What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I like to ration mine. I should only use it on special hoidays like National Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day, National Corn Chip Day, National Funeral Director and Mortician Recognition Day, National Read a Road Map Day, National Hairball Awareness Day...

I only have 7-8 pucks and at $1.49CAD, so they were spendy.
Everything is a joke with you, isn't it?

" Shaving forums are actually designed to encourage you to buy more and more stuff. Don't forget that. In a way, staying away from this and similar boards would probably be good advice, but I didn't say that... did I? "

This, was one of the best @Owen Bawn advice. I didn't login in this forum for a day. My urge to buy soaps, dissipated! Amazing! :laugh: I may not fail this month's GRUME after all!

M

mtcn77

mtcn77 has left the chat.
PS: Getting;
  • "Proraso Azur Lime",
  • "Tabac Original" soaps,
  • "Shark Super Stainless" blades,
  • "Bentley Fragrances" shaving kit bag and,
  • "Osma" alum block delivered 'today'.
This challenge could not have started at a worse time for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in a supermarket yesterday and I bought a 2l bottle of Olive Oil. For cooking that is, nothing to do with shaving (or so I thought).

I made scrambled eggs for breakfast using that Olive Oil. Loved the scent, wonderful thick, extra virgin Italian Olive Oli called Monini.

And then, then well... the devil in me... I used a little bit of THAT damned oil, just a tiny bit, a few drops, rubbed it on my face as pre-shave.

Have I broken the rules? Does this tinny incident count? Am I out of the game now? OMG! OMG! OMFG!

My world is falling apart!

😪 😓 😭

1618564358090.png

I was in a supermarket yesterday and I bought a 2l bottle of Olive Oil. For cooking that is, nothing to do with shaving (or so I thought).

I made scrambled eggs for breakfast using that Olive Oil. Loved the scent, wonderful thick, extra virgin Italian Olive Oli called Monini.

And then, then well... the devil in me... I used a little bit of THAT damned oil, just a tiny bit, a few drops, rubbed it on my face as pre-shave.

Have I broken the rules? Does this tinny incident count? Am I out of the game now? OMG! OMG! OMFG!

My world is falling apart!

😪 😓 😭

View attachment 1252214

Well, the oil, is probably bad for natural hair brushes. I believe i have read a warning about this in some shaving brush leaflet. But in your synthetic, i don't think it has effect, unless it creates some problem to the glue at the base of the knot. Otherwise, it is good and cheap too. Extra virgin olive oil costs about €4-5 per liter, which is much cheaper than most preshaves and as an added bonus, as you say, you can cook with it!

I use a tiny bit of glycerin as preshave. They sell it on Amazon in big bottles. About €10-15 for 1lt. There is a liquid form and a less liquid form. They both work. It makes any lather slicker. But you can't cook with it! So, you made a good deal! On the other hand, i like variety, so i do use natural hair brushes too. So oil wouldn't be good for the brush.

Otherwise, since it works for you, a fine, economical and...tasty idea! :chef:

mtcn77 has left the chat.
PS: Getting;
  • "Proraso Azur Lime",
  • "Tabac Original" soaps,
  • "Shark Super Stainless" blades,
  • "Bentley Fragrances" shaving kit bag and,
  • "Osma" alum block delivered 'today'.
This challenge could not have started at a worse time for me.

I had the Proraso Azur Lime and Cypress/Vetiver yesterday in the cart. I emptied it this morning. Please don't remind me of them!

The Shark Super Stainless i have them by the hundreds. Very smooth blade for daily shaves, but not sharp. If you shave every various days, it will probably tug against the grain, unless you manage to soften your whiskers well.

Still in

Kamisori shave #12
Feather Professional blade #2

3 pass BBS
Excellent shave today.

Observations were made in the failed shave with the Feather Professional blades, after some adjustments, I was able to get a great shave today.

I feel like my face could pass the cotton ball test, outstanding.

IMG_20210416_160150.jpg

Have I broken the rules? Does this tinny incident count? Am I out of the game now?
Since you didn't purchase 2 litres of oil to be used as pre shave, I don't think it will be enough to put anybody out of GRUME.

Besides, this is a restraint based group, it is upto you to decide.

Ps: To be out, you need to be in as well.

Unless I missed something, you haven't formally joined in the April GRUME yet.

If this is the case, and if it is still 15th of April by your local time, you are most welcome to join.

Edit: How was the experience with the Olive oil as pre shave?

Still in

Kamisori shave #12
Feather Professional blade #2

3 pass BBS
Excellent shave today.

Observations were made in the failed shave with the Feather Professional blades, after some adjustments, I was able to get a great shave today.

I feel like my face could pass the cotton ball test, outstanding.

View attachment 1252236

Since you didn't purchase 2 litres of oil to be used as pre shave, I don't think it will be enough to put anybody out of GRUME.

Besides, this is a restraint based group, it is upto you to decide.

Ps: To be out, you need to be in as well.

Unless I missed something, you haven't formally joined in the April GRUME yet.

If this is the case, and if it is still 15th of April by your local time, you are most welcome to join.

Edit: How was the experience with the Olive oil as pre shave?
OH boy... I thought my sense of humor would be appreciated, but then you guys took it seriously.

I was being SARCASTIC when I put that Olive Oil post above... I couldn't care less about GRUME April or GRUME whatever... I'm a minimalist anyway - 1 razor / 1 brush.

I guess I should restrain my desire to make others laugh, as obviously it didn't work. Ahem.

FWIW - the Olive Oil was wonderful as a pre-shave. That I am saying in all the seriousness, no pun intended, no joke. For real.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
OH boy... I thought my sense of humor would be appreciated, but then you guys took it seriously.

I was being SARCASTIC when I put that Olive Oil post above... I couldn't care less about GRUME April or GRUME whatever... I'm a minimalist anyway - 1 razor / 1 brush.

I guess I should restrain my desire to make others laugh, as obviously it didn't work. Ahem.

FWIW - the Olive Oil was wonderful as a pre-shave. That I am saying in all the seriousness, no pun intended, no joke. For real.
Aren't you the man who's working on the list of the "Top 100 Soaps for Residual Slickness"? How's that project coming, anyway? Can you give us a sneak preview and tell us what soaps you have at #s 57, 81, and 93 on the residual slickness chart?

Thanks, pal.

Aren't you the man who's working on the list of the "Top 100 Soaps for Residual Slickness"? How's that project coming, anyway? Can you give us a sneak preview and tell us what soaps you have at #s 57, 81, and 93 on the residual slickness chart?

Thanks, pal.
Actually it's Top 10, not 100, but thanks for asking, pal.

I thought I had answered that question back then: RESIDUAL SLICKNESS: Top 10 soaps of all time? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/residual-slickness-top-10-soaps-of-all-time.600344/post-11078835

Sarcastic or not, i found it entertaining! Monini is a good italian olive oil, although i prefer Farchioni. But, since you have a fondness about fine soaps and extra virgin olive oil, might i hint you to look up "Korres" natural products. They also have an olive oil series of skin care products. You might like it. My wife liked everything she bought from them. They have an american shop too. Happy shaves, sir, with or without olive oil as preshave (your choice!).

That is some good comedy that went over my head, sorry.:lol:

I hope you don't intend me, as i am not trying to make comedy. I am trying to ease tension. There is no reason to blacken our hearts over olive oil! And i am sure that many have thought before of using oil as preshave. One of my badger brushes had warning not to use oils with it. My wife did like the Korres products, why not propose them to a gentleman that appreciates the skin properties of fine soaps and also thought to use olive oil as preshave? I don't like much cosmetic creams and oils, i am a simple man. But my wife does like her fair share. Korres does really have olive oil skin products. One can google it! I know because of my wife!

Top Bottom