What's new

As a Chinese, this is what I know about badgers

Hey, guys.I am a member from China.My English is not very good and I am not familiar with the rules of forum usage This is my first time posting. I hope there are not too many language problems.
I love shaving brushes especially synthetic and badger.

Here I can help you understand what I know about badgers in China.Badgers are now protected here. Many years ago, farmers hunted them because overbreeding badgers destroyed crops and affected harvests. Today's badger hair comes from artificially bred badgers. Badgers are farmed like cattle, sheep and pigs.Badgers aren't killed entirely for food or badger hair. Badger hair is just an economically valuable byproduct, more for badger fat. Badger fat is used in medicines and high-end cosmetics. Stop Using Badger Hair Brushes won't stop badgers being killed. As for whether anyone eats it, the answer is yes, but very little. It is legal to eat farmed badgers. Hunting and eating wild badgers is illegal and inhumane. There are very few illegal hunters who hunt badgers secretly. The cost of law enforcement is so high that it is hard to stop. I am sad about this.I also watched the Animal Protection Organization's report on Chinese badgers in 2018. The video was edited and dubbed. The truth is not the case, captive badgers are not treated and killed in a very inhumane manner. The badgers killed in the video are poached and sold by illegal hunters. The reason is that the badger brush factory in the front of the video is from northern China and the back is from southern China, a difference of thousands of kilometers. Not all Chinese eat badgers and are cruel to badgers. No one around me has ever eaten badger meat.

你好@minor cold,欢迎来到 Badger & Blade!这是一个友好的地方,我希望你能在这里找到感兴趣的东西。

Hello @minor cold and welcome to Badger & Blade! This is a friendly place and I hope you find things of interest here.
Thanks, it's been a little while since I've been here, but this is my first post. Before this, I often came to check the discussion that I was interested in

What do badgers eat? I thought they were mostly carnivorous. Not sure I'd be too keen on eating one. It would be like eating a fox.

(But maybe fox is tasty... What do I know, I suppose.)
Badgers are omnivorous but mainly plant-based. Farmed badgers eat a mixture of corn, soybeans and other plants and meat. The ratio varies from time to time. I'm not a professional, so I don't know exactly.Wild badgers eat almost anything.

What do badgers eat? I thought they were mostly carnivorous. Not sure I'd be too keen on eating one. It would be like eating a fox.

(But maybe fox is tasty... What do I know, I suppose.)

They are omnivores, similar to animals like weasels. They dig for worms and insects. They can eat small prey like mice, rats, etc. They will eat fruit and some plant roots. They can be destructive to crops.

Badger meat has been eaten in some places, more in the past. Probably so it did not go to waste when they were eradicated as pests. Not really the healthiest choice as it can carry parasites.

Very interesting info thanks for posting. I wonder if anyone has ever used the badger fat as a shave soap base?
I don't know about that. Badger fat in our call "獾油 huan you" the direct translation is badger oil, it is usually refined into oil for external use as medicine or in other ways pharmaceutical or high-end cosmetics. There is information that there is also a demand for badger fat in foreign countries. I think it should be used to make cosmetics

Top Bottom