What's new

Are there movies or TV shows you won't watch because of an actor/actress is in a starring role?

Kevin James TV shows. They are like a 'husķy man's fantasy'. Him tossing off mean-ish one liners to his long suffering hot wife who stays with him for some reason. I've never seen any of his movies.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Kevin James TV shows. They are like a 'husķy man's fantasy'. Him tossing off mean-ish one liners to his long suffering hot wife who stays with him for some reason. I've never seen any of his movies.
I actually liked him in a movie that he did with Will Smith, though obviously Smith carried the movie.

FarmerTan

Those whose bad behavior is discovered and remain unrepentant. Kevin Spacey for instance. I loved him in “The Usual Suspects.” Now I can’t stand the film. Lori Laughlin is another. OJ Simpson. The list is depressingly long.
Yeah, not a one of them is a Jimmy Stewart, that's for sure!

Jimmy Stewart? Meh . . . I mean, I don't actively avoid his films, but . . .

except for It's a Wonderful Life. It may be a wonderful life, but it's a bloody awful movie, imo.

FarmerTan

except for It's a Wonderful Life. It may be a wonderful life, but it's a bloody awful movie, imo.
I'm not good at making a point sometimes, ha, I was referring to his off screen life. At least compared to the actors he doesn't enjoy.

FarmerTan

Yeah, it could've been edited a little better in my opinion. (Now I'll get flamed by that @KeenDogg fella!!!)

For me it’s gotta be Tatum Channing I find him utterly repulsive. I really want to vomit when I see his face!!! Or Channing Tatum whatever his name is. Why is he even in movies...my blood is boiling just thinking about it!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I watch very little tv or current release movies nowadays ... usually nothing to do with objecting to a particular actor or actress ... but just not having the time for the current offerings in general.

I am "meh" on the whole industry. Or on the idea of spending a couple hours each evening sitting in front of the idiot box.

Re: Keanu Reeves, the John Wick movies are the best I've seen him in because the part plays to his "strength" if you want to call it that - kind of a dead delivery which lacks emotion for the most part. I think that marriage works well and is very entertaining. He was hilarious in "Always Be My Maybe", a small part with all the self-deprecating humor.

Re: Ellen DeGeneres, I grew tired of her shtick years and years ago and I can't watch her without getting irritated. I'm not at all surprised with all the negativity falling on her now. I think she has a serious sadistic streak as is evidenced by how much she takes delight in scaring people on her show and that game show she does. She seems to get off on other people's suffering.

Re: Tom Cruise, I can't get past the "cult of personality" that is Tom Cruise no matter what he plays. When I look at his character, all I can see is Tom Cruise. Having said that, I did like him in "Collateral". Maybe because he played against type as a heartless hit man. It was a pretty good movie and he played an excellent character!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Nope, not me. I’ll watch anything if I find it entertaining. Unless you are a super duper famous A list celebrity I wouldn’t know who you are anyway. Much less how you are off screen.

Re: Keanu Reeves, the John Wick movies are the best I've seen him in because the part plays to his "strength" if you want to call it that - kind of a dead delivery which lacks emotion for the most part. I think that marriage works well and is very entertaining. He was hilarious in "Always Be My Maybe", a small part with all the self-deprecating humor.

Re: Ellen DeGeneres, I grew tired of her shtick years and years ago and I can't watch her without getting irritated. I'm not at all surprised with all the negativity falling on her now. I think she has a serious sadistic streak as is evidenced by how much she takes delight in scaring people on her show and that game show she does. She seems to get off on other people's suffering.

Re: Tom Cruise, I can't get past the "cult of personality" that is Tom Cruise no matter what he plays. When I look at his character, all I can see is Tom Cruise. Having said that, I did like him in "Collateral". Maybe because he played against type as a heartless hit man. It was a pretty good movie and he played an excellent character!

100% agree. Though I do not mind Cruise movies (you know what you're getting), Collateral is the only one I will rewatch.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I don't enjoy watching actors who aren't 'believable.' A guy like Depp or Day- Lewis becomes the character- Depp really IS Whitey Bulger or Jack Sparrow or Hunter Thompson. Day-Lewis disappears and becomes Hawkeye or Christy Brown or Bill the Butcher, and when you see him you don't see either 'him' or the other roles that he has played. These guys just become the character they are playing.

It's the guys who can't do that who I find annoying. Matt Damon is one. Every film I see with him it's like Will Hunting becomes a spy or an infantry man or whatever. Or take 'Glory.' A great story, script, and in general a great cast. Except for Mathew Broderick. The film is ruined for me because the idea of Ferris Bueller leading the black troops into battle is just beyond belief.

I don't enjoy watching actors who aren't 'believable.' A guy like Depp or Day- Lewis becomes the character- Depp really IS Whitey Bulger or Jack Sparrow or Hunter Thompson. Day-Lewis disappears and becomes Hawkeye or Christy Brown or Bill the Butcher, and when you see him you don't see either 'him' or the other roles that he has played. These guys just become the character they are playing.

It's the guys who can't do that who I find annoying. Matt Damon is one. Every film I see with him it's like Will Hunting becomes a spy or an infantry man or whatever. Or take 'Glory.' A great story, script, and in general a great cast. Except for Mathew Broderick. The film is ruined for me because the idea of Ferris Bueller leading the black troops into battle is just beyond belief.

Well said. Great examples on both sides.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig

I agree with you on “cult of personality“ that is Tom Cruise. I did see past it in Valkyrie, which I put off watching for that reason but was pleasantly surprised. Some other really good character actors in it also.

Top Bottom