What's new

Are Parker Duofolds More Trouble Than They Are Worth?

I came across a vintage Duofold at a local shop, but it looks as though it may be more trouble than it’s worth. After removing the blind cap, the button fell out. I was hesitant to look any further for fear that something may break. The price tag was $150, but the shop keeper said that the seller would come down at least 25%. The colors look a little mismatched, but I guess that Duofolds can discolor over time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Duofolds are not more trouble then they are worth, but that is WAY out of line.... Unless it is a Mandarin Yellow

Duofolds are not more trouble then they are worth, but that is WAY out of line.... Unless it is a Mandarin Yellow

Brian,
Thanks for the advise, I should have included photos.
$Parker duofold 1.jpg$Parker duofold 2.jpg

Duofolds, like 51s are a model that lots of dealers think are worth big bucks regardless of the condition.

Good pens, but often found in the wild at prices that simply are not reasonable - especially if they have not been serviced/refurbished.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That color material is Moderne Black and Pearl, somewhat uncommon and often ended up discolored like that. An experiment attempting to discolor the cap to match would be interesting. It is believed that years of outgassing of sulfur from the rubber sac in the barrel causes the damage.

A fully working Duofold Sr like that (without the broken filler mechanism and missing cap ring) at $150 wouldn't be out of line at all, except your picture makes me think Duofold Jr. -- How long is the pen when capped?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I stand by my assessment. a buck and 1/2 will buy you a refurbished senior all day long

I am reminded of a story told by a custom knife maker ... at a knife show, showing a knife to a passer-by ...

"nice .. how much?"
"seven fifty"
"okay" (takes out wallet, hands over $10 bill ..."
"um ... seven hundred and fifty ..."
"oh ... " (puts bill away ... hands knife back and walks away ...)

Top Bottom