What's new

Are YOU guilty of collecting cheap "wetshaver" fragrances?

The way reviewers talk about vintage Azzaro, you'd think it'd have Jacques Bogart performance.
I would not agree. It’s not a longevity or sillage monster in any version. I do love it in any version though. One of my favorites.

Paco Rabanne ph, on the other hand, is way better vintage. One of my few other favorites.

What I'm about to write is about me, and how I perceive some 'wet shaver' frags when they are on me.
For the most part, I don't really notice fragrances on strangers when I am out and about. So for all I know, the stuff I do not like on me could very well be smelling great on someone else. I just don't pay attention unless I am being clobbered by someone's heavy-handed application (dousing) of whatever body wash was on sale at the local Dollar General.
Anyway ... not too long ago I read the blog post the OP referred to and I had some thoughts on the author's opinions and questions. Without getting too into it, here's my take on some of the wet shaver's fragrance stuff... I am more inclined to call them 'drug store frags' though.

I enjoy smelling Pinaud Clubman original, but only when I get my haircut. I don't want to wear it at home or at the office. To me it comes off a dated and low-rent. The heavy powdery finish reminds me of the people on the subway that smell like they apply handfuls of baby powder before heading out for work.

I gave up Aqua Velva after a small spill stained a stone sink top blue. I do like the fragrance, but the memory of having to bleach out the stain kills it for me.

Brut cologne was what I thought smelled great back when I was a teen going to dances in my high school's gymnasium. Today - to me - it smells like cheap floor cleaner. Fabuloso comes to mind.

Stuff like Stetson, Old Spice, English Leather - etc.... I think that either my sense of smell has evolved to where those frags come off more like bad chemistry experiments, or the frags themselves have, over time, devolved through reformulation or aging into little more than room deodorizer-level fragrances. Or both.

I like Proraso red - the green was ok too. I have Clubman vanilla but I am on the fence with it. Cheap frags on the horizon - Osage Rub, Myrsol, Floid amber.
I do not expect any of them to 'wow' me, but I will, probably, eventually, get to try them. I go to Pasteurs regularly, so it's hard to not pick up stuff like that sometimes.

Stuff like Stetson, Old Spice, English Leather - etc.... I think that either my sense of smell has evolved to where those frags come off more like bad chemistry experiments, or the frags themselves have, over time, devolved through reformulation or aging into little more than room deodorizer-level fragrances. Or both.

I couldn't agree more. When i was little, i remember my grandfather would splash on his old spice and smell amazing. And that stuff would project and fill up a room, but in a good way. The stuff i've smelled at CVS is definitely not the same thing. The fact that the aqua velva stained it to that degree worries me about ever putting something like that on my face! Have you tried sartorial? Pasteur's might have it.

Pens Satorial? Yes -I would not put that in the ‘cheap’ category though. But it is a decent option for barbershop’ essence when cost is irrelevant.

Pens Satorial? Yes -I would not put that in the ‘cheap’ category though. But it is a decent option for barbershop’ essence when cost is irrelevant.
Absolutely, I saw that you mentioned you used to like Brut, and I seen on fragrantica that the two are compared. Although, i don't really see the resemblance at all, i figured you would like Sartorial.

I wasn't really a fan of it to be honest; at this point in time, I want to keep 'barbershop' fragrances in the barbershop for when I get my hair cut. But I never got 'barbershop' from Brut.
Anyway...back OT - I may try one of the Myrsol splashes soon. I don't want to collect cheap Frags - but I do want to experience more of them. If I do manage to find one I like, it would be great if I was able to pick it up in person instead of having to order it online.

As an aside, I think I've only read one post of Pyrgos', many years ago, and he seemed like a bit of a bell-end, tbh. Variety is the spice of life, so I appreciate his encouragement to try more things, though it could have been said in a less condescending manner (but I suppose that wouldn't get as many blog comments and views).

This is a good example of why I don't read those blogs. "If you don't buy what I buy, you are doing it wrong and are inferior to me...". Utter nonsense!

His statement that only 50% might think that person smells great will apply to other fragrances too. Some will like them, some won't. I own three fragrances which I think work well on me, but each would be worn at different times. None are drugstore classice, but none were expensive either. However, there 's no guarantee of how many others might like it on me or not, irrespective of the price tag, branding, or whether it falls into that authors narrow minded band of what "should" be worn.

I've stopped following his blog, after reading it for years. He suffers from confirmation bias, exactly what he is accusing many wetshavers to be suffering from. I've read him engage with others who disagreed, and from that I have a pretty good idea of the type of person.

I can see where Frompyrgos is coming from, since those "cheap barbershop scents" have been around forever, but more importantly, are synthetic and bastardized beyond recognition at this point. Clinging to them is done either out of thriftiness or a deliberate, blind attraction to an old name.

Still, though, there are plenty of decent barbershop-type fougeres that, while they don't cost six dollars per bottle, also don't smell like they came from the drugstore, like Azzaro Pour Homme, Houbigant Fougere Royale or Eau de Guerlain.

That said, I still love my Tabac Eau de Cologne, which is to Germans what Old Spice is to Americans.
I agree 100% with this post. However I thinkthe under lying theme is why not branch out, take a chance. Just my .02$

I have a lot of cheap aftershaves. i also have a lot of expensive colognes and edt's. My goal IS to smell good to myself. I spend more time with me than anyone else. If you can smell me while we're sitting at a conference table and you're not part canine, then I wore too much fragrance. if you're my wife you're snuggled up to me and like the way I smell, then my fragrance is the right choice. If you're not my wife and snuggled up next to me...

Love this - this is the best scent post I ever read. Sharp, 100% on the money and just darn funny. Well done @emwolf :lol::lol::lol::punk:

Top Bottom