What's new

Artists' Club

This ATT SE2 thing has got me intrigued. I’ve never met an aggressive razor that I’ve said no too. All those that seem to have one have nothing but good reports on it, especially @rabidus & @pbrmhl. I have been debating on acquiring one for some time, and the shave reports by rabidus just seem to add more fuel to the fire. I just might take the plunge in 2018 and have a go at one.

It's not for the weak or faint of heart!

@Dragonsbeard has the SE2, haven't heard his full take on it yet. Let's hear it Frank, quit stalling!

This ATT SE2 thing has got me intrigued. I’ve never met an aggressive razor that I’ve said no too. All those that seem to have one have nothing but good reports on it, especially @rabidus & @pbrmhl. I have been debating on acquiring one for some time, and the shave reports by rabidus just seem to add more fuel to the fire. I just might take the plunge in 2018 and have a go at one.
The ATT SE2 is the most aggressive safety razor I've ever used -- and that includes the 2011 R41. It's a great razor, and has a permanent place in my rotation (with Colossus handle, second from left in photo). Especially good for when I have 2-3 or more days' growth. If you like aggressive razors and AC blades, you should definitely take the plunge in 2018 -- or sooner. There are still a few days left in 2017. ;)

PS: The SE2 would be fine for daily shaving, as far as I'm concerned. But when I only have 1 day's growth, I see it as an opportunity to use my other favorite tools -- the Calypso SE1 and the two Colonial Generals, all of which support a jiggier approach to the shave, to use the comparative of one of rabidus's favorite adjectives.

Last edited:
It's not for the weak or faint of heart!

@Dragonsbeard has the SE2, haven't heard his full take on it yet. Let's hear it Frank, quit stalling!
Hi Anothny
I’ve had a lot going on lately and I had only 2 shaves with the SE2 before changing handles. I did one shave using my Maggards MR 11 and I didn’t like the balance using that. I just got the new Kronos handle so I want to give a realistic review when I feel I’ve had a couple more shaves with the SE 2 and then do a good comparison shave with one of my other more efficient Razors.

This week for sure! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The ATT SE2 is the most aggressive safety razor I've ever used -- and that includes the 2011 R41. It's a great razor, and has a permanent place in my rotation (with Colossus handle, second from left in photo). Especially good for when I have 2-3 or more days' growth. If you like aggressive razors and AC blades, you should definitely take the plunge in 2018 -- or sooner. There are still a few days left in 2017. ;)

PS: The SE2 would be fine for daily shaving, as far as I'm concerned. But when I only have 1 day's growth, I see it as an opportunity to use my other favorite tools -- the Calypso SE1 and the two Colonial Generals, all of which support a jiggier approach to the shave, to use the comparative of one of rabidus's favorite adjectives.

Thanks for the input. I have a few aggressive razors as well. An Rx, El Jefe (original) PAA DOC EVO, Claymore and a few Wedges. I’ve never said no to steel that likes to show it’s teeth. It’s a challenge in figuring them out.

Hi Anothny
I’ve had a lot going on lately and I had only 2 shaves with the SE2 before changing handles. I did one shave using my Maggards MR 11 and I didn’t like the balance using that. I just got the new Kronos handle so I want to give a realistic review when I feel I’ve had a couple more shaves with the SE 2 and then do a good comparison shave with one of my other more efficient Razors.

This week for sure! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to your input my friend......

This is exciting . . . having only ever used the Mongoose and the ATT R1, I've never used an 'aggressive' razor of any kind. When I get to that SE2, I'm gonna have to make sure I'm sober . . .

• SE2/Kai Mild PINK

Used the regular new Kai blade in the SE2 V2 today.

Same efficiency as the guarded blade. The guarded blade seemed to be smoother but nothing to sneeze at. Neither were as smooth as the SE1/Schick Proline. I was able to BBS my face, but I could feel the blade struggling like a Schick Proline that I'm about ready to toss. I didn't bother using the Kai for my head shave.

The SE2 really gets the most out of the Kia blades but they are no match for the Schick Proline. The Kai blade in the SE1 performed worse.

Tomorrow I'll use a fresh Schick Proline in the SE2 V2.

That was the last time I will use anything other than the Schick Proline.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The SE2 is on a whole different level than any other AC razor I've used!

I ain't ascared!

Me, neither.

Scared Cat.jpg

My impression of the SE2 so far is in line with what I've seen in several recent posts: This is an aggressive razor. Perhaps it is the most aggressive razor. Certainly several gentlemen have compared it to their most aggressive razors, including razors many of us don't want to use.

I am afraid of some razors.

My issue is whether the SE2 razor is aggressive in the sense of it having a great tendency to bite you and take off skin. If it is relatively very much prone to do this, I consider it aggressive, but is it too aggressive?

I have no idea yet.

Sometime guys say razors are aggressive when they mean the razor is efficient. Perhaps this razor is very efficient. I'm too new with it to know yet. So far it seems aggressive and not so efficient as my SS General, but 1.5 shaves with the SE2 is too few to form a meaningful conclusion.

Maybe we should get up a group and consider doing a No Wimps Fixed Four for a month with the SE2 and the Proline + brush of choice + shaving soap of choice. Other than those four items anything would be fair to use (shaving oil, prep stuff, AS, balm, witch hazel, alum, etc.).

Whether we do this as a group or not I plan to do a Fixed Four with this razor.

Well, maybe not. Not if I determine it would be insanely stupid to try something like that with such an aggressive razor. That is still an open question for me.

So far I notice a lot of blade feel, but I'm not yet sure from my own experience what to make of the SE2.

It does not seem like a razor I want to get jiggy wit.

The Blade Gap and Guard Span on the SE2 are both considerable.

The SE2 has significant Blade Gap, Guard Span, and Blade Exposure, but that doesn't answer my questions about it.

The issue I have with that idea is whether the razor actually might be too aggressive for daily shaving. If anybody is using it for daily shaving I've forgotten about hearing what they've got to say about it.

I've done more homework.

Can this razor be used every day? Certainly it can, at least by some gentlemen. There have been some posts by guys who use it all the time. Right this second I can't find their posts, but one who comes to mind is @captp. He's not the only one, but he comes to mind. I am not saying he currently shaves exclusively with the SE2, or even that he still has an SE2, just that I recall him saying he used it daily for a period of time.

It would be interesting to me to track down everybody who has used this razor as a daily shaver. Do they have secrets? Any common elements which help make the SE2 an efficient and not too aggressive daily shaver?

It seems to me the only thing for me to do here is to continue shaving with the SE2. As I do so, I will find out what I need to know. I don't actually care if this razor can be, for me, a daily shaver. I care if it can be a sufficiently efficient daily shaver for me without being so aggressive (in my hands) that the shaves are uncomfortable and/or damaging.

I know from my recent December to Remember Fixed Four with the SS Colonial General that shaving with just one razor (and a fixed kit) for a few weeks teaches me things I can't learn any other way. I knew going into the General's fixed four that I could shave with the General day after day. I do not know that about the SE2.

How can I learn this?

upload_2017-12-27_10-5-30.png

Shave with that sucker!

We'll see.

Happy shaves,

Jim

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
@Chan Eil Whiskers
I still use the SE2, but alternate with the SE1. I don't think either is more efficient than the other, but, just by blade feel, the SE2 is more aggressive. Wish I could make up my mind which one I prefer, so I could get back to using just one.
No, the SE2 doesn't take chunks out of your face, unless you pay absolutely no attention, but I tend to get minor nicks from it more than with the SE1. Very minor.

@Chan Eil Whiskers
I still use the SE2, but alternate with the SE1. I don't think either is more efficient than the other, but, just by blade feel, the SE2 is more aggressive. Wish I could make up my mind which one I prefer, so I could get back to using just one.
No, the SE2 doesn't take chunks out of your face, unless you pay absolutely no attention, but I tend to get minor nicks from it more than with the SE1. Very minor.

I say the SE2 is more efficient because it takes fewer strokes to get BBS and it lasts longer than a BBS shave from the SE1, with both using a Schick Proline.

Count me in here! Love my Feather DX with Pro Super blades for lazy days with extra time to shave. Also have a Mongoose I haven’t used much .... but one day I surely will.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I say the SE2 is more efficient because it takes fewer strokes to get BBS and it lasts longer than a BBS shave from the SE1, with both using a Schick Proline.

I hope you're right, and trust you are. I have to learn the razor.

@Chan Eil Whiskers

Ah, thanks. That helps me understand how they're different and how they're not different.

I have an SE1 baseplate ordered (a used baseplate), so I will be able to do my own comparisons.

You gentlemen are so helpful.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Glad this group got started. One thing I will say regarding AC blades and to those that might be starting out. This applies to many other aspects of shaving as well. Listen to yourself and your face first and foremost. Try all the blades, and try them more than once. The mob mentality / repetitive claims that a certain blade is the “best” (razor, etc too) can have a detrimental effect on one’s experience. There are definitely some champions of certain blades here. If you are new, certainly read the claims, but don’t take anything to heart, and don’t go buying hundreds of blades because someone convinced you based on their (or many individuals) fervor over a particular blade. That’s their favorite and their opinion only. A lot of things are written here from the angle of perceived “fact” when it clearly is not the case. One should presumably know that it’s opinion regardless, but some are new and/or uninformed and may perceive statements incorrectly. I’ve seen it happen multiple times on forums like these. People get caught up and excited on the hot topic/item at hand. Then these same claims change when something new or fancy comes along...or they try something they personally hadn’t tried before. What happens? It’s their new favorite magically! Just a little buyer beware philosophy for those that might be joining the AC format. Carry on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad this group got started. One thing I will say regarding AC blades and to those that might be starting out. This applies to many other aspects of shaving as well. Listen to yourself and your face first and foremost. Try all the blades, and try them more than once. The mob mentality / repetitive claims that a certain blade is the “best” (razor, etc too) can have a detrimental effect on one’s experience. There are definitely some champions of certain blades here. If you are new, certainly read the claims, but don’t take anything to heart, and don’t go buying hundreds of blades because someone convinced you based on their (or many individuals) fervor over a particular blade. That’s their favorite and their opinion only. A lot of things are written here from the angle of perceived “fact” when it clearly is not the case. One should presumably know that it’s opinion regardless, but some are new and/or uninformed and may perceive statements incorrectly. I’ve seen it happen multiple times on forums like these. People get caught up and excited on the hot topic/item at hand. Then these same claims change when something new or fancy comes along...or they try something they personally hadn’t tried before. What happens? It’s their new favorite magically! Just a little buyer beware philosophy for those that might be joining the AC format. Carry on!

Very true sir. Following the masses isn't for everyone and certainly doesn't apply as one size fits all in respect to wetshaving. For instance, many have been steered away from the Occam razor due to the head being held in with two screws or comparing it as the poor man's version of the Oneblade.

Such claims are mere opinion and speculation. I took a chance on it due to its "low" price point for a SS SE razor and unique design. Turns out it is a pretty good for me. I'm willing to try any razor that fits into my budget.

This morning's shave was two quick passes with the SE2 Colossus and an almost-new Proline. A few seconds worth of touch-up with the same razor got me to BBS, albeit with a few weepers on the chin and upper lip. I probably could have avoided the weepers by switching to the Excelia for touch-up.

To me, the SE2 is all about blade-feel* and effectiveness.** I always want the latter, but am not always in the mood for the former, which is why I have milder razors in my rotation. I have some Kai Captain Titan Milds lying around, and I may try one of those in the SE2 next time. If my theory about the SE2 is right, I would expect to have about as much blade-feel (a blade is a blade, after all), but less effectiveness (because Milds are less sharp than Prolines, not to put too fine a point on it ;) ).

-----
* Self-explanatory, but I'll explain it anyway: The sensation of exposed blade on skin.
** Number of strokes required to get the desired shave quality (BBS/DFS/CCS/SAS). Golf scoring applies, of course. Effectiveness is a Good Thing because the fewer strokes of blade against skin, the less the possibility of irritation. And, you save time.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
To me, the SE2 is all about blade-feel* and effectiveness.** I always want the latter, but am not always in the mood for the former...

* Self-explanatory, but I'll explain it anyway: The sensation of exposed blade on skin.
** Number of strokes required to get the desired shave quality (BBS/DFS/CCS/SAS). Golf scoring applies, of course. Effectiveness is a Good Thing because the fewer strokes of blade against skin, the less the possibility of irritation. And, you save time.

Nice!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well I just got a Feather SS kamisori razor for Christmas. Paired with the Pro blade it gives a very nice shave. Still learning it though.

Are you new to the straights or an old hand? It looks like an attractive but also terrifying razor to me. I will enjoy hearing of hour experiences.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Made a mistake today. Tried the Kai Protouch MG in the Brass General. Even smoother than the SE1 and same efficiency. Will have to have a few more shaves with each before I choose the winner. Although I also have to try the SS General as well with the Protouch MG. Damn;) Been trying to get to 1 Razor and 1 Blade for a while. Thought I was getting there. A little longer....Ha.

• SE2/Schick Proline
Fresh Proline today, much better than with the Kai Mild PINK blade yesterday. More blade feel with the SE2, shave should last longer... No issues with the shave, it just takes a different technique. I prefer the SE1 though...

Well I just got a Feather SS kamisori razor for Christmas. Paired with the Pro blade it gives a very nice shave. Still learning it though.

Excellent razor. I have one that I occasionally shave with when I have the time. I have yet to nick myself with it.

Top Bottom