What's new

Are YOU guilty of collecting cheap "wetshaver" fragrances?

I have been reading this fragrance blog for the last several days, and ran across an interesting/amusing blog entry (A Note to "Newbies" - on From Pyrgos's blog for reference).

"Another danger is what I call "collection confirmation bias." You have a fully formed opinion of a certain type of fragrance, and only partially formed opinions of others, and your collection is limited to your bias, and you automatically assume you smell terrific. Chances are only 50/50 that you're right. I see this all the time on Badger & Blade. That community is full of guys who collect cheaper "wetshaver" fragrances. Their bias is typically for things that are inexpensive and old-school. Many of these fellows wear this stuff exclusively, and they think they smell terrific. But do others agree? With such a limited range in their collections, it's likely they appeal to other people half of the time, and the other half they're actually annoying everyone around them. They've stopped on the one kind of fragrance they enjoy, and failed to diversify. A stopped clock is only right twice a day.?"

I have seen so many instances of what I imagine the fragrances he's referring to on this board and on facebook groups might be. So my question to you guys is; what fragrances do you think he's referring to exactly? Whether you are reliving a certain point in your life with each wearing of one of these (or several of these bad boys- totally me), and/or you genuinely love them and don't care what anyone else thinks (this is me too). I will get the ball rolling here as just a sort of fun examination of our favorite cheap "wetshaver" fragrances.:001_cool:

All the cheap dollar/cvs/walgreen's frags like skin bracer, old spice, pinaud clubman, brut, etc.
Grey Flannel
Drakkar Noir
Aspen

Oh, probably some of those.

First thing to spring to mind was more along the line of artisan EdTs or EdPs. CF Ghost Town Barber and Fine American Blend EdT, for instance.

Kinda a... well, I don't agree with the quote. "They think they smell terrific" That's kind of the goal, IMO. If I like the way a thing smells, I like it. If I feel like 'expanding my range', I'll probably have gotten tired of something and no longer think I smell terrific.

My version of that assessment might be, "The think they smell terrific. Therefore, it's none of my damn business whether or not they have the slightest interest in investing in a closet full of Creeds or whatever."

Yes, I resemble that accusation.

I have Aqua Velva, Old Spice (vijon), Florida Water, Barbasol Pacific Rush, and Clubman in my rotation. I really don't care much about the other people, except the wife. I like them and my wife is 'okay' with them. If it's a special occasion, then I'll use her preferred scent. For regular workdays, I make 'me' happy.

I think the blog entry was hinting that a lot of us stick to our small universe of fragrances, and so we don't really stray too far from these timeless favs. On a side note, how are you liking those Fine EDTs? I have a few of the Zcent Razorock ones, and they're pretty good.

I think the blog entry was hinting that a lot of us stick to our small universe of fragrances, and so we don't really stray too far from these timeless favs. On a side note, how are you liking those Fine EDTs? I have a few of the Zcent Razorock ones, and they're pretty good.

Haven't tried any, myself. Though I am curious about either of the Rive Gauche clones.

My version of that assessment might be, "The think they smell terrific. Therefore, it's none of my damn business whether or not they have the slightest interest in investing in a closet full of Creeds or whatever."

Yes, I resemble that accusation.

I have Aqua Velva, Old Spice (vijon), Florida Water, Barbasol Pacific Rush, and Clubman in my rotation. I really don't care much about the other people, except the wife. I like them and my wife is 'okay' with them. If it's a special occasion, then I'll use her preferred scent. For regular workdays, I make 'me' happy.

Totally agree!

Jovan Musk, Brut, English Leather, Old Spice, Skin Bracer, Canoe, Jade East, Wild Country, Stetson...

Rocking a frag is more about confidence. If the frag gives you confidence, that will come through.. If you wear your Aqua Velva without apology then you'll always smell great.

That being said, I love Pyrgos's blog, I can get stuck there for hours, one of the best fragrance writers I've encountered..

Not everyone can afford to (nor should everyone feel the need to assimilate into) a high end frag head. If you have means and desire, by all means do so. But challenging niche scents can turn up as many noses as Clubman or Stetson. Wear what you like, and be conscious of your surroundings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jovan Musk, Brut, English Leather, Old Spice, Skin Bracer, Canoe, Jade East, Wild Country, Stetson...

These are the sorts of things I pictured when I read "wetshaver fragrances" in the OP, with the exception of Skin Bracer and maybe Old Spice.
I see things like Skin Bracer, Florida Water and AV as more aftershaves than fragrances; I use them to treat my skin after a shave, rather than fragrance my body. I happily wear a complementary frag like Brooks Brothers 1818 over Old Spice.

As an aside, I think I've only read one post of Pyrgos', many years ago, and he seemed like a bit of a bell-end, tbh. Variety is the spice of life, so I appreciate his encouragement to try more things, though it could have been said in a less condescending manner (but I suppose that wouldn't get as many blog comments and views).

I wear what I like. Some are "cheap" drugstore frags, some old Avon, and a few are newer ones. I like what I like, and I don't wear what I don't like - doesn't matter to me what others think.

And I don't think I'm "that guy".

When I first started wetshaving, my eyes were opened to the world of fragrances. I started off getting the usual suspects that everyone here is familiar with - Floris, Trumpers, Penhaligon's, etc. From there it didn't take long to get into niche fragrances (and I thought SAD was a deep rabbit hole). I still wear and love a lot of my "wetshaving" fragrances, but I love variety too much to stick with just those.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't collect anything 'cheap'... lol

I have expensive tastes. :)

+1 I admit to being somewhat prejudice against cheap stuff in any category. I have found that quality and price tend to go up together. But one of my favorites is Eau des Baux and it's only about $50 for quite a large bottle. I have a couple of others that were cheaper than that, but please my nose. I don't use aftershave.

We all have scents that please us, and scents that are a bit offensive to our nose. Here's the rub: the same scent that I like might be one of your offensive scents. I think the only way you can be "that guy" is to apply so much that people can escape your cloud. I think cologne should only be enjoyed by people quite close to your person.

Some people are allergic to cologne, which shouldn't be much of a problem if you're wearing it close to the vest. Your idea of confident wearing might be my idea of stinky.:001_huh:

I have a lot of cheap aftershaves. i also have a lot of expensive colognes and edt's. My goal IS to smell good to myself. I spend more time with me than anyone else. If you can smell me while we're sitting at a conference table and you're not part canine, then I wore too much fragrance. if you're my wife you're snuggled up to me and like the way I smell, then my fragrance is the right choice. If you're not my wife and snuggled up next to me...

I buy and use what appeals to me.

My job is not to "smell good" for the rest of the planet.

Cost is not a determining factor in what I use.

I have a lot of cheap aftershaves. i also have a lot of expensive colognes and edt's. My goal IS to smell good to myself. I spend more time with me than anyone else. If you can smell me while we're sitting at a conference table and you're not part canine, then I wore too much fragrance. if you're my wife you're snuggled up to me and like the way I smell, then my fragrance is the right choice. If you're not my wife and snuggled up next to me...
LOL! Now that's funny....

I tend to use balms, so the fragrance is usually low-key regardless.

I should also note that I don't go out of my way to buy expensive things (sometimes) but it just happens to work out that way.

It's why I'm looking at Traeger/Louisiana grills smokers, it's why I use Japanese steel chef knives, drive an VW, or why I tend to eat at fine dining restaurants when the Mrs. and I, go out for grub.

It just seems to work out that the stuff I tend to buy is more on the expensive side... if I find something of great quality for cheap, I'll buy it; I just have a hard time finding cheap things that are quality products.... *shrug*

Last edited:
I buy and use what appeals to me.

My job is not to "smell good" for the rest of the planet.

I wear what I like. I don't wear fragrances to please others, other than my wife. If you think I smell terrible (and it's not due to severe over application) then you can go fall in a hole for all I care. One should never care about pleasing strangers who you will likely never meet again (but that shouldn't be taken as permission to be a douche either).

I've got a couple 6 fl oz bottles of Pinaud Clubman, which I use sparingly, and a 1 oz bottle of Drakkar Noir I've only used once. The latter I bought with more of an intention to use a sample for a cheaper, better performing clone.

I'm more guilty of collecting not-so-cheap "wetshaver" fragrances, at the moment a bottle of Penhaligon's Sartorial and an old can of YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. Is current Azzaro Pour Homme not cheap enough? I've got a bottle of that too.

Top Bottom