What's new

Arko August 2019

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
DE34CFAD-B260-4B6A-BED3-60EE8A2656F9.jpeg
Okay, Wednesday the 31st of July here in Australia. I have just grated 2 Arko sticks into a plastic container in anticipation of tomorrow’s start to Arko August. How are you going to use your Arko? Grated or as a Stick?

I will be starting a day early. I have been under the weather and just didn't feel like shaving when I got up Tuesday. So I will be working the Arko on 2 days growth in a few hours before bed with my Omega boar.

Good luck to all.

Merkur 37c
Rapira PL (6th shave)
Omega 10098 Pro Boar
Arko for Arko August
Lemongrass WH
Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

proxy.php

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

View attachment 1003744
Okay, Wednesday the 31st of July here in Australia. I have just grated 2 Arko sticks into a plastic container in anticipation of tomorrow’s start to Arko August. How are you going to use your Arko? Grated or as a Stick?
Stick. Definitely stick. I just spent the month of July bowl-lathering with three new-to-me boar brushes. Now I'll spend the month of August face-lathering with them. The brushes should be good and broken in by the end of the month and the Arko soap stick will help me get there.

View attachment 1003744

I originally mashed my stick into my Tabac jar. Then I realized that it will last more than a month and will be put away as another soap got a month's worth of attention, and that I will want to use the Tabac jar, with a Tabac refill, for Tabactober. Oops. So I scraped the Arko out with a spoon and mashed those chunks into a plastic tub from a previous soap, along with some Pinaud Clubman for good-smelly purposes. All set!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve been using creams lately but broke out the Arko this morning. Squashed into a bowl last night. Good soap. Used a Derby blade in a shavette. Wish the Arko cream were cheaper.

Can't wait to finish off the stick I received in a PIF, and start into the stock I bought after my first use of Arko.

It will be sticks as sticks for me. No need or desire to use it in other than its "purest" form.

With all the enthusiasm around Arko August, I decided I would try it, even though I already have more than enough soaps already. I ordered a could of sticks to see what I might like about Arko and what I might not like.

1st- The scent. While some love it and some hate it, I found the scent off the puck to be neither inviting nor repulsive. However, after I lathered it, the scent became stronger and less appealing.

2nd- Arko is a shave stick. My face is too sensitive to face lather, so I sliced off enough soap and added sufficient water to develop a lather. It was not as easy to lather as some of my artisan soaps, but neither was it as difficult to lather as some triple milled soaps.

3rd- The lather was reasonably slick and protective. It was better than I thought it might be for a cheap soap. The residual slickness was not as good as I had hoped, but not bad. If I added water to my face, I could do some clean-up strokes without adding additional lather.

4th- Post shave feel. This is where the soap failed. Although I got a good shave, the Arko left my face feeling tight and dry. It felt like the soap stripped all the oils from my face. With most of the soaps in my den I can get by without and aftershave balm or lotion; not so with Arko. The only soaps that are worse than Arko from this standpoint are soaps that actually burn my face such that I cannot even use them.

The bottom line is that I will not be participating in Arko August. My face would not survive the experience. I will be taking my Arko to the next shaving meet I attend to give it to the first person who wants it.

Alrighty, US-based peeps: tomorrow is Day One, so start your Arko-engines! Others may have gotten a head start and we need to catch up!

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
@FoolishMortal
@FarmerTan
@mawashi
@Cphobes
@Goatlips
@SpudWrench
@James Darmody
@bluesman 7
@bjm
@jj_sharp
@Gaznix
@fast shaver
@meanpr
@Brian C.
@Billy T.
@ajkel64
@PeteVK

Arko is so-so (some Arko, sometimes)
@Wtd1911
@ksblazer
@ftrez
@Rosseforp
@Whilliam
@shave/brush
@RumpleBearskin
@Ted A

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
HarryAU570
RayClem

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
@Goatlips

With all the enthusiasm around Arko August, I decided I would try it, even though I already have more than enough soaps already. I ordered a could of sticks to see what I might like about Arko and what I might not like.

<snip>

The bottom line is that I will not be participating in Arko August. My face would not survive the experience. I will be taking my Arko to the next shaving meet I attend to give it to the first person who wants it.
Well, I appreciate the effort. Maybe Spiecktember or Tabactober will be more to your liking. :)

I pulled out the Arko that's been sitting since January of this year (around the time I started wet-shaving). Did a test lather....I don't know....I'm gonna give it a go my next shave day in August....but that smell.....and Tabac doesn't bother me....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I pulled out the Arko that's been sitting since January of this year (around the time I started wet-shaving). Did a test lather....I don't know....I'm gonna give it a go my next shave day in August....but that smell.....and Tabac doesn't bother me....
Dude! With a name like yours Arko is a must! About the smell: just do what I do. Imagine you are shaving in a Truck Stop, and go to your "happy place!"

Of course, maybe your happy place doesn't involve urinal cakes!

Top Bottom