What's new

Artists' Club

I still need to try the Protouch MGs. I'm really liking the Schick Proline. I used Feather Professional for past couple of years and I'm now experimenting with each blade I come across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to write something up about the MG’s but I’ll make a quick comment here first. For me the audio feedback is the loudest of the AC blades I’ve tried. Also, and this is hard to describe.....but they kinda feel like they “chatter” a bit, for a complete lack of a better description. It’s not a pull though. But here is the key: They don’t bite, nick, sting, or irritate me at all. No redness at the end. Also, I can do pass after pass and touch ups without fear of hitting spots “too” much.

There’s always been that moment with other AC blades where you feel that slight sting and you say to yourself “yep, it just got me”......Doesn’t happen to me with the MG’s.

I find that the prolines glide or cut smoother than the MG’s, but tend to be less kind to my neck in spots at the end of the shave despite how slow and careful I am. Also, with the prolines, I need to be very mindful of how much I go over a certain area.

I find them equal in their efficiency so I can deal with the MG’s slight “chattiness”, for lack of better term, all day everyday, and twice on Sunday;)....to end up with a butter smooth, irritation free shave.

Last edited:
I find them equal in their efficiency so I can deal with the MG’s slight “chattiness”, for lack of better term, all day everyday, and twice on Sunday;)....to end up with a butter smooth, irritation free shave.

Stroke for stroke, the MG will give you the same results as the Proline? For example, if it takes 4 strokes to BBS your cheeks with the Proline, does it take those same 4 strokes with the MG to BBS your cheeks?

Stroke for stroke, the MG will give you the same results as the Proline? For example, if it takes 4 strokes to BBS your cheeks with the Proline, does it take those same 4 strokes with the MG to BBS your cheeks?

Yep! For me it’s kind of like a “saturation point” or point of diminishing returns. One blade may be scientifically sharper, but in this particular application they both possess a sharpness level that is more than capable of cutting the hair on my face to the same level in the same timeframe. On another application however, say cutting a small branch of a tree, the scientifically sharper blade may win the battle...but I’ll never know;)

Last edited:
Yep!

For me it takes, at the very least, twice as many stroke with the MG than it takes with the Proline! The MG in the SE1 will sharpen my stubble and my stubble will irritate my skin growing back. Because the SE2 cuts stubble closer to the root having more blade gap and open comb, I don't have that problem, but the same resistance and struggle is there. I get the same experience with Shark and Derby DE blades.

I get the same experience with Shark and Derby DE blades.

Interesting. For me, Shark chrome blades are my second favorite DE blade. Derby is by far the worst blade on my face. I never had so many weepers and irritation with any other blade.

Interesting. For me, Shark chrome blades are my second favorite DE blade. Derby is by far the worst blade on my face. I never had so many weepers and irritation with any other blade.

I would great shaves from a Shark in my aggressive NEW SC. About 3 hours after my shave my stubble would stab my face from the inside out for about an hour. That wouldn't happen if I used a milder razor and didn't try to get a really close shave.

• ATT SE1/Schick Proline
Didn't really need to shave today, after using the SE2 yesterday, but I polished things off anyway. It didn't feel like there was a blade in the SE1, it was nice and smooth.

About 3 hours after my shave my stubble would stab my face from the inside out for about an hour.

Hi Anthony. I've heard you about this phenomenon a couple of times . . . I have had a weird experience with 2 out of my 4 shaves with the Feather Pro in the Mongoose this week. About three hours after the shave, my neck (and to a lesser extent my jawline and cheeks) started to itch. It was really pronounced on one day. Today (and on the first shave with the blade) it didn't happen at all. I was thinking it was new software, or maybe something else . . .

Does this sound like how it feels to you?

Hi Anthony. I've heard you about this phenomenon a couple of times . . . I have had a weird experience with 2 out of my 4 shaves with the Feather Pro in the Mongoose this week. About three hours after the shave, my neck (and to a lesser extent my jawline and cheeks) started to itch. It was really pronounced on one day. Today (and on the first shave with the blade) it didn't happen at all. I was thinking it was new software, or maybe something else . . .

Does this sound like how it feels to you?

Yes! My take on it is that a dull blade is not cutting my stubble clean and leaving them with pointed tips. When my stubble grows back, they stab my face from inside. Yes, it itches like crazy for about an hour or so and then stops.

Weird! I never had this happen before - and 'dull' doesn't seem to apply to a nearly-fresh Feather Pro . . . but I can't account for it any other way . . .

Maybe it was my shave angle rather than blade dullness . . . will try to pay attention and see if/when it happens again.

Weird! I never had this happen before - and 'dull' doesn't seem to apply to a nearly-fresh Feather Pro . . . but I can't account for it any other way . . .

It happens to me with a fresh Kai Mild PINK in my SE1 on the first shave! For my beard, Feather or Kai blades are not sharp at all and if it wasn't for the Schick Proline, I wouldn't be using AC razors!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It’s tempting to ask everyone’s opinion about what to try and not to try with respect to blades...I wouldn’t ask that question. I would just try them all and let your own shave/face be the one to tell you what works (and some differently in each razor). I randomly tried the Kai Protouch MG on my own. No suggestion from anyone. It’s now my favorite at the moment. It was really good in the SE1. Now it is great in the General. (For me!, which is the key). See my long post a page or two ago about the forum “mob” mentality vs. going it on your own. I grabbed multiples of every AC blade early on from “Try a blade”.

I’ve always had trouble with my neck for the most part as well. Been spending the last year and change on a razor/blade search for the smoothest and least irritating. First it was moving to the AC format from DE (with which I shaved for years), and then trying to nail the best razor blade combo in the SE1 and General. I had it narrowed down to those after removing the Hawk and Ikon MR-SE from the equation.

Now, today, I feel I had my smoothest/irritation free shave yet with the Brass General/Kai Protouch MG combo. It just worked perfectly. I like the craftsmanship of the SE1 more but it might get relegated to 2nd place for a moment until I’ve done a few more tests. It’s all about comfort and irritation free for me. Go with what works vs. what you want to work.

Maybe it’s just your skin and hair growth at the end of the day? Maybe despite what you try you’re always going to have a little irritation? I know a few people like that. I wouldn’t give up trying though. It keeps things interesting nonetheless;)...and keeps things moving in the right direction.

I'm going to make my own decisions and do what I want. I'm far too independent and hard headed for anything else, but I like to hear what other gentlemen have to say about things.

I'm finding that I like the SE2 more and more, only 4.5 shaves into its use.

In the long run I could care less about what works for anybody but me (in terms of influencing what I should do), but I also know I can learn at least a little something from others, and benefit to some degree from their experience. For instance, I will add one blade to my next order based on your review.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Happy shaves,

Jim

just today noticed this thread.
and wanted to contribute my 2c, for how much I enjoy Feather AC with Proguards!!

feather proguard-4990-Edit.jpg

I'm going to make my own decisions and do what I want. I'm far too independent and hard headed for anything else, but I like to hear what other gentlemen have to say about things.

I'm finding that I like the SE2 more and more, only 4.5 shaves into its use.

In the long run I could care less about what works for anybody but me (in terms of influencing what I should do), but I also know I can learn at least a little something from others, and benefit to some degree from their experience. For instance, I will add one blade to my next order based on your review.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Right on. I’m with you. I read everything as well. I mean, how else do we get ideas, right? Didn’t mean to sound like I was directing it at you. It was just an opportunity to voice the ongoing theme I had started a page earlier. I’m just big on YMMV in general and hope people don’t get sidetracked by others too much. That’s all. Glad the SE2 is working out better!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Right on. I’m with you. I read everything as well. I mean, how else do we get ideas, right? Didn’t mean to sound like I was directing it at you. It was just an opportunity to voice the ongoing theme I had started a page earlier. I’m just big on YMMV in general and hope people don’t get sidetracked by others too much. That’s all. Glad the SE2 is working out better!

I thought your advice was very good.

In my experience, Irregular Direction of whisker growth (ID) is more important than mere Whisker Thickness (WT) for determining how aggressive a blade/razor will work for you. My whiskers aren't particularly thick/coarse, but in several spots they do grow every which way, and these are the spots that require the most attention -- and that mild blades and razors don't work well with. So which factor drives your choice of razor and blade: ID or WT?

Definitely ID. I don't think my beard is tough - 90% of my issues are with the 10% of my beard where whiskers grow in opposite directions.

In my experience, Irregular Direction of whisker growth (ID) is more important than mere Whisker Thickness (WT) for determining how aggressive a blade/razor will work for you. My whiskers aren't particularly thick/coarse, but in several spots they do grow every which way, and these are the spots that require the most attention -- and that mild blades and razors don't work well with. So which factor drives your choice of razor and blade: ID or WT?

Basically, I rate a blades efficiency on how many strokes it takes to BBS my face and head compared to how many strokes it takes other blades. Feather and Kai blades clearly take more strokes to get the same results as Schick Proline blades for my face. Feather and Kai blades are forbidden on my head shave, no problem with Schick Proline or GEM SS PTFE, they cut through my head stubble with ease!

Top Bottom