What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210422_111009.jpg

Today's shave used the Yaqi closed comb/Personna platinum(12) combo the cream was TOBS coconut lathered with the Yaqi purple haze.
Needed a quick shave so the Yaqi closed comb did the honours as it's mildness meant I could shave quickly safe in the knowledge that I wouldn't suffer cuts or irritation. That was the case with this shave and despite a DFS finish I enjoyed the shave enormously.

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (29)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco
  • Yaqi 24mm Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
Yesterday was pure madness, so no shower and no shave. Luckily, SWMBO likes my "personal musk". Enough is enough, though, so I snuck in a quick shower and two-pass shave today. Now I'll be an acceptable companion in the car, going to my son's soccer game...so long as I don't talk.

Onward!

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (29)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco
  • Yaqi 24mm Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
Yesterday was pure madness, so no shower and no shave. Luckily, SWMBO likes my "personal musk". Enough is enough, though, so I snuck in a quick shower and two-pass shave today. Now I'll be an acceptable companion in the car, going to my son's soccer game...so long as I don't talk.

Onward!
Love to know how you get soo many shaved out of a Nacet 🤔🤔

Love to know how you get soo many shaved out of a Nacet 🤔🤔
Step One is to keep it in the razor and out of the bin. ;)

It probably starts with the fact that I'm happy with DFS. That gets me clean and smooth, with no ingrowns and generally without bloodshed or irritation, which is the goal (for me). If I tried for BBS, I would need a transfusion on a regular basis and I would have massive raw patches. At most, I do two passes (WTG, then XTG/ATG) and some strategic clean-up. As you have read, though, I often do a single pass, which is a kind of buffing WTG/XTG hybrid, since my whiskers grow in many directions and lay flat. In that sense, the blade isn't doing as many passes as it would be for someone doing 3+ passes.

I maintain my blade a bit. While it's still in the razor after being rinsed when the shave is done, I dry the top cap by "stropping" it on a hand towel, dragging it away from the edge of the blade. I also flip (and clean) the blade after every six shaves, mainly because that's easy to remember since I use a six-sided die to track the blade usage.

Finally, I try to make the wettest lather I can while allowing it to maintain slickness, cushion and general form. I don't like drippy lather that flings everywhere, but I prefer it right on that edge.

I have no idea if any or all of these factors - or, perhaps, the sum of the parts - is what lets me keep using the blade long after most would have chucked it. It's fair to say, though, that there's an even chance that it's just a matter of being stubborn. :)

Will concur on a wet lather helping with blade longevity. And hey, once in a while a quick palm strop can help a little bit as well. Helps to wipe off the scum. I’ve binned blades the second I get a shave with a few weepers but a lot of the time it’s more user error related. Sometimes if you feel like you need to bin a blade, give it another shot. You may be surprised.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I generally get at least 7, and quite often 10 or more shaves from a blade. I seldom intentionally go past 12 or 14 shaves- if I do it's because I've lost count. I do nothing special to them- I rinse the razor well, and that's about it. I do like thinner, slick, wet lather- I'm not one for the big Santa beard.

I'm also still in. Great shave tonight with a Gillette Silver Blue in the red tip Super Speed (probably on shave 8 or 9), a Simpsons Eagle G3 in Super, Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme soap, and Stetson Sierra cologne to keep that bergamot scent going awhile.

Soo many brushes, so little time...
Yesterday the BAD kicked in.
Even went in to the Shavemac site and started the Brush configurator.
But calmed down and managed to get out before it was to late.

So I'm still in.

Todays shave:

Gillette Rocket
Voskhod (2)
Hans Baier Silvertip
RR Irish Countryside Soap & Aftershave

IMG-2407.jpg

Don't think the soap will see another week...

IMG-2408.jpg

Have a nice weekend everybody!

Still in and rationing my toner!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Energizing Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar shaving cream (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar Aftershave Balm (sample)
- Jack Black Dry Erase Ultra-Calming Face Cream

Tools
- Parker 26c
- Astra SP (2)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Soo many brushes, so little time...
Yesterday the BAD kicked in.
Even went in to the Shavemac site and started the Brush configurator.
But calmed down and managed to get out before it was to late.

So I'm still in.

Todays shave:

Gillette Rocket
Voskhod (2)
Hans Baier Silvertip
RR Irish Countryside Soap & Aftershave

Don't think the soap will see another week...

Have a nice weekend everybody!

Stay strong, sir! The month is almost over! It would be a shame to fail the GRUME now! You are so close!

Alas, I have fallen. It was the browsing that got me. I had been looking for a jade brush, or anyway a deep green stone-handled brush, and I had started to believe that there was no such thing. So of course it was safe to browse for it, since I would not find it.
1619199355437.png

The clincher was something almost unfair: this handle is made from Belgian Coticule! The handle is a sharpening stone! I'm a sharpening guy, and the idea of having a brush that was not only stone, not only deep green, not only beautiful to my eyes (just look at that gold streak!), but was made from a sharpening stone, was too much.
I might have endured, if this had just been a normal stock item, but it was a one-off. The idea of enduring the remaining week of the GRUME, checking each day to see whether someone had bought MY BRUSH, was just too much. I succumbed.

May those still standing show more strength than I did.

My God! We have an emergency, gentlemen! 2 brush casualties within a few hours! A slaughter! Medic!!! :a46: (@FoolishMortal)!

P.S.: @sarir97: Sir, i am afraid, there is no such exemption. It is just me, being fond of Yaqi sales, being very...ehm...forgiving about the matter! You have my complete understanding!

@Herrenberg Dear sir, if not for anything else, you gave a heroic fight and you fell only before a unique looking brush. Brush casualties have my deepest understanding! If you have to fail a GRUME, do it for a brush! I hope we will be together in May's GRUME!

Last edited:
Still in but no shave today. This is a long boring rant so please feel free to just pass on by.

I just had, just now, a Gamechanger .68 in my shopping cart. I had the hardest time removing it and not making the purchase. I have what seems to me a large number of razors. Somewhere between 20 and 30 of them, don't quote me it could be more. They are not all in one location and I have never counted them. I have razors I have never used and the ones I do use frequently give me great shaves. Those shaves are likely as good as anything out there.

I have blades. I have several hundreds of blades. I have 300 GWS alone. It is unlikely I will ever get through my blade stock. I have blades I have never tried, and I still find myself putting blades in my shopping cart only to take them out a few minutes later.

I have brush knots. I have at least 20 knots of all different kinds. I also have at least ten brushes. Most are inexpensive synthetics, but I have a couple reasonably inexpensive low grade badger brushes too. I have brushes I will likely never use. I found myself shopping for Boar brushes and I had two in the cart. Then I checked my knot collection and found I have two excellent Boar knots. I have had those knots for well over a year and do not even remember making the purchase. I did make myself a Boar brush and I am going to try putting the rest of my knots to good use. I will likely build some brushes and give them to family members with some homemade soap.

I have soaps, I have more soap than I will likely ever use. Now that I am making my own I find it difficult to use that which I have purchased. There are a few I would like to try but in the soap department I am reasonably safe from making purchases.

I browse local drugstore shelves for shaving gear that I can't live without. I spend hours in thrift and antique stores looking for shaving gear. It is insane the amount of time this hobby is taking up. I might have a problem. Thankfully I have never been much of a drinker, substance abuser, or a gambler, but I do see the appeal.

I guess I should just be thankful this is not vintage camera or a golf addiction. Oh, I have those addictions too.

Not sure if I will make it or not but I am doing fine today. I am wishing you all well and have high hopes of our success in our restraint.

Still in but no shave today. This is a long boring rant so please feel free to just pass on by.

I just had, just now, a Gamechanger .68 in my shopping cart. I had the hardest time removing it and not making the purchase. I have what seems to me a large number of razors. Somewhere between 20 and 30 of them, don't quote me it could be more. They are not all in one location and I have never counted them. I have razors I have never used and the ones I do use frequently give me great shaves. Those shaves are likely as good as anything out there.

I have blades. I have several hundreds of blades. I have 300 GWS alone. It is unlikely I will ever get through my blade stock. I have blades I have never tried, and I still find myself putting blades in my shopping cart only to take them out a few minutes later.

I have brush knots. I have at least 20 knots of all different kinds. I also have at least ten brushes. Most are inexpensive synthetics, but I have a couple reasonably inexpensive low grade badger brushes too. I have brushes I will likely never use. I found myself shopping for Boar brushes and I had two in the cart. Then I checked my knot collection and found I have two excellent Boar knots. I have had those knots for well over a year and do not even remember making the purchase. I did make myself a Boar brush and I am going to try putting the rest of my knots to good use. I will likely build some brushes and give them to family members with some homemade soap.

I have soaps, I have more soap than I will likely ever use. Now that I am making my own I find it difficult to use that which I have purchased. There are a few I would like to try but in the soap department I am reasonably safe from making purchases.

I browse local drugstore shelves for shaving gear that I can't live without. I spend hours in thrift and antique stores looking for shaving gear. It is insane the amount of time this hobby is taking up. I might have a problem. Thankfully I have never been much of a drinker, substance abuser, or a gambler, but I do see the appeal.

I guess I should just be thankful this is not vintage camera or a golf addiction. Oh, I have those addictions too.

Not sure if I will make it or not but I am doing fine today. I am wishing you all well and have high hopes of our success in our restraint.

Dear sir, i could sign everything you wrote about brushes, blades and soaps. I have more brushes and blades than you do. I don't want to know how many. You are luck to make your own soap! This way you can add whatever scent you like!

This is why GRUME is. If you allow me, i will repeat my advice. When you have the urge to buy, inspect your existing stash. Put everything out, look at them one by one, then put them back in their stash. It has a very calming effect on me.

I think it comes a point, where it becomes something like the bug of the collectionist, who can't stop collecting. Only this is shaving supplies, which is strange. But they are shiny or clean and with round shape, so they are inviting, aren't they? So you want more, although you have more than what you can use. GRUME, GRUME, GRUME!

Top Bottom