What's new

Artists' Club

I have some Kai Captain Titan Milds lying around, and I may try one of those in the SE2 next time. If my theory about the SE2 is right, I would expect to have about as much blade-feel (a blade is a blade, after all), but less effectiveness (because Milds are less sharp than Prolines, not to put too fine a point on it ;) ).
Well, I tried a Mild in the SE2 this morning, and I was wrong. Significantly less blade-feel than a Proline or Pro Super, but the shave was quite effective -- BBS in two passes plus touch-up (using the SE2, not a shavette). I was only dealing with 24 hours' growth, so the bar was set low.

Well, I tried a Mild in the SE2 this morning, and I was wrong. Significantly less blade-feel than a Proline or Pro Super, but the shave was quite effective -- BBS in two passes plus touch-up (using the SE2, not a shavette). I was only dealing with 24 hours' growth, so the bar was set low.

Both the Kai unguarded and guarded blades feel like they are pulling my stubble and then cutting it. In the SE1, my stubble causes irritation as it grows back. The results are fine with the SE2, just the pulling feeling... No issues at all with the Proline. I could live with the Kai guarded blade more so than the unguarded blade if I had to, but only in the SE2.

• SE2/Schick Proline
Fresh Proline today, much better than with the Kai Mild PINK blade yesterday. More blade feel with the SE2, shave should last longer... No issues with the shave, it just takes a different technique. I prefer the SE1 though...

Twelve hours later and I'm literally still BBS.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have over 380 Prolines, but I'm thinking of trying some other blades from Try a Blade just to see what they're like. I've not decided to do this, but, if I decide to try other blades, do you have any suggestions concerning which blades to not even bother with? Which blades to try for sure? Comments?

My AC razors are the SE2 and the SS General. I have an SE1 baseplate (used) on the way.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have over 380 Prolines, but I'm thinking of trying some other blades from Try a Blade just to see what they're like. I've not decided to do this, but, if I decide to try other blades, do you have any suggestions concerning which blades to not even bother with? Which blades to try for sure? Comments?

My AC razors are the SE2 and the SS General. I have an SE1 baseplate (used) on the way.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Happy shaves,

Jim

PM me your address and I'll send you the rest of the Kai Mild Pink blades that I have. Not sure how many are left in the cartridge, so don't get too excited!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Twelve hours later and I'm literally still BBS.

Anthony @rabidus says, "Twelve hours later and I'm literally still BBS."

He's using the SE2/Schick Proline.

Not that I've got any significant experience with the SE2 yet, 3.5 shaves into using it, having begun on Christmas, but I've not gotten close to BBS on my neck with the razor. I will say the SE2's BBS shaves on my face seems to be longer lasting than they last with most razors, maybe any razor, so there is hope for my neck maybe.

I love hearing about how great this razor can shaves once you learn the finer points of its use.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Anthony @rabidus says, "Twelve hours later and I'm literally still BBS."

He's using the SE2/Schick Proline.

Not that I've got any significant experience with the SE2 yet, 3.5 shaves into using it, having begun on Christmas, but I've not gotten close to BBS on my neck with the razor. I will say the SE2's BBS shaves on my face seems to be longer lasting than they last with most razors, maybe any razor, so there is hope for my neck maybe.

I love hearing about how great this razor can shaves once you learn the finer points of its use.

Happy shaves,

Jim

On my neck I have to shave N-S, S-N, E-W, W-E and every other direction needed to get BBS!

On my neck I have to shave N-S, S-N, E-W, W-E and every other direction needed to get BBS!
I used to do this as well in 4 passes total. Are you lathering and shaving in each direction like I used to or are you doing multiple directions per pass?

I used to do this as well in 4 passes total. Are you lathering and shaving in each direction like I used to or are you doing multiple directions per pass?

I only lather twice! First lather, I shave WTG and then ear to throat on my neck.

Second lather, I shave ATG and then throat to ear on my neck.

Then I have enough residual glide to touch up in any other direction.

That's been my experience with every razor so far, but then I end up with a smooth, uncomfortable neck.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The only thing that could help, that I can think of, is you need to change the angle of the razor as the contours of your neck change, maintaining the proper angle in whatever direction you are shaving.

Are you new to the straights or an old hand? It looks like an attractive but also terrifying razor to me. I will enjoy hearing of hour experiences.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Excellent razor. I have one that I occasionally shave with when I have the time. I have yet to nick myself with it.
Thanks guys. Its been interesting working with the AC non-folding razor. I haven't yet shaved with a real straight. My previous experience has been with the "Magic Razor" which takes half DE blades, and the Weck Hair Shaper which takes modern hair shaper blades. Both are pretty lightweight. Neither is scary to use but neither is very satisfying.

The rigid AC feels right in the hand. It has a nice heft. Personally I find it a bit easier to handle than the other razors whose scales seem to get in the way. Monday I did a full three pass. I got really close with a few spots of stubble. There were a couple of small nicks and a lot of feedback from the alum block. Since then various family comings and goings haven't left me with time for leisurely shaves. Instead of dropping back to the DE razors I decided to limit myself to one or two careful passes. This has really worked for me. I'm getting used to the razor, drawing no blood, and getting pretty good shaves at the same time. Its a lot of fun as DE shaving was getting routine.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Don't! :D

First, try the various Feather blades -- Pro, Pro Super, ProGuard. One of these will probably work for you. Let us know.

:a21:

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Any blades you would absolutely not want to use again, or would steer me away from even trying?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Any blades you would absolutely not want to use again, or would steer me away from even trying?

Happy shaves,

Jim

It’s tempting to ask everyone’s opinion about what to try and not to try with respect to blades...I wouldn’t ask that question. I would just try them all and let your own shave/face be the one to tell you what works (and some differently in each razor). I randomly tried the Kai Protouch MG on my own. No suggestion from anyone. It’s now my favorite at the moment. It was really good in the SE1. Now it is great in the General. (For me!, which is the key). See my long post a page or two ago about the forum “mob” mentality vs. going it on your own. I grabbed multiples of every AC blade early on from “Try a blade”.

I’ve always had trouble with my neck for the most part as well. Been spending the last year and change on a razor/blade search for the smoothest and least irritating. First it was moving to the AC format from DE (with which I shaved for years), and then trying to nail the best razor blade combo in the SE1 and General. I had it narrowed down to those after removing the Hawk and Ikon MR-SE from the equation.

Now, today, I feel I had my smoothest/irritation free shave yet with the Brass General/Kai Protouch MG combo. It just worked perfectly. I like the craftsmanship of the SE1 more but it might get relegated to 2nd place for a moment until I’ve done a few more tests. It’s all about comfort and irritation free for me. Go with what works vs. what you want to work.

Maybe it’s just your skin and hair growth at the end of the day? Maybe despite what you try you’re always going to have a little irritation? I know a few people like that. I wouldn’t give up trying though. It keeps things interesting nonetheless;)...and keeps things moving in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I still need to try the Protouch MGs. I'm really liking the Schick Proline. I used Feather Professional for past couple of years and I'm now experimenting with each blade I come across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom