What's new

Which one of these soaps should i get?

My go tos are Noble Otter Lonestar, and Jack Black Supreme Creme.
Lonestar is a good bowl lather.
Supreme Creme is a good face lather. I take a very small dollop of soap, and put it on a wet face, pick it up with the brush, and then lather from side to side until the lather holds. It's not the thick lather you get in a bowl, but it's still really good for a shave.

If it were me, I'd get Barrister and Mann Seville and any Stirling soap...or just one soap from each brand.

Gun to my head? Barrister and man Seville.

Last edited:
This logic is fundamentally flawed. Col Conk as others have pointed out, isn't the same company and even if it was, its an okay at best glycerine shave soap. Proraso is definitively not a great product, especially in comparison to the successful artisans who at this point have been around for over 10 years. MWF has had significant quality control issues with many people here on B&B finding issues with the soap not lathering at all and recently reformulated so technically it isn't the original formula (if it ever was). The newer products are higher quality, not that much more expensive considering how long they last and for sure are formulated with better ingredients and better scents. Most if not all classic brands are operating in name only and were bought out by larger conglomerates.
Exactly...most of the many average industrial soaps, that have been around for decades, are owned by large, bureaucratic bodies that don't give a hoot about anything but their margins, with soap pucks/tubs banged out as quickly and cheaply as possible by indifferent employees who are only there for a paycheck.

Vs small batch creators who take pride in their product and have been far, far more active with experimentation and advancing the formulations and technology...plus the mass produced stuff is disappearing far more readily than established artisans.

It seems a brand simply being old produces a similar artificial prestige as recently discontinued ones. If tallow MWF or Tabac had never existed, and were released today, and were therefore viewed objectively by the market, I highly doubt they'd rise to command the same fandom they do today.

Exactly...most of the many average industrial soaps, that have been around for decades, are owned by large, bureaucratic bodies that don't give a hoot about anything but their margins, with soap pucks/tubs banged out as quickly and cheaply as possible by indifferent employees who are only there for a paycheck.

Vs small batch creators who take pride in their product and have been far, far more active with experimentation and advancing the formulations and technology...plus the mass produced stuff is disappearing far more readily than established artisans.

It seems a brand simply being old produces a similar artificial prestige as recently discontinued ones. If tallow MWF or Tabac had never existed, and were released today, and were therefore viewed objectively by the market, I highly doubt they'd rise to command the same fandom they do today.
I agree completely

Top Bottom