What's new

Are YOU guilty of collecting cheap "wetshaver" fragrances?

I also love "mid prices scents" like 4711 and Taylor Of Old Bong Street.
Must be the new cannabis infused lineup.... :D

It's not hard at all spending this much on fragrances. I get a chuckle when I think back to one of the reasons I started wetshaving years ago - "it is much cheaper than cartridges and canned goo."
I haven't received my first custom SR yet, and I'm trying to find funds for the next... lol

I have some balms, but no fragrances yet but I could see it getting very expensive, very quickly... lol I read somewhere on the forum about "D&G The one".... I'm curious about that one in particular.

Last edited:
My ;Moto is Happy Wife Happy Life!

I use Clubman, AV, Skin Bracer, Ivy Club Spice, Florida Water, Aspen, Canoe, Grey Flannel, Polo Green and Blue.

I can see where Frompyrgos is coming from, since those "cheap barbershop scents" have been around forever, but more importantly, are synthetic and bastardized beyond recognition at this point. Clinging to them is done either out of thriftiness or a deliberate, blind attraction to an old name.

Still, though, there are plenty of decent barbershop-type fougeres that, while they don't cost six dollars per bottle, also don't smell like they came from the drugstore, like Azzaro Pour Homme, Houbigant Fougere Royale or Eau de Guerlain.

That said, I still love my Tabac Eau de Cologne, which is to Germans what Old Spice is to Americans.

I also love "mid prices scents" like 4711 and Taylor Of Old Bong Street.

I only have TOBS Eton Collge EdT, i should really look into buying more of these. 4711 and its flankers are incredible. I just wish they lasted/projected longer. :badger: I would definitely not lump these into the cheap wetshaver fragrance category, in spite of their really low price point.

Good expensive frags smell better than cheap aftershave any day. That doesn’t mean cheap aftershave smells bad. As previous posters have mentioned, confidence and not using too much of any scent make it attractive. If you like it a lot you will be confident.

Buying a cheap aftershave you don’t like.....no biggie. Buying an expensive frag that is no good.....you really feel stupid.

Buying a cheaper frag that smells great......genius!

I read somewhere on the forum about "D&G The one".... I'm curious about that one in particular.
This is one of the better designer fragrances IMO. Very nice tobacco type fragrance. My problem with it is it only lasts a few hours on me. I may be mistaken, but I think they release an EDP or more concentrated version a few years ago that was supposed to have better longevity.

Exactly what is a “wetshaver” fragrance? Because my dad used an electric exclusively and doused himself daily with these so called “wetshaver” fragrances.

This is one of the better designer fragrances IMO. Very nice tobacco type fragrance. My problem with it is it only lasts a few hours on me. I may be mistaken, but I think they release an EDP or more concentrated version a few years ago that was supposed to have better longevity.
Definitely an awesome fragrance, not exactly sure how much stronger the EDP is compared to the EDT, though.

That question is the purpose of this thread:badger:
Anyone who starts wetshaving on this forum will most likely be using some drugstore brands. If they stay long and play on the fragrance forum they might venture into more expensive fragrances. I sure spend money on fragrances! Sounds to me like wetshaving fragrances are drugstore brands.

Good point. That's the definitely the "gateway drug." But even if you venture out into fragrances, there is definitely a certain route that we tend to go down. Like Rive Gauche or Acqua di Parma Colonia. Not inexpensive by any means. I guess it makes sense that barbershop type frags would be more appealing :001_rolle

While I have a few "higher dollar" aftershaves, I still prefer and use my drugstore aftershaves more often. I guess I'm in it for the whole tradition thing, using what my dad and grandpas would have used.

proxy.php

Buying a cheap aftershave you don’t like.....no biggie. Buying an expensive frag that is no good.....you really feel stupid.
Exactly so. Add a couple of bucks for shipping too.
I need to be able to sniff before I buy, and I do not get much opportunity (in my region) to sniff some of the more exotic scents.
Hence my go-to scents of MSB, Old Spice, and Proraso Red.
It does not explain why I bought that AV Blue even after sniffing it in the store. What was I thinking? Then again, I didn't risk much by buying it.

I'm tempted to hunt for a vintage bottle.

They go for niche prices these days, but the performance is supposed to be nuclear.
I have several vintage bottles. I will say the performance is better than the bottle I bought a few years back, but not as much better as some would have you think. I don’t have the brand new reformulation. I guess it’s longevity is just as good as vintage. I do think the vintage smells a little different.

Top Bottom