What's new

Arko August 2022

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
753587B5-18E4-45A2-A933-1A6815EDD2A6.jpeg

Arko August Shave number eleven for me today. I had a great shave today, if I had have stopped after the third pass it would have been fantastic. But I went back for something under my nose that wasn’t really there and gave myself a weeper. No one to blame but me for that.

They are all quite similar. I probably like the Comfort the most because of it's scent. I actually use the Sensitive the most because it has a very light lavender/citrus type scent that doesn't stick around long. For me the sensitive doesn't produce as much lather as the others for some reason. There's plenty of it, but it's just not billowing out like Arko is known to do. With all the glycerin they contain I usually skip any aftershave or balm as it's not needed. I highly recommend them.

Keep in mind that they are smaller tubes, so Palmolive or Proraso could easily be cheaper. Pasteur's was selling it quite cheaply, but they seem to have run out. Maybe @Multum in parvo can weigh in more.
As you said, similar performance, mild scents. The tubes are 100ml and I wouldn't pay more than 3-4 euros for it. This is for varity's sake only as Palmolive/Nivea goes for 1-1.5 here and 150ml of any Proraso are also only 3-4.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure (just about 100%) that all of the Arko puck soaps were made in 2018. Now there were probably millions of them made so they'll be around for decades to come. 😆
More like thousands of years, Arko has a half life of 24,000 years, like plutonium. So in 24,000 years your puck of Arko will have lost half its urinal puck smell

Shark SS shave 6
1 day growth

Razor: Winning Razor
Pre: Warm shower with Pre de Provence bath soap
Soap: ARKO COOL cream
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic
After: none

Yesterday's shave went smoothly although it has become evident that the blade is dulling. The Arko Cool cream isn't a cooling cream like Proraso. It's more of a cool vibe like an aquatic scent might be called cool. The first pass was with a shavette with the DE taking care of the next two. There's increased resistance across the grain under my sideburns, so this blade only has one more shave in it. 3 passes with Baby Seal Smooth results and no drama.

thumbnail_IMG_1295.jpg

Outstanding Arko Shave today. I "mashed" in the last bits of Old Spice Sport bar soap so they weren't just on the top layer.
  • Gillette Single Ring (no date code). What a lovely, lovely razor. Gets right into the usual "trouble" spots. What you can't see is the other side of handle is cracked from end to end. Was part of a "lot" deal on the 'bay, doesn't affect the shave one whit. I've not found a fix for this type of handle (vs. the well-known Ball End OT fix), as the shank has to pass through the handle to tighten the head.
  • Lab Blue (16)
  • Went with AV Musk instead of British Leather at the last minute, for no reason in particular ;)
I was also reminded today that when I have to go 2+ days without shaving, I can go ATG and buff away with no issues.

9.5/10. I love Arko.

1660229608025.jpeg

ARKO-ing , Day 11

PXL_20220811_150101175.PORTRAIT.jpg

Feather "Popular" razor
Astra Platinum blade
PAA Solar Flare brush
ARKO stick
Collapsable rubber shaving bowl
Shave 2x WTG-slide technique; DFS in my book

Good Day Gents
I want to make a special note about my new shaving bowl. Previously I have used a ceramic scuttle and a pottery soup bowl. I didn't like the clacking noise when the brush handle touched the sides of the bowls. I was also concerned about the bowl breaking-which happened once when a soup bowl fell to the floor. This new rubber bowl is dead quiet and has a textured surface on the inside bottom to facilitate a good lather. Today I made my best bowl lathered Arko ever-thanks in big measure to the bowl.

This is my first time to use the PAA Solar Flare brush. It was fine mixing in the bowl but it was only useful using painting strokes on the face-it has no splaying ability and little backbone. Its redeeming value is that it is super soft with zero brush burn or irritation.

I like the Feather "Popular" better than the AS-D2. I always have. I noticed I was riding the cap a little more than usual and letting the light weight of the razor do its job without any added pressure.

Last but not least, I used cold water throughout and think my skin appreciates the more gentle temperature on a 67 year old face.

Last edited:
More like thousands of years, Arko has a half life of 24,000 years, like plutonium. So in 24,000 years your puck of Arko will have lost half its urinal puck smell

You mean half of its magnificent, lush, opulent, lemony scent?

🍋

Oh the nostalgia that exists for the scent of random public restrooms.

I never thought I'd be one of those men, yet here I am shaving with a magnificent, lush, opulent, lemony scented urinal puck that's so long lasting, it'll outlive me. Hahahaha. 😆

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razor: Rex Ambassador, 2.5 setting
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (3)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: Pre de Provence
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9/10

Upon reaching the 35% mark of August, I'm finding Arko foundational... a building block on which a great shave kit can be built. Smooth and clean shave.

16F53B7F-79EA-4790-BB33-71EF44082FAB.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
1E551DBB-B680-41DD-92D4-9AE4783CDBD3.jpeg

Arko August shave number twelve for me. Still with the Gillette Gold Tech and the Jaws platinum blade on shave number (5). Another DFS today and I stopped at three passes. Yesterday I went back for something that wasn’t there and gave myself a weeper.

Top Bottom