What's new

Charlton Heston dead at 84

To reiterate what someone said on here, I don't care what the man's political views were. He was a fine actor and a contributor to American culture.

May your memory be eternal, Charlton.

Anybody else here feel like you've walked into a funeral to honor and remember the life of a person that was greatly respected, and you are dismayed to find a rather large group of people in the room, arguing over something rather loudly and disturbing the rest of us who have come to honor the late, great Charlton Heston?

Anybody else here feel like you've walked into a funeral to honor and remember the life of a person that was greatly respected, and you are dismayed to find a rather large group of people in the room, arguing over something rather loudly and disturbing the rest of us who have come to honor the late, great Charlton Heston?

+1

I think this one was doomed to fail from the start (if it has), since it wasn't explicitly expressed in the OP that this was meant to be a tribute thread only. If it's not spelled out in plain black and white, it leaves the door open for all types of interpretations from all our various members.

Makes it difficult when threads of this nature arise, but perhaps a lesson for all of us, for future threads of a similar vein. Sorry if I've offended anyone in any of my postings in this thread.

I think this one was doomed to fail from the start (if it has), since it wasn't explicitly expressed in the OP that this was meant to be a tribute thread only. If it's not spelled out in plain black and white, it leaves the door open for all types of interpretations from all our various members.

Makes it difficult when threads of this nature arise, but perhaps a lesson for all of us, for future threads of a similar vein. Sorry if I've offended anyone in any of my postings in this thread.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this. Not meaning to be argumentative, but if the original poster had wanted to, say, deride the life of Heston, posting a neutral-to-positive obit of the man wouldn't be the way to do it. If you walk into a funeral, are you uncertain whether people are there to commemorate the life of the person or to spit on his grave?

Look at it this way, if you are walking buy a group of guys and overhear them talking about the passing of some person, and are unclear whether they are paying tribute or ridiculing, would you just jump in and tell them he won't be missed? Not likely.

There are many people I dislike for their political views or personal actions, but I take no pleasure in their death, nor do I even wish it, or believe that they will not be missed, or that the world would be better without them. In my life, such thoughts have been reserved for a select few - generally you have to have murdered people (such examples from my lifetime were the execution of Ted Bundy, the prison murder of Jeffrey Dahmer, etc.). Simply because you disliked a person's political views is a horrible reason to speak disparagingly of that person upon the event of their death following the ordeal of living with such a horrible disease as Alzheimers. I've seen first hand what it does to people, and would not even wish it on the worst of serial murderers (primarily because I prefer a much quicker method of dispatching them).

If you didn't like the man, fine. But the man just died. He has left the debate. Holding your tongue doesn't seem to be too much to ask.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this. Not meaning to be argumentative, but if the original poster had wanted to, say, deride the life of Heston, posting a neutral-to-positive obit of the man wouldn't be the way to do it. If you walk into a funeral, are you uncertain whether people are there to commemorate the life of the person or to spit on his grave?

I don't think this thread's OP and the actual funeral of Charlton Heston are comparable. Was this supposed to be the online version of his funeral, or was it originally presented more as an informational type of post, with a cut and paste directly from the AP wire feed?

Look at it this way, if you are walking buy a group of guys and overhear them talking about the passing of some person, and are unclear whether they are paying tribute or ridiculing, would you just jump in and tell them he won't be missed? Not likely.

Not if I was just walking by, but if I were in a meeting of like-minded people and this conversation had happened and I started listening in, if I had an opinion I'd voice it... that is to say, I'd feel comfortable enough in that situation to offer whatever opinion I might have.

There are many people I dislike for their political views or personal actions, but I take no pleasure in their death, nor do I even wish it, or believe that they will not be missed, or that the world would be better without them. In my life, such thoughts have been reserved for a select few - generally you have to have murdered people (such examples from my lifetime were the execution of Ted Bundy, the prison murder of Jeffrey Dahmer, etc.). Simply because you disliked a person's political views is a horrible reason to speak disparagingly of that person upon the event of their death following the ordeal of living with such a horrible disease as Alzheimers. I've seen first hand what it does to people, and would not even wish it on the worst of serial murderers (primarily because I prefer a much quicker method of dispatching them).

If you didn't like the man, fine. But the man just died. He has left the debate. Holding your tongue doesn't seem to be too much to ask.

I agree with you in general, however I don't recall ever stating my opinion one way or the other about him -- this whole time I've simply been defending everyone's right to post their opinions of the subject matter, in what was originally not presented as a tribute-only thread. In hindsight, that has shown to not be correct, but at the outset it would appear that not everyone was under that impression. Nor do I think anyone has expressed happiness or approval that he had Alzheimer's. If I've missed anyone celebrating or mentioning they were glad he contracted that disease, then that person(s) stands alone.

I believe that when you start a topic on these forums, there is an implicit invitation for people to express their opinions. This is obvious. So when you list someone's obit, for better or worse, it's the same principle.

Personally, I don't think there's anything sacred about someone's death and if I didn't like them, it's a perfect opportunity to note that. If I were invited to someone's funeral, it would be different.

I've realized over the last year, because of another situation, that people have a real taboo about "talking ill of the dead." I think it's nothing more than superstition and it's got nothing to do with respect or anything similar.

i prefer to think that storm was using it out of ignorance rather than ill intent.\

I'll bet you do.

I am a Professor who teaches Political Science in a decent sized university. I know what the term means, I used the term tongue-in-cheek, and I damn, damn, damn, damn sure don't have to explain myself to you.

Honestly, could you be any more self-righteous?

He probably did more epic movies than any other actor...

And now, in passing, he's caused an epic thread. Who would have thought that a simple post about the passing of an actor (Granted, he was a political activist, but still) would cause such a debate? Maybe everybody just needs to take a breath, have a shave, take a hit off the Velva, and chill for a while. Life's too short for this kind of ire.

And now, in passing, he's caused an epic thread. Who would have thought that a simple post about the passing of an actor (Granted, he was a political activist, but still) would cause such a debate? Maybe everybody just needs to take a breath, have a shave, take a hit off the Velva, and chill for a while. Life's too short for this kind of ire.

what is it today with me seeing words that aren't there!!! (and no, you'll have to figure out what I thought I saw in this post!)

"The Internet is for lonely people. People should live."

Charlton Heston

===

"Beam me up and out of here Scotty."

2bits

Ok, you people. Time to inject a little levity into this thread.

TCM is showing Charlton Heston movies all day long for whoever is interested.

I just got home in time for "The Hawaiians". Never seen it, or even heard of it.

TCM is showing Charlton Heston movies all day long for whoever is interested.

I just got home in time for "The Hawaiians". Never seen it, or even heard of it.

Yeah, I've been watching too. I've never actually watched all of Ben-Hur so I'll do that tonight. .. in between the Rangers - Devils game.

Top Bottom