What's new

Anyone shoot competitively? Looking to upgrade

As the title says, I'm looking to upgrade to a gun that'll dual serve as a personal defense and competition ready pistol. I shoot in a weekly league at the local range with aspirations to delve into other classes of competitive shooting. Here are the background details and some things I'm looking for in a handgun:

- We shoot GSSF style; 10 rds in 15 seconds at 5, 7, 10, 15, and 25 yds at an NRA-D1 target (x, 10, 8, 5 pts respectively)
- I currently shoot a Sig Sauer M11-A1 in these competitions and average about a 472
- I also carry said Sig
- I own a few Glocks as mentioned in other threads. I can expound if necessary
- I have extensive knowledge and experience with various 1911's
- It must have non optical sights; would prefer tritium night sights if possible
- I would prefer 9mm or .45 ACP as I already own pistols in these calibers, but would be willing to expand
- I am open to almost all recommendations (probably other than Glock).
- Budget cap is $2k

Thanks for your help gentlemen

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here since you want to carry what you compete with and visa versa. Competition guns are antithetical to carry guns. A gun that gives you a competitive edge is likely not well suited to life and death real world concealed carry. Race guns have light triggers, extended do-dads, springs tuned to competition loads and are finicky and subject to malfunctions at times. Serious guns for self defense have heavier triggers for safety and reliability, trimmed down to bare necesities and function best with full power defensive ammunition. I know guys who compete with box stock Glocks and do just fine, but they are more interested in proficiency with defensive arms than highest score or fastest times. So you have to decide if you are training for the real world or just playing games.

I didn't necessarily say I will be carrying the new gun. I carry my Sig daily and wouldn't be looking to replace it. I guess what I meant by "personal defense" was more like saying, "I don't want a crazy race gun". One that would be well suited for reliable, accurate competition, but also would be comfortable having in my gun safe next to my bed (i.e. a gun that I can compete with but isn't designed purely for competition) (e.g. perhaps a beretta 92F or an Ed Brown 1911). If you need further clarification, I'm looking for something in the stock division of USPSA. I've done my training for the real world and am proficient with my defensive arms. Now I'm looking for something for "playing games" as you so eloquently put it..

Still open to recommendations/experience from someone who has any to offer

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
In that case, a 1911 based gun is just the ticket, either single stack magazine or a double stack mag such as offered by STI and others. Another alternative are those designs based on the CZ 75. Essentially you want a single action trigger with the short reset, like in the 1911 or CZ 75 clones. That would eliminate the 92F or a Glock in my opinion, YMMV. I used to compete, but that was quite a while ago and I used a single stack 1911. I'm not up to date on the current "stock class" regulations, they may have changed or may not. My suggestion is to go to a few matches, shoot what you have, see what everyone else is shooting and make your decisions on where you perceive your current gun falls short, if at all.

If Glock is off the table, I would consider a CZ based gun as mentioned above. Having said that, you could set up a Glock 34 ( 9mm) or 35 (.40 cal) or 41 ( long slide .45) like Robert Vogel ( arguably the best Glock shooter in the world today) does, get all of your holsters and pouches, buy a few thousand rounds of ammo and/or a dillion reloader with supplies, take a competiiton oriented class to get "Grandmaster" tips, pay a few entry fees and still not bust your budget.

I would also note that you should think about a fiber optic front sight ( v. all black or tritium) as those who are winning in IDPA and USPSA seem to be running them almost exclusively, usually in red.

YMMV greatly.

Great info gents,

If I was going to go Beretta, it would most likely be a Wilson Combat 92g brigadier tactical. It's DA/SA trigger has a reset similar to my Sig, but pulls in both actions with clean breaks at slightly less pull than what I'm used to. It's barrel is also .8" longer and it's sight radius is .4" longer. It's also available in fiber optic instead of tritium. The only reason I thought tritium is because it's what I'm used to, but a fiber optic is still in the picture if it's got legitimate performance improvements. Going 9mm is attractive since I already buy 9mm ammo in bulk, but I've shot .40 and .45 extensively as well. I have honestly thought about a g34, and could have it sent to a reputable gunsmith around here that builds competition guns (and has a few shooters that run their guns in competition way out of my league), but I just can't get behind them with confidence when I'm focusing on the fundamentals of good shooting even though I feel totally comfortable behind my g30 while tactical shooting. I think it has to do with the grip angle. It's odd, but that's the reason why I initially ruled them out. With that being said, I have grown great interest at what the people of Salient Arms have done. Decisions

If you are going to do any of the action pistol matches, the gun you have and shoot well will be fine, while the equipment you have is important, so much of these comps are mental and strategy, it could take years before you will be at the level where equipment will make a big difference. Someone mentioned Robert Vogel, I was lucky enough to take his class this past spring, while he did cover a lot of shooting skills- to win at the "game" he covered just as much strategy and discipline. Being able to draw and get and stay on target, reloading while moving. and many other factors will get you competitive. My humble suggestion is pick a class and practice with that pistol, practice dry firing and target acquisition, reloading and work on your physical conditioning. I enjoy the CDP class and use a .45.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1. Practice and training will generally yield better results than upgrading equipment, unless what you have is truly unsuitable for the task. Even those of us who "know guns and how to shoot" can benefit from advanced training. Over the years I have taken multiple classes from several top tier trainers and always learn something new.

USPSA Production set up of Robert Vogel
Glock 34-650
Sevigny Competition sight set (FO front)-90.00
Competition trigger sytem -150
Safariland 5189 holster and pouches-60.00

You are all in at less than 1/2 your budget. While Salient Arms et al is visually interesting, the cost/benefit ratio is questionable at best.

As you talked about buying 9mm in bulk, I did not spec out a conventionally rifled aftermarket barrel for a Glock which might give you a bit more accuracy and the ability to more safely shoot lead bullets. Presuming you are shooting a FMJ type factory round, IMHO, until you are shooting sub 4 inch groups or better, on demand (indoors, outdoors, good weather, bad weather) at 25 yrds, you are not coming close to being able to outshoot the accuracy potential of a Gen 4 Glock in 9mm.

OTOH-You work hard for the money. You want what you want. I would also note that SIG has P226 USPSA editions in the 1200 ish retail which would more closely mimic your carry gun and the gun with which you presumably have the most time behind.

Top Bottom