What's new

Artists' Club

991C565A-E56F-43BF-9FD4-5F7C62BDE78B.jpeg

Great shave with the Cobra & Kai Titan Mild. I have been fortunate enough in that when it comes to blades, I haven't encountered one that has been rough or unusable to date. Are some better in smoothness and feel? Yes, but overall they have worked from average to stellar on my scale and shave experience.

I also have been lucky in that I don't suffer from ingrown hairs when I shave, especially when the shave has been extremely close. If anything, I'll feel a bit of tenderness around the cheeks and jawline on occasion, but that is gone within 3-4 hours after the shave. If I can get a 12+ shave in longevity, I can live with the trade off of very minor early discomfort for a close, smooth feeling shave that lasts through the work day and then some. Of course, not everyone will agree with my take on shave quality and end game, that's just me and I'm ok with that.

So here's the question I pose to you gents. We all agree mostly, that our blade of choice, for the most part is the AC format style regardless of brand, guarded or not. We can also agree that the AC's are arguably the sharpest blades made today.
In regards to closeness and longevity of shave compared to omfort and smoothness, which side of the fence are you on? In other words, will you chase the super close (BBS) finish and longevity at the potential/expense of some minor discomfort or, just give me a comfortable shave (DFS) as I can't deal with any type of discomfort, big or small? I ask out of curiosity because I'm a BBS chaser and with me out of every 10 shaves, I always get one or two that I get a little bit of soreness and discomfort. A trade off that I admittedly am willing to accept for the ultimate Baby Butt Smooth finish....
What say you Gents? Worth it, not worth it?

Comfort and smoothness trump efficiency and BBS every time. If you shave every day, DFS is just fine. Having said that, I can usually get to BBS on my cheeks and jawline without sacrificing comfort in any way.

Lack of irritating/comfort beats out BBS in my book. I don’t necessarily get ingrown hairs or razor bumps either, but redness will hang out for a decent amount of time (neck only) if I push it. Not a fan of that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's BBS every shave for me. Once I started getting BBS everyday, I stepped up my prep game. Face wash with Neutrogena liquid fragrance free face wash, homemade preshave oil, super lather, Adidas Dynamic Pulse AS, and finish things off with Nivea maximum hydration post shave balm. At most, the sting from the Adidas AS changes from shave to shave, other than that, no issues at all.

Lack of irritating/comfort beats out BBS in my book. I don’t necessarily get ingrown hairs or razor bumps either, but redness will hang out for a decent amount of time (neck only) if I push it. Not a fan of that happening.

I will add though since matching the Kai Protouch MG with the General it’s been BBS AND no irritation/redness. I think I finally found my “go-to” razor/blade combo. Well, until the next best thing seduces me;) Ha.

Never really been a brush guy. Cheap synthetics do what they need to do. Put the soap on my face.

Now I just focus on my AS balms and Soaps.

It's BBS every shave for me. Once I started getting BBS everyday, I stepped up my prep game. Face wash with Neutrogena liquid fragrance free face wash, homemade preshave oil, super lather, Adidas Dynamic Pulse AS, and finish things off with Nivea maximum hydration post shave balm. At most, the sting from the Adidas AS changes from shave to shave, other than that, no issues at all.

Never tried the Nivea Max. I used the sensitive AS Balm. How’s the Max compare?

Never tried the Nivea Max. I used the sensitive AS Balm. How’s the Max compare?

If I can't feel any stubble and think that I have BBS, Nivea Maximum Hydration post shave balm will instantly soften my skin and prove otherwise, at which point I will simply pick up my razor and clean up the rest without fear of cutting myself dry. It's really good, I bought it by accident and love it.

Last edited:
If I can't feel any stubble and think that I have BBS, Nivea Maximum Hydration post shave balm will instantly soften my skin and prove otherwise, at which point I will simply pick up my razor and clean up the rest without fear of cutting myself dry. It's really good, I bought it by accident and love it.

Nice! Thanks. Going in the Amazon shopping cart. I just got Dermalogica AS Balm and like it. Pretty spendy though. Need to try Baxter’s as well.

Comfort and smoothness trump efficiency and BBS every time. If you shave every day, DFS is just fine. Having said that, I can usually get to BBS on my cheeks and jawline without sacrificing comfort in any way.

Agreed. You Gents have a valid point. But, as @rabidus pointed out, face prep and the pre- shave routine is a big factor. Like I said previously, I nail my shaves 80-90% of the time BBS without a hint of irritation. But 1 or 2 out of those 10 shaves I'll catch some discomfort through fault of my own on technique, probably going one shave too many on a blade, etc. But I think that good prep, quality products pre and post shave, tied in with good technique can keep it to a bare minimum. Of course YMMV reigns supreme here. And again, I know I'm in the minority here, as comfort will trump BBS for most. Nothing wrong in that...

I consistently get irritation-free BBS ever since switching to AC blades in May 2016 (except for a 2-month learning curve for straights). Two passes with any razor plus touch-up with an AC shavette usually does it. This morning I didn't even bother with the shavette -- just did the touch-up with the Calypso SE1 (shave #12 on an AC Pro Super).

Apropos of nothing, I ran across a photo I took of my beloved Kai Captain Excelia and just had to post it. It's my go-to AC shavette.

Just yesterday I mentioned that I thought I found my razor/blade combo...and just yesterday I learned about the PAA Starling GEM razor. Never wanted a Vintage GEM and didn’t want to pay for the pricey ATT or Blackland. Just bought it. Released today. Haha. Damn new shiny stuff...

Just yesterday I mentioned that I thought I found my razor/blade combo...and just yesterday I learned about the PAA Starling GEM razor. Never wanted a Vintage GEM and didn’t want to pay for the pricey ATT or Blackland. Just bought it. Released today. Haha. Damn new shiny stuff...

Yup. I'm so weak. I succumbed also....:a52:
But for $40 and 2 plates? Who wouldn't...

Haha! Yes! By the way, what are your thoughts on that RR Behive brush? I have the Big Bruce.

The RR Beehive has been a pure pleasure to use. It lathers up some serious suds. But the soft tips really is what sold me on it. Good backbone and a pretty comfortable handle. Bowl or face, it's a joy. One knock? Maybe a wee bit springy. But that's me being picky. I saw the question before but just didn't remember in which thread. My apologies.....

Thanks! No worries. I’m def not a brush guy usually but it’s so cheap...and I was curious how much of a difference a 26mm to 28mm would be. I’ve never owned a boar or badger. I’m tempted but I really can’t complain with the Synthetic.

Can I ask a question or two?
Just learning (reading) about SE razors.
1- how does an injector work?
2- do these blade last longer than DE blades?
3- what razor do you suggest looking into for a newbie?

Top Bottom