What's new

Are You Mocked For Your Shaving Choice and Hobby?

Am I mocked for not being a soulless mind controlled slave that doesn't obey what shaving equipment his masters tell him to use on the TV? No. I tell a few people people what I use. They don't mock but are also not too interested and the conversation gets memory holed.

Last edited:
Am I mocked for not being a soulless mind controlled slave that doesn't obey to what shaving equipment his masters tell him to use on the TV? No. I tell a few people people what I use. They don't mock but are also not too interested and the conversation gets memory holed.
TV? Who watches TV nowadays? :biggrin1: The masses are just sheep who'll follow the latest "coolest" hype.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Our local rock channel played it so much I got sick of it, even though I love the song and the band.
My best friend and I would look at each other when it came on, roll our eyes and go, "Uhoh. More Led poisoning."😆
In the 1970's my friend Rusty used to make a $20 bet that he could find a radio station playing Zep with just one turn of the dial. I don't remember him ever losing that bet.

~doug~

I don’t know if I am being mocked or not. I usually get blank stares when I mention shaving as a hobby and rolling eyes when I mention the number of razors and brushes I have.

My family mocks me constantly by the way.

Cheers,

Guido
My brother and sister are pretty understanding of their crackpot older brother.
My wife's family, on the other hand, regards me somewhat differently. I really don't think they get me at all. 😆

I currently have two passions, different hobbies. Apart from the traditional wet shave, I also love nice perfumes.
Perfumery is an even more expensive hobby. Over the years I have collected more than 100 branded, designer and niche perfumes for which I have paid over €20,000
My friends always talk to me about the scent, but they never care that I'm clean shaven.
And when I look at them, most of the people around me either have sloppy stubble or shaped beards, but almost no one shaves. So I can hardly have a conversation with a real physical person about this hobby of mine. Most discussions take place in a place like this - online.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The father of my wife thought I am nuts before he knew about my razor, flashlight, running shoes and hiking boots, gemstones and other collections. I think he by now thinks of me as a functional nutter.

People think I am wasting money and they are right. I am rarely getting mocked though. It can be dangerous to mock a nutter, after all. I forgot to mention that I also collect knives.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
As the title says, are you mocked, teased, kidded, ridiculed because of your decision to use and perhaps (probably) collect DE blades and safety razors, soaps and creams and brushes?

To put it plainly……no

I’m trying to think of what type teasing or ridicule one might receive from their compatriots. Like maybe “hey do you also cook over an open fire?” Ha ha …..ha

or maybe “why not shave with a sharpened rock! Ha……HAHHH…..haaa” or maybe “do you even have running water! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha”

Why would anyone care? Or why would you care?

If you are mocked, teased, kidded, ridiculed because of your decision to use and perhaps (probably) collect DE blades and safety razors, soaps and creams and brushes……….you need to find a different class of people to associate yourself with.

My family makes fun of me and think I am crazy and don't get it so I know I am doing something right!

The other people that know me either shrug, show some interest or are suprised that wet shaving is a hobby so am I am mocked? No I am not. I enjoy the family stuff I think its funny.

Last edited:
Wet shaving has never been cheap. It has probably always been the same price as now, adjusted for inflation, purchasing power and other economic stuff.

Check out this 1951 ad.
proxy.php

It looks a sweet bargain. $1 for a Super Speed and 10 blades, which would be $11.87 in 2023 prices. The average yearly salary in 1951 was about $3,100.

The catch was after the blades ran out, it cost pretty much the same again to buy 20 blades. The uncoated carbons of the day were not known for long life, maybe 2-3 bearable shaves max.

So that was $11.87 for 40 shaves. (I know a 20 pack was 2 cents less, but it would have been close) that would have been $108.31 per year on blades if you shaved every day, and a lot did.

$108 in 1951 money works out to $1,282 in 2023 money.

If I don't use a DE, my go to cart is the Mach 3, probably the best cart ever made. It's well respected here. A lot of B&B's use it as a travel razor etc.

I can pick up a Mach 3 handle and 4 carts for about £8.50 ($10.39) tomorrow. I can get 12-15 good shaves from a Mach 3 cart, using DE shaving techniques. That's 48-60 shaves for just under the 1951 real money amount for 40 shaves.

So not much has changed really if you look at it. The great thing about 1951 though was that you were getting an all brass Super Speed for free, which would definitely be still shaving today. Now you get a plastic handle.

Your Gillette 195 cost you $1.95 between 1958-61 when they were made, and you got 6 blades free. That would have been $20.03 in 1959 money if yours is an E-1 to 4.

The same game. Give you a handle for free and a few blades, then buy the blades after at a premium. Gillette are consistent!
I enjoyed your analysis. The only thing I might question is your assumption of 2-3 shaves per blade. Most men shaving in the early 50s lived through the Depression. The habits learned then died hard and they weren't quick to dispose of anything.

As the title says, are you mocked, teased, kidded, ridiculed because of your decision to use and perhaps (probably) collect DE blades and safety razors, soaps and creams and brushes?
I'm about 6 months into this journey and I'm surprised that if I mention my newest passion to friends or relatives, they give me a thousand-yard stare and sort of mutter, "Mmmmm. Well, okay."
I've added a birth year and other vintage Gillettes to my little razor arsenal and you would think people would at least appreciate the historical aspects of it. But noooooo! They kind of clear their throats and switch the subject to sports or something. 🤣
Even my wife, who isn't retired yet or have any real hobbies, rolls her eyes when I bring up a new purchase.
"That's nice, dear." 🙄
I mean, I'm only being half serious here. I don't really care all that much what people think. I got over that years ago, when I was in my youth. But nonetheless, I'm a little surprised that more people, particularly men, don't express at least some interest in me choosing safety razors over cartridges or electric shavers after all these years. I'm the naturally curious type, so had I been engaged in a conversation with someone about the subject years ago, I would have been all ears.
So here I am being curious again, wondering if any of you guys find that your friends have zero interest in this hobby/pursuit/interest or if you've been joined in brotherhood with a friend or two or if you just reached the conclusion years ago that we're all anomalies in this modern age of plastic razors and left it at that. 🤣
I would have to say, if mocked they do it behind my back. Most people appear to show a genuine interest and seem to like the idea. Ask questions and think its neat to still use a brush with soap and a vintage razor. How many take it to the next step, who knows but I am sure some have. I mean some of the people I start a conversation with about it seem more interested in it than I am so I must have helped convert a few.

My dad (without any warning) got me a Barrister Bookcase to use as a display and my wife is the one who told me to get my collection out of the draws and display it (removing her books as my collection slowly takes over a new shelf). She even tried to give me the second bathroom to redecorate to include all the displays I want but my daughter has taken over that space so that is on hold for now. She may roll her eyes as packages show up but I think that should be expected. On the flip side, she will also point out razors, brushes and even found my second oldest Old Spice shave mug that I missed at an antique shop. So I can take an eye roll as I open a new box and get asked what I got today. Parents are supportive to the point of enabling and calling me to see if I want something they just found at a flea market, etc.

I did not want to respond to this thread until I had considered my answer, but it seems like an interesting and thought-provoking question to me….

Mocked? No. It is vulgar and cruel to mock somebody who is enjoying something and doing nobody harm. I do not know anybody who would do that, and it is no coincidence that I do not know people like this. I try not to be like this myself. People who mock others really only mock themselves.

I am far more interested in how I view my own participation in the shaving hobby. And that is something I do think about. On one hand I have always held the view that hobbies in general are uncool and wasteful to engage in. The most interesting people are usually those who have no hobbies - they spend their time socializing instead and learning things. I am also sympathetic to the buddhist notion that attachment and desire cause only suffering, and intellectually I know this is true. We should let it all go.

Nevertheless I do enjoy my shaves and my shaving ritual has been enhanced dramatically by the excellent razors, brushes, and soaps that this hobby has led me to, as well as improving my shaving technique. A really good shave makes me feel good all day, and is often the one thing in the day that I derive most happiness from. The dissatisfaction of a bad shave plays on my mind all day, but I can turn that to optimism and purpose by learning something from it that I will try for my next shave.

What does all this mean? I think I am saying that this is not a hobby for me. It is rather a ritual that I strive to perfect. Like the idea of ‘quality’ in Pirsig’s Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance, which I re-read periodically. The quality is not in the thing itself, but in the way I approach it and the mindset I bring. At least that is what I derived from this exceptional book.

Although I have a lot of shaving gear, I do not think collecting shaving equipment would bring me any joy - on the contrary, in fact. But learning to get a good shave, and deriving satisfaction from the process and the appreciation and understanding of my tools - that seems very worthy to me. If somebody asked me about shaving I would talk about it in those terms.

Top Bottom