What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Sending out the parcels may not have resumed in my city, thanks to Postal services delivery of already sent packages has resumed.

Today I received a loaner razor from another wet shaver from India.

He is currently enjoying the Masamune/ Nodachi combination Tatara razor, and very graciously gave me an opportunity to try out the RazoRock Lupo 95 razor.

Just when I packed up the Karve CB razor, and waiting for the services to resume I received the Lupo 95.

I'll use this opportunity to try out the foreign blades exclusively with this razor.

I don't know how long I'll keep this razor, seems like for a week or two.
Ā 
If i may ask, sir! It is a Timberwolf alright and the handle looks like a Yaqi one, but not one i have seen before! Is it a Yaqi??? If it is, it must be a sort of private edition that they didn't commercialize. Or what other sorcery is this?
Picked this brush up on a trade from a fellow member here. Itā€™s an AP Shave Co handle, and I believe the knot came from Maggard Razors. I really enjoy this brush! Super soft tips, decent backbone, easy splay, and itā€™s a lather monster. Have a great day!
Ā 
Still in

Razor: Parker A1R head on RR Super Knurl Handle
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (4)
Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip
Soap & Aftershave: RR Irish Countryside

Finished up the soap today..:)

IMG-2448.jpg

IMG-2447.jpg
Ā 
Picked this brush up on a trade from a fellow member here. Itā€™s an AP Shave Co handle, and I believe the knot came from Maggard Razors. I really enjoy this brush! Super soft tips, decent backbone, easy splay, and itā€™s a lather monster. Have a great day!

Ah, i see! I vaguely remember having read that Maggards was probably using rebranded Yaqis. So this explains a lot. I have a Yaqi Timberwolf. I agree, together with the plissofts, they are my favourite knots. Thank you for satisfying my curiocity!
Ā 
Still in

Razor: Parker A1R head on RR Super Knurl Handle
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (4)
Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip
Soap & Aftershave: RR Irish Countryside

Finished up the soap today..:)

View attachment 1259469

View attachment 1259470

How wonderful it must be to complete a GRUME and at the same time finish a soap! A double success! :thumbup1: Interesting container... It could come handy for hosting other soaps... Someday i will have to try Razorock soaps, but we are still years away from that. In the meantime, since i failed already my GRUME i ordered also a TOBS Jermyn hard soap. Just "one for the road", before entering the consecutive Sabbaticals and breaking the restraint records. :biggrin1:
Ā 
Finally, almost 2 months of shaves

You want to finish your soaps quickly? Buy a big horse brush, like the one i did. I had one shave with Proraso cream. I reloaded 2 times. In total i would say i used at least double the cream i usually use. Unbelievable! I have never had before a brush, that i had to reload with cream at each pass! The brush itself is wonderful.
Ā 
SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (34)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco
  • Re-knotted Rubberset 203 w/28mm boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
I think this blade is nearly done. I've stretched it quite a bit and I'm starting to experience some tugging and less-than-efficient behavior. These one-quick-pass shaves have contributed to the longevity, but alas, the end is nigh.

Onward!
Ā 

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210429_225933.jpg

After last night's unpleasant experience I thought I would go for a mild razor, in this case the Yaqi closed comb razor/Astra SP(6). For the soap I wanted to use Proraso red because I haven't used it for a while and today the weather has a decidedly wintery feel to it.
I'm glad I did use the red because the scent was great, and the performance was excellent. The shave was nice and hot so no chopping lumps out of myself. Finished up with a BBS so well worth it
Ā 
Still in.

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant ā€œFOCSā€
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (10)
Brush: Chisel and Hound ā€œBuffalo Valleyā€ with 26mm V9 Fanchurian
Bowl: Captainā€™s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Soap, Aftershave Splash and Balm: Murphy and McNeil Naid

This is my first time ever getting to double digits with any blade šŸ„³. The first 8 shaves with the FOCS/ Kai duo were fantastic, the last 2 were still good. The performance of the blade is starting to deteriorate, I got some tugging on the ATG pass, needed some buffing and got noticeable blade feel that wasnā€™t there on the previous shaves. Despite this, I still had a good shave with BBS on my face and neck and DFS on the tough areas of my chin and lip. Had no cuts, weepers or irritation. Still undecided if Iā€™ll try another or toss the blade šŸ¤”

8BE1C377-7D19-496D-B60C-47795AFFE76C.jpeg

Iā€™ve really enjoyed the last 3 months with you fine gents but I wonā€™t be joining you for May unfortunately but Iā€™ll be back for June and then at least the next few months after that (especially through Black Friday). I joined the GRUME in January so that I could try to gain control of the compulsive purchases that I had been making, many of them I could have done without and I was successfully able to complete 3 in a row (as long as I survive tomorrow). I want to be able to still make shaving related purchases but in a controlled manner and things I actually want, not just for the sake of buying something new and accumulating stuff I donā€™t use. Iā€™m allowing myself to make 2 purchases, one of them Iā€™ve wanted since before I joined B&B and havenā€™t been able to get. Hopefully Iā€™ll be able to control myself and if not, although Iā€™m not officially in the May GRUME, I may come to you gents to talk me off the treewhaling ledge haha
Ā 
Last edited:
Still in with just 9hrs to go UK time! I finished up both my Clinique face wash and Simple Toner today so I'll be stocking up over the weekend and sitting out of May's GRUME. Planning on buying Stirling Tea Tree Oil Toner and will be adding soap samples to cancel out shipping costs. I am also likely going to purchase a couple of creams to replace ones I relegated to brush break in duties this month due to performance/scent not being up to par with other products in my den.

Good luck to everyone in May's GRUME and see you all in June!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- MeiƟner Tremonia Pink Grapefruit soap (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar Aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Moisturiser

Tools
- Gillette King C
- BIC Chrome Platinum (2)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar
Ā