What's new

As a Chinese, this is what I know about badgers

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
minor cold:
proxy.php
Awesome post... I just learned something cool and got 'schooled'.
proxy.php

Welcome my friend to the B & B and please forget to tell us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame (HOF), Forum. :thumbsup:

shaving-1-jpg.782567
"[For] many people, [shaving] is not [simply a] voyage of discovery, but a ritual of reassurance". Philip Andrew Adams

Last edited:
I've said this before, but this is what I love about B&B. Questions are discussed and then someone with real world experience chimes in with intelligent answers. I've learned about metal working and plating, how knots are tied, and now the badger business. Thank you so much. When using a Google search for information, one quite often gets a plethora of contradictory answers from dubious authority. I feel so much safer trusting my friends here.

I found this to be one of the most fascinating posts I've read on this forum in quite a while and I hope I haven't missed anything and now have a poor or misguided reaction.

My father grew up in an extremely rural situation during and after WWII in Mississippi. They weren't poor (no shame, if they were, but they weren't), but they had to farm and harvest both vegetables and animals to survive. Being thorough in all aspects is what got ya though the winters and/or maybe possible droughts...making soap right?

I've always felt if we are going to farm an animal, we owe it to the animal to be thorough..to use it all. I am ok with all alternatives to animals, but what's the breakdown rate of natural fibers (fur/hair) vs. sythetic fiber? And When it breakdown, what's left behind?

Sorry, I'm rambling, but I truly appreciate the original poster's post and interaction, I'm off on a tangent.

AL

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Welcome to B&B.
I'm from Taiwan and it's a pleasure to meet you on the other side of the online world.
Mutual respect and free dialogue are truly realized here.

Although I mainly use synthetic fiber brush.
But the information you provide is exactly what people need to know, full of information.

Very interesting post. I have nothing to add specifically regarding Badgers, but the farming of hog bristles are not dissimilar.
China has been, as it still is, a major source of hog bristles for a long long time. Both for shaving brushes and paint brushes. To the point that in English hog bristles (mostly regarding paint brushes) were referred to as "China bristle" or "Chungking bristle"
An interesting historical point regarding the export of bristles is Operation Hog Bristle. In post world war 2 Australia there was a shortage of bristles needed for paint brushes for new housing. The RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) was tasked with transporting 25 Tonnes of hog bristles by plane from Chungking (As it was then romanised) to Hong Kong. The RAAF was needed for this task as Chunking was then the provisional capital of the Nationalist government but was cut off by Communist forces.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome to the forum, we're glade you're here.

I took two years of French in high school. I've been working with an online language program for the past year in preparation for a trip to France in May. Your English is ten times better than my French. Your English is excellent.

Thanks for your post, as my favorite brushes are badgers.

Welcome to the forum and this was a very interesting thread to read. I've traveled in mainland China, Hong Kong and Japan and found the people there to all be kind and very engaging ...

Top Bottom