What's new

Are there movies or TV shows you won't watch because of an actor/actress is in a starring role?

For whatever reason be it their politics, off screen personality or on screen portrayals will you boycott their content?

I bring it up because the GF wanted to watch Honey Boy the other evening and I can't stand Shia LaBeouf so she watched the movie and I played crib for a couple hours.

I saw Andrew Zimmern on a TV food show recently in the UK. He was in a Muslim country and didn't seem to understand that the Muslim ladies did not want to be kissed by him, however innocently. It was real cringeworthy viewing. He thought it was very funny - complete disrespect for other people's religious beliefs and wishes. I will not watch anything with him in again - complete twonk!!

About 90% of actors and actresses popular the past 20 years are on my never-watch list. Tom Cruise, Leo the Crappio and Jack Black are high that list. Actresses' names are harder to remember as they all look alike and consist of mostly plastic parts and Creature-From-The-Black-Lagoon lips. It's probably the reason my wife and I prefer black and white US films, and Brit or Aussie TV shows.

As for Shia LaBeouf, I liked him in Holes. Was he in anything else?

I don't know about an all-out boycott but I find these personalities annoying or I find it very hard to get past who they are. They are all a negative influence on my viewing experience and I'm less inclined to watch something if they are in it.

Queen Latifah
Ellen Page
Kristen Stewart
Tom Cruise (for the most part, he's OK in a couple of things)
Julia Roberts
Nicolas Cage
Susan Sarandon

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I have some actors on my cringe list, but sometimes I'm surprised. Just one example is Kristen Stewart, I wasn't a fan but I thought she was very good in Seberg.

Robert De Niro which is a shame. I enjoyed Midnight Run and Meet the Parents. He was stunning in Taxi Driver. But now, sorry Bob... Buh, bye.

The bigger topic is paying your money to be entertained. It used to be clear cut. Now you pay your money and when actress ABC or XYZ walks across the screen the first thing that comes to mind is her advocating for the endangered Molly Fly of Tasmania and how we must preserve its habitat.

And now it has moved from film to sports. You want to forget about life for a while and just watch the ballgame. Instead you are guilted into having been born in the first place. The Grievance Culture offers nothing constructive, it can only tear down.

Now you pay your money and when actress ABC or XYZ walks across the screen the first thing that comes to mind is her advocating for the endangered Molly Fly of Tasmania and how we must preserve its habitat.

That's definitely not the first thing that comes to my mind. I would not even be aware of that, most likely.

The bigger topic is paying your money to be entertained. It used to be clear cut. Now you pay your money and when actress ABC or XYZ walks across the screen the first thing that comes to mind is her advocating for the endangered Molly Fly of Tasmania and how we must preserve its habitat.

And now it has moved from film to sports. You want to forget about life for a while and just watch the ballgame. Instead you are guilted into having been born in the first place. The Grievance Culture offers nothing constructive, it can only tear down.

Big +1 to all this. But I don't want to dwell on too much negativity! Great thread, by the way! May be a lot of fun....

Jack Black, definitely.
Will Ferrell.
Ellen Degeneres. She had a "comedy" series before she became the media darling everybody but me thinks she is. Her "shtick" was a stammering, confused bookstore employee. Painful to watch. Now, she's under fire, and you'd think I'd be rubbing my hands together with glee, but I'm not:sob:.... Good luck with all those classic "Ellen" scares now.

I kind of can't stand Ahhnold, as in Schwarzenneger. Don't know if I spelt the name right, but I'm not gonna Google to find out....

Don

For whatever reason be it their politics, off screen personality or on screen portrayals will you boycott their content?

I bring it up because the GF wanted to watch Honey Boy the other evening and I can't stand Shia LaBeouf so she watched the movie and I played crib for a couple hours.
A tough one.

Had a casual (non-romantic) girlfriend who asked me to go see movies with her. Figured "why not?" and went Dutch to the movies with her. She had a "thing" for Bruce Willis. After paying for and watching "12 Monkeys" and "The Fifth Element," I felt like I lost big time playing 3 Card Monte:facep:...

I'm pretty neutral about Bruce Willis, by the way.

Don

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have gotten over it, but for some reason I just COULD NOT watch Tom Cruise in ANYTHING.

It's weird, because I had no problem watching him in that movie where he dances in the movie to the Bob Seger song, but shortly after that he just drove me nuts. No idea what came over me. Must have been my fault, as not that long ago we re-watched "Rain Man" with our son. Had no allergic reaction whatsoever!

Excellent thread.

Someone mentioned Rosie O'Donnell. I was fine with her until she had my lookalike, Tom Selleck on her show years ago and tried to shame him about his feelings about guns. Since then I find her to be someone I would have a hard time.... watching in anything. Lol, I'm sure she would be heartbroken to read this!

Top Bottom