves I’ve ever had. Over 12 hours later and still feeling smooth.
IMG_6058.jpeg

thombrogan

I think my “ability” to shave with minimal prep this year was due to an abnormally humid Spring through mid-Autumn. Post-shower shave was leaps above the preceding shaves. Expecting the next one to be leaps and bounds above the previous ones.

Also found I prefer a heavier razor. The Travel Raptor by @SlimGem is 13.6g with a blade and either the lower angle or the higher weight make it smoother than the 12.2g Triceratops razor he designed (bittersweet observation as the Triceratops is my “someday…” razor — it’s like a Grail, but cooler).

thombrogan

New (old) realization: chasing that popping sensation is most easily done by shaving “on the blade.”

That phrase is refocusing my neurons in a seemingly helpful way. :punk:

thombrogan

I thought my lathering was adequate, but a little improvement made a pleasant difference. And it was with VDH Deluxe of all things. So much more comfort.

thombrogan

Back to showering before shaving and the positive improvement is dramatic. The temptation to pretend I’m sensible and move to a single blade format is refreshingly strong, too. Oh, so is the anxiety. But the whiskers melt away easier!

Top Bottom