What's new

Astra SP Question

Hello fellow shavers!
I have a simple question about the Astra SP blades. What’s the longevity like, how many good shaves can you get before they get dull? For me I need at least 6 decent comfortable shaves from a blade to make it worth buying again. I’ve seen them for sale thru Amazon Prime at 300 for 27 dollars. That sure is an awesome price. Please give me feedback on this! Thanks.

I regularly get around 30 before I have to replace a blade. But everyone is different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The longevity is excellent, in my experience. :thumbup:
I just put an Astra SP blade on sabbatical, as it were, after 75 shaves. It seemed to level off (in terms of reduced sharpness) at about, I dunno, maybe 6 or 10 or so shaves, and after that it was really smooth. I thought I'd push it to 20 (instead of my usual 12 then toss it), and it did not get worse, so I continued. After 12 I did not get any nicks or weepers (unless I did something really stupid) or razor burn, and still got at least a close comfortable shave every time. I did have to give a few extra touch-up passes in some problem areas, but so what? I'm in no rush.

I recently got a couple of vintage razors and wanted to try them out on new blades for a change, because all of them feel about the same with the well-used Astra. Hardly a fair comparison (of the razors). I loaded a new Derby tonight, and got a weeper and the aftershave sting was somewhat worse than with the old Astra.

At any rate, Astra SP is the only type I ever felt like getting 100-pack of, after trying out about 5 other types/brands from a sampler set (Feather, Derby, Astra SS, Wilkinson Sword, Gillette Silver Blue).

Later on I will put the 75-shave Astra SP back into service, and try for 100 shaves.

They are top two with my Personna Reds. Both of those blades will last as long as I feel like keeping them in the razor. Maybe the Personna blades last me a little longer but not by much. I saw that Amazon deal. I’m tempted to take advantage of that deal myself.

They are an excellent blade. I most recently got 12 shaves and the blade was still going strong. I changed to a new blade when I started trying out a new razor.

Astra SP are my main workhorse for blades. I get just over 15 shaves per blade on average, no stropping or anything.

Subjective answer but the blade seem to work well for many. I get 14+ shaves out of an Astra SP and I would say the Astra SS is not far behind.

Astra SP are top notch blades for me! I typically get 7 three-pass shaves and can often get a few more.

"How many shaves" is difficult to answer. Depends on your beard type, beard preparation, and shaving technique. I've had no complaint about the longlivity of this blade and they are quite inexpensive. Really though I wouldnt buy more than 100 at a time. That should last a good 18-24 months or longer..

I don’t think you’ll know until you try them yourself as everyone is different. Might be worth investing in a five blade sample pack if you are interested in Astras. As noted above, members generally favor Astras and report good longevity.

Thank you so much for the responses fellow shavers. It appears that these blades have good longevity. I may be purchasing some very soon.

You can always purchase a tuck or a single blade to try. That would be my suggestion before you commit to a larger quantity.

I’d be happy to mail you out a tuck at no charge if you’d like to try them out without having to over spend for a small quantity. Just send me a PM with your mailing address and I can send them out to you.

And FYI, today on Amazon prime you can get 300 for $25.24. I’m tempted to stock up at that price!

Top Bottom