• Rockwell 6S/R5
  • Nacet (20)
  • Semogue Taj Boar
  • ARKO! - SOTM and Arko August
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling South Padre ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
An easy two-pass shave.

I skipped yesterday and moved the Rockwell from the R4 to the R5 for today; that was a good decision. I've noticed that the Nacet lasts a long time for me, but gets more "scrapey" over time. My solution is to gradually step up the plates I'm using. The first few shaves are with the R3, then the R4 comes in until about the 20th shave, and then the R5. When it feels like the blade is on its last legs, I give it a go with the R6 plate, but that's just a wish and a prayer.

At the moment, though, I'm in the middle of the cycle, and the combination did not disappoint. With help from the steady hand that is Arko, I got an easy DFS+, including my neck, which is usually a trouble spot - yes, my entire neck is a trouble "spot". Still, it's pretty clean and the vintage Avon aftershave told me that I was efficient, not aggressive. I'll take it.

Onward!

Since most of us, except the 1%'ers that exist in this thread,:001_rolle all have Arko, I have a question of curiosity regarding the production date codes on the tubs.

I recently got a new tub a few months ago from Amazon and the production date code says it was made in 2018.

What is the production year of your most recent tub?
I've been meaning to get back to you on this. Here you go....

7E2B6E7C-B9BA-4298-8BE2-400F27CE6F1F.jpeg

ARKO-ing in Arkoland, Day 10

PXL_20220810_181231557.PORTRAIT.jpg

Feather AS-D2 razor
Astra Platinum blade
Semogue 830 brush
Saponificio Varisino (first pass)
Arko stick (2nd pass)
Shave 2x WTG using slide maneuver

Good Day Gents!
Yesterday I got the Semogue 830 boar brush all the way from Portugal. This is my second boar and I am becoming a fan. I did some break-in procedures and am already getting a lot of split-ends. It is smaller than my Omega "Italian" and I like that.

This is my first time to try a SV soap. I have read that this brand can be finicky trying to get a good lather. Thanks to @Marco and @JCinPA I learned how to get this lather up to speed(almost). As to Arko, I can't believe I have used the same soap 10 days in a row.

I have a love/hate relationship with the AS-D2 razor. I tried different angles (and I think the SV soap was too thick) but it didn't glide very well on my neck. I am going to take it out of the rotation and try again later.

August 10th

After face lathering ARKO with my small, green Omega boar brush, I shaved with an Astra Platinum (22) in my US Aristocrat. On the previous shave with this combination, I suggested 3 small weepers. I'm glad I didn't trash the blade. Today's shave was marvelous, even if I did carelessly nick my lower lip.

20220810_163830-Edit.jpg

Shark SS shave 4 & 5
1 day growth

Razor: 1953 Super Speed
Pre: Warm shower with Kurt's Castile unscented.
Soap: ARKO COMFORT cream
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic
After: none

Another busy week, so two combined into one post. I've been wanting to get into using a straight, so the first with the grain pass was done with a shavette. The following two were done with the Super Speed. 3 passes has me Baby Seal Smooth with no drama. I could tell towards the end of the 5th shave that he blade was starting to wear. No aftershave was needed.

thumbnail_IMG_1294.jpg

ARKO August 10 (night)

Razor: Gillette New SC (nickel replated)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Omega 10081 beehive boar
Soap: ARKO stick + RR Green Label triple-milled puck
A/S: DIY lemon witch hazel, Speick splash

DFS+

Today's ARKO August mixology experiment was a similar soap combo to yesterday, but with a "woody green" scent. Good scent, residual slickness and post-shave properties compared with plain ARKO. Very nice, economical soap combo.

So, which one do you like most? Could you help me understand the real-world difference been using each of these? I'm thinking of picking some up and could totally use your advice/experience.

They are all quite similar. I probably like the Comfort the most because of it's scent. I actually use the Sensitive the most because it has a very light lavender/citrus type scent that doesn't stick around long. For me the sensitive doesn't produce as much lather as the others for some reason. There's plenty of it, but it's just not billowing out like Arko is known to do. With all the glycerin they contain I usually skip any aftershave or balm as it's not needed. I highly recommend them.

Keep in mind that they are smaller tubes, so Palmolive or Proraso could easily be cheaper. Pasteur's was selling it quite cheaply, but they seem to have run out. Maybe @Multum in parvo can weigh in more.

The Cool is not cool but the Hydrate is to a certain extent. The Sensitive is a nice subdued lavender. All the creams have nothing in common with the original stick/puck.

Arko August 2022 # 6

Growth: 48 hours
Pass: WTG /ATG

Razor: Gillette slim twist
Blade: Bic Astor Stainless (1)
Brush: Yaqi Brush Mokka Express Handle R1737
Lather: Arko Men sensitive cream
Aftershave: Proraso Red Sandalwood

Have some wonderful shaves!
Foto_1.jpg

Top Bottom