What's new

Aqua Velva Glass Bottles 1956-2010

Aqua Velva Ice Blue was first sold in 1956 in a glass bottle. Williams opted for plastic shatterproof bottles in February of 2010. Pictured from left to right are all the bottle styles that were produced in glass.
IMG_4062 (3).JPG
IMG_4063 (3).JPG

The old heavy glass bottles were the best, and the scent was different as well....

Attachments

• 7f080d6e4040d1ddad9135a65fd7545d.jpg
    7f080d6e4040d1ddad9135a65fd7545d.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 0fta8c6lnbty.jpg
    0fta8c6lnbty.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • fKDi3kO.jpg
    fKDi3kO.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 17
  • il_fullxfull.4392435527_3bzn.jpg
    il_fullxfull.4392435527_3bzn.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 16
  • il_fullxfull.4681374681_l4fa.jpg
    il_fullxfull.4681374681_l4fa.jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 18

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
This is my only Aqua Velva, marked 4/1/59 on the box. It is a totally different colour and scent to the much later 200ml blue Spanish Aqua Velva which I did not care for. I assume the contents of my bottle are correct as the set seems unused. You do not see Aqua Velva, or any Williams products often in the UK so I was surprised to find this.

20220902_152400.jpg
20220902_152417.jpg

20220902_152438.jpg

This is my only Aqua Velva, marked 4/1/59 on the box. It is a totally different colour and scent to the much later 200ml blue Spanish Aqua Velva which I did not care for. I assume the contents of my bottle are correct as the set seems unused. You do not see Aqua Velva, or any Williams products often in the UK so I was surprised to find this.

View attachment 1676718View attachment 1676717
View attachment 1676716
That's an awesome Williams set, Richard. I believe this bottle style was sold here in the United States from 1940-1949, though I think UK Williams may have continued to use the same style for years afterward. That label on your stick is just about perfect, and I was surprised to see 'The James B. Williams Company' instead of 'The J.B. Williams Company' written on it. 😲 Very cool!

The old heavy glass bottles were the best, and the scent was different as well....
Yes, there's nothing like a glass bottle for aftershave. You just have to be a bit more careful that they don't hit the bathroom floor on occasion. Henri et Victoria uses a nice glass bottle for their aftershaves, and their labels are unique. If you get even a small amount of water on your hands, the label becomes very sticky, making it more difficult to drop. I don't know of any other outfit that uses labels like Henri et Victoria.

Nice. Wonder what the dates were. I remember having the last bottle in the first row and the first bottle in the last, I believe.

On that amber colored A/S, I wonder about the scent ... Skin Bracer did that in the past with kind of a "Spice" version.

I bought some blue aftershave in this bottle, and the guy at the front said he knew old aftershaves - and this one was Aqua Velva. No label, but sort of familiar and very oily feel after the alcohol evaporated. The blue one on the right - is it an AV bottle?

Attachments

• IMG_5788.JPG
    IMG_5788.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 19
I bought some blue aftershave in this bottle, and the guy at the front said he knew old aftershaves - and this one was Aqua Velva. No label, but sort of familiar and very oily feel after the alcohol evaporated. The blue one on the right - is it an AV bottle?
I don't think that's an AV bottle, though I might be wrong. Hopefully, another will stop by and identify it.

I had posted earlier, my husband had an Aqua Velva after shave in the late 1970's. It was called "Spice" The bottle was just a plain flat rectangular bottle about 3"x2" and just a twist on topper. The colour of the after shave was like an amber, or bronze color, and it had just the name, Spice and a smaller aqua velva's label. The scent was so unique. I know they discontinued this scent, but was really hoping someone had some, or knew where there was still some being sold. Praying for this to happen.

I had posted earlier, my husband had an Aqua Velva after shave in the late 1970's. It was called "Spice" The bottle was just a plain flat rectangular bottle about 3"x2" and just a twist on topper. The colour of the after shave was like an amber, or bronze color, and it had just the name, Spice and a smaller aqua velva's label. The scent was so unique. I know they discontinued this scent, but was really hoping someone had some, or knew where there was still some being sold. Praying for this to happen.
Though Aqua Velva never did sell a spice scent that I know of, Mennen Skin Bracer did. The product was released in the late 1960s as Wynter Spice and later renamed Cool Spice. It's a very nice scent and there are quite a few bottles for sale on that big auction site that I'm not allowed to mention by name.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Though Aqua Velva never did sell a spice scent that I know of, Mennen Skin Bracer did. The product was released in the late 1960s as Wynter Spice and later renamed Cool Spice. It's a very nice scent and there are quite a few bottles for sale on that big auction site that I'm not allowed to mention by name.
You can mention eBay, just not point to any auctions.

I think it was Wintry Spice, incidently. Thanks for the memory.

You can mention eBay, just not point to any auctions.

I think it was Wintry Spice, incidently. Thanks for the memory.
You are correct, good sir! I should have remembered what they called it, as I have a few bottles of the newer version and this one bottle of the original. Cheers!
IMG_4415(1).JPG

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding

Is this not Aqua Velva Spice?

1700766404832.png

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Aqua Velva Ice Blue was first sold in 1956 in a glass bottle. Williams opted for plastic shatterproof bottles in February of 2010. Pictured from left to right are all the bottle styles that were produced in glass. View attachment 1676653View attachment 1676654

View attachment 1676716

View attachment 1752981
1700804969124.png
...all around guys;

aftershave-1-jpg.837262
"[Hmmm...] There's something about an Aqua Velva man". Company Slogan

Sorry, but they did make an aftershave called Spice, because my husband had a bottle of it. (True fact) I will say, I don't remember if his had the label Mennen on it, so I'm not sure if it is that one. Then, I had someone post earlier this pic of an AV Spice, in the regular AV bottle, but which I had never seen before, but maybe it is the same Spice scent, as the one we had, Idk. But the bottle my husband had was a 2"x3" flat bottle, and the aftershave was a bronze or goldish colour. I know it is discontinued, but I'll keep searching. Thanks

Attachments

• AV.jpg
    AV.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 4

View attachment 1752981

Yes, I just had someone send that to me, and wow, I was totally shocked, as I had never seen this AV Aftershave before. It could be the same as the one my husband had, but again, why did his come in a squarish glass bottle, and not the regular AV bottles. But....again, it did say AV on the bottle he had. A real Mystery to me! :(

View attachment 1676716

Yes, I see, not sure if this is the same Spice scent that my husband had. Also, someone did mention in my postings, that they had looked into this topic, and apparently the AV Spice I'm looking for, had only been produced for a short time during the 1970's. So, unless, they redid this Williams one??? Thanks tho for the info.

Last edited:
Nice. Wonder what the dates were. I remember having the last bottle in the first row and the first bottle in the last, I believe.

On that amber colored A/S, I wonder about the scent ... Skin Bracer did that in the past with kind of a "Spice" version.

Yes, there was an amber coloured AV aftershave. As I mentioned, my husband had it, and it was called Spice, and it had the name Aqua Velva on the bottle, but not by Skin Bracer. Thnx

I had posted earlier, my husband had an Aqua Velva after shave in the late 1970's. It was called "Spice" The bottle was just a plain flat rectangular bottle about 4"x3" and just a twist on topper. The colour of the after shave was like an amber, or bronze color, and it had just the name, Spice and a smaller aqua velva's label. The scent was so unique. I know they discontinued this scent, but was really hoping someone had some, or knew where there was still some being sold. Praying for this to happen.

Top Bottom