What's new

Artists' Club

I have a straight . . . that I used once, and have no idea why I'm hanging onto. That experience put me off the bare blade forever, I'm sorry to say.

OK, you're cheap . . . jk. These look lovely to me. It's always 'surprised' me how much the first Hawk looks like the Mongoose, and how much the later Hawk and the SE1 look like the General . . . but then unless the designer 'decorates' the object in some way (Timeless), I guess there aren't that many forms the function can take . . .

Thanks for the compliments! The similarities you refer to between the RRs and the originals are more than obvious. However, I can't say I oppose getting a good version of a nice razor for less money...

I have a straight . . . that I used once, and have no idea why I'm hanging onto. That experience put me off the bare blade forever, I'm sorry to say.

PM me about that razor...

I use an AC blade in a shavette, most often the kamisori-style Kai Captain Excelia, for every shave. Usually for touch-up at the end -- guaranteed BBS no matter what razor I use for the main event -- but sometimes for the whole shave. The straight is actually the gentlest way to shave, once you master it.

I use an AC blade in a shavette, most often the kamisori-style Kai Captain Excelia, for every shave. Usually for touch-up at the end -- guaranteed BBS no matter what razor I use for the main event -- but sometimes for the whole shave. The straight is actually the gentlest way to shave, once you master it.

How did the full shave go with the Schick Proline in the Kai?

How did the full shave go with the Schick Proline in the Kai?
I had a full Proline shave in the Excelia just a couple of nights ago. It was fine, but I still prefer Pro Supers in my shavettes. I find them more forgiving than either Prolines or Pros, probably because Pro Supers are slightly thicker. Pro Supers bring the experience closer to a regular straight, which is definitely more forgiving than a shavette.

Many shavers say that the Feather Pro Super is “to sharp” or “it’s an inferior blade”. This holiday season, I hold a moment of silence for those that fall in either category....... *Silence*
Perhaps some day, they will reach shave nirvana with the Pro Super...... :001_tt2:

It’s a hell of a blade that gives an extremely close, smooth and efficient shave.
D6C0CBC9-8CBC-4323-86C8-EEB52ED7C097.jpeg

I have some here but have never tried them . . . maybe I have no excuse . . .

Lol!! Just having some fun amigo. I’m surprised though that this blade isn’t used or mentioned more often. Many consider it unforgiving, but for me and in my experience it’s completely the opposite. If anything, just try running the blade through cork. It might help in taking that bite or rough feel off the edge.

Many shavers say that the Feather Pro Super is “to sharp” or “it’s an inferior blade”. This holiday season, I hold a moment of silence for those that fall in either category....... *Silence*
Perhaps some day, they will reach shave nirvana with the Pro Super...... :001_tt2:

It’s a hell of a blade that gives an extremely close, smooth and efficient shave.
View attachment 847219

I get the same crappy results with the Pro Super is I do with the Pro, the only difference is I feel the blade more with the Super. They're the "Derby" blade of the AC's for me... Schick Proline's are supreme in every way.

Lol!! Just having some fun amigo. I’m surprised though that this blade isn’t used or mentioned more often. Many consider it unforgiving, but for me and in my experience it’s completely the opposite. If anything, just try running the blade through cork. It might help in taking that bite or rough feel off the edge.

I don't find them unforgiving all, I don't find them as efficient as the Proline!

Last edited:
I get the same crappy results with the Pro Super is I do with the Pro, the only difference is I feel the blade more with the Super. They're the "Derby" blade of the AC's for me... Schick Proline's are supreme in every way.

LOL!!! :001_tt2: :001_tt2:
Man, what took you so long?:001_tongu
I’ll give you that the Prolines are smooth and sharp and they last almost twice as long than either of the Feather blades, but the Feathers work great for me in every razor I’ve used them in. I’m lucky that I don’t have a problem with whatever blade or steel I use and put against my face. I think also that your technique is completely different from what I do. You shave with constant movement, such as your razor never stops until you’ve achieved the results that you are looking for. Which means dozens upon dozens of strokes and passes over the same areas. I could never do that. 3 pass maximum and minor buffing or some serious irritation ensues.
Perhaps the Feathers are more harsh for you? I don’t know. This is truly YMMV when it comes to blades.
Regardless, you have success with the Prolines as I do as well. I just happen to get great success with Feathers as well.

Who knows, perhaps one day you will unlock the secrets of the Feather blades and join the dark side..... :a45:

E1F45051-C64F-4486-B6E5-D0A1DC3ADAB6.gif

LOL!!! :001_tt2: :001_tt2:
Man, what took you so long?:001_tongu
I’ll give you that the Prolines are smooth and sharp and they last almost twice as long than either of the Feather blades, but the Feathers work great for me in every razor I’ve used them in. I’m lucky that I don’t have a problem with whatever blade or steel I use and put against my face. I think also that your technique is completely different from what I do. You shave with constant movement, such as your razor never stops until you’ve achieved the results that you are looking for. Which means dozens upon dozens of strokes and passes over the same areas. I could never do that. 3 pass maximum and minor buffing or some serious irritation ensues.
Perhaps the Feathers are more harsh for you? I don’t know. This is truly YMMV when it comes to blades.
Regardless, you have success with the Prolines as I do as well. I just happen to get great success with Feathers as well.

Who knows, perhaps one day you will unlock the secrets of the Feather blades and join the dark side..... :a45:

View attachment 847383

The secret is not to shave my chin, above my lip or head with Feather blades, just cheeks and neck!

The SE2/Kai pro guard is a combo I could live with for face shaves but not head shaves. The Feather Pro guard blade may prove to be just as good as the Kai. The SE1/Proline is smoother and more efficient and can BBS my head with ease.

The SE2 has more blade gap and is open comb, didn't like the regular Kai mild PINK blades in it or the SE1.

The SE2/Proline is the ultimate in efficiency, I haven't quite mastered it yet, no blood loss, but considerable sting from the AS. I haven't used the SE2 consistently though, the SE1 is hard to put down...

Last edited:
Continuing with the Feather Pro in the Mongoose this week. I'm liking it much better than I remembered (but then, unlike Anthony, I don't have to shave my head with it). Certainly, so far, in the ballpark with the best DE blades I've used.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My first AC razor was the SS General. Now I have the SE2 also. The SE1 baseplate (used) was ordered and paid for today so I should have it in a few days. My only AC blade has been the Proline, but I must like it since I bought 390 blades.

I find the General more comfortable and more efficient than the SE2 so far, but 1.5 shaves with a new razor is hardly enough to compare with the 40 or so shaves I've had with the General.

The SE2 has more blade gap and is open comb.

SE2 the no wimp zone razor.jpg

More than the SE1 I assume. I have not seen an SE1, but the Blade Gap and Guard Span on the SE2 are both considerable.

The SE2/Proline is the ultimate in efficiency.

I bought mine having faith in your opinion concerning the razor's efficiency. I hope you're right.

I haven't quite mastered it yet, no blood loss, but considerable sting from the AS. I haven't used the SE2 consistently though, the SE1 is hard to put down...

Maybe we should get up a group and consider doing a No Wimps Fixed Four for a month with the SE2 and the Proline + brush of choice + shaving soap of choice. Other than those four items anything would be fair to use (shaving oil, prep stuff, AS, balm, witch hazel, alum, etc.).

The issue I have with that idea is whether the razor actually might be too aggressive for daily shaving. If anybody is using it for daily shaving I've forgotten about hearing what they've got to say about it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My first AC razor was the SS General. Now I have the SE2 also. The SE1 baseplate (used) was ordered and paid for today so I should have it in a few days. My only AC blade has been the Proline, but I must like it since I bought 390 blades.

I find the General more comfortable and more efficient than the SE2 so far, but 1.5 shaves with a new razor is hardly enough to compare with the 40 or so shaves I've had with the General.

View attachment 847492

More than the SE1 I assume. I have not seen an SE1, but the Blade Gap and Guard Span on the SE2 are both considerable.

I bought mine having faith in your opinion concerning the razor's efficiency. I hope you're right.

Maybe we should get up a group and consider doing a No Wimps Fixed Four for a month with the SE2 and the Proline + brush of choice + shaving soap of choice. Other than those four items anything would be fair to use (shaving oil, prep stuff, AS, balm, witch hazel, alum, etc.).

The issue I have with that idea is whether the razor actually might be too aggressive for daily shaving. If anybody is using it for daily shaving I've forgotten about hearing what they've got to say about it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This ATT SE2 thing has got me intrigued. I’ve never met an aggressive razor that I’ve said no too. All those that seem to have one have nothing but good reports on it, especially @rabidus & @pbrmhl. I have been debating on acquiring one for some time, and the shave reports by rabidus just seem to add more fuel to the fire. I just might take the plunge in 2018 and have a go at one.

That’s a pretty good idea on having a No Wimps ATT SE2 month shave off. If it happens, I’ll certainly be following along......

I think also that your technique is completely different from what I do. You shave with constant movement, such as your razor never stops until you’ve achieved the results that you are looking for.

I don't over shave any part of my face. For example, I break my face down into sections. My cheeks may only take 5 or 6 strokes total to BBS, while my chin takes 20+ strokes total, I don't do 20+ pass on my entire face, I give each area the attention needed to get BBS. I can't tell you how many passes it amounts to, I only need to apply lather twice. I shave WTG/XTG on the first lather and ATG/XTG on the second lather. XTG is basically any direction to get stubble I'm not able to get WTG and ATG. BBS every shave, and I can do that everyday, face and head shave.

I don't over shave any part of my face. For example, I break my face down into sections. My cheeks may only take 5 or 6 strokes total to BBS, while my chin takes 20+ strokes total, I don't do 20+ pass on my entire face, I give each area the attention needed to get BBS. I can't tell you how many passes it amounts to, I only need to apply lather twice. I shave WTG/XTG on the first lather and ATG/XTG on the second lather. XTG is basically any direction to get stubble I'm not able to get WTG and ATG. BBS every shave, and I can do that everyday, face and head shave.

Interesting way to shave. I think I've only ever shaved like this back in my Gillette Fusion/Profusion days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it. :thumbsup:

I can get a BBS face shave from the aluminum General/Proline, I found the El Jefe to be more efficient and better for face and head shaves.

The SE2 is on a whole different level than any other AC razor I've used!

Maybe we should get up a group and consider doing a No Wimps Fixed Four for a month with the SE2 and the Proline + brush of choice + shaving soap of choice. Other than those four items anything would be fair to use (shaving oil, prep st

I ain't ascared!

Edit:

The Asylum RX is on the same level as the SE2 but first impressions, I like the SE2 more.

Top Bottom